TV Home Forum

Britain's Got Talent

Series 6 - FINAL (April 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
Badger264
The studio looks good but there is physically too much in the way for them to get a decent wide shot. The camera work has never really been a problem, I wonder if it has anything to do with Simon taking his best staff to X Factor USA, and so we have a new director?
NG
noggin Founding member
The studio looks good but there is physically too much in the way for them to get a decent wide shot. The camera work has never really been a problem, I wonder if it has anything to do with Simon taking his best staff to X Factor USA, and so we have a new director?

Same director as previous BGTs and X Factor UKs I believe - Jonathan Bullen.

Well known in the industry for his love of the wide shot.

Whilst Simon may try to take some personnel to the US, it will depend on Visa applications, and the union rules, as to how many key people can actually go. Getting Visas to work on entertainment productions made in the US for a US broadcaster is much trickier than getting Visas to work on factual shows made in the US but for a UK broadcaster. Similarly, taking key technical crew can be an issue if the facility you are working in is unionised.

Neither are impossible (the BBC took the original Strictly studio director to the US to launch Dancing with the Stars for ABC, and he's stayed out there) - but equally it isn't always as easy as it might appear.

Presumably Simon has also got a good idea of the talent in the US from working on American Idol and America's Got Talent?
Last edited by noggin on 3 June 2011 10:22am - 3 times in total
BR
Brekkie
So as always seems to happen after a few weak shows you get all the talent in one - I suspect Michael Collins and Razy will go through (though IMO Michael Collins needs a packet of lockets!), but personally prefered Pip & Puppy and the dancing Coleens.

Razy won hands down against Michael, though not too surprising considering his late call up, but I did feel with both it was kind of the same old, same old and we wouldn't get much more if we saw them tomorrow.
PT
Put The Telly On
(though IMO Michael Collins needs a packet of lockets!), .

It's obviously a style of singing, I thought it was very good.

I'm presuming you say the same everytime Chris Rea, Joe Cocker or Bono from U2 sing?
SG
SatGold
I just thought michael collins looked liked a large size justin bieber lol
BR
Brekkie
I think Michael Collins suffered from the medias need to brand someone "the next SuBo" in the opening episode of the series. He's good, but I wouldn't say he's outstanding and I think Jai and Ronan are better to be honest.

I'd have rather seen Pip & Puppy go through really as we've plenty of singers in the final already - and although Pip (and Puppy) are of course singers themselves, it ticks the variety axe box. Also as things panned out Jean Martyn is now officially the most talented woman in the competition this year as the only one to make the final - I'm not sure if it has been as male skewed in previous years.
:-(
A former member
A Comedy Central breakflash on BGT...

http://www.theidentgallery.com/misc/misc/COMCEN-2011-BF-XF-1.jpg
CH
Chie
I thought it was a burger? Anyway, that's a bit harsh. We've all been there.

Also as things panned out Jean Martyn is now officially the most talented woman in the competition this year as the only one to make the final - I'm not sure if it has been as male skewed in previous years.

Just two women made the final last year and three the year before, IIRC. At this rate, in 2012 there will be none!
BR
Brekkie
A shame to see Simon put his own agenda before the shows tonight and give a slot to an unknown American kid - someone who didn't even win. Indeed it would be nice if they showcased some of the winners from around the world throughout the week (they've got up to 40 a year to choose from!) rather than just going with the usual pop acts, along with the BGT alumni.

Also frustrating they gave the runner up of America's Got Talent one of the highest profile guest slots of the year but couldn't spare a night to invite Twist & Pulse back from last year as I'm sure most BGT fans would rather see their runner ups than someone they've never heard of.

Anyway, rant over and back to the show. I can't really call it, but I think the kids will be difficult to beat, with only Razy and surprisingly Paul stepping up for the over 16s. Glad too that Les finally got the criticism they returned, especially as he did the same routine yet again, just switching from one reality show to another to another.
:-(
A former member
Susan never been back on that show since 2009, so there no chance of twist and pulse. you are right about your comments
BA
Badger264
Twist & Pulse are one trick ponies. Once you've seen one performance you've seen them all. I'd rather see one of the other two winners or even SuBo but that little girl was good. It was probably an America's Got Talent promotional tool if anything.
BR
Brekkie
So she hasn't - I assumed it was kind of a given that she had. In series 3 though most of the guest slots were taken up by BGT alumni - but that came after a year where acts like Escala and Faryl Smith emerged (indeed it's quite sad looking it the final line ups for Series 2 & 3 compared to what we had tonight!)

I do think though considering the nature of the show they shouldn't just resort to the usual US music guests and look more at giving acts from the previous year some exposure. I guess though unlike Escala and Faryl, Twist & Pulse can't sell records.

Newer posts