TV Channel Codes

(July 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JR
jrothwell97
Nick Harvey posted:
Johnny83 posted:
Time to lock this me thinks

About 3.05pm on 29th July would have been a far better option, in my opinion.

It would still have been around twenty four seconds late.
TT
Tumble Tower
davidlees posted:
Tumble Tower, is there any chance you could find this woman and settle this? How old would you say she was in 1981? Is she likely to still be alive now?

Its possible that the conversation she had with the teacher didn't mean as much to her as it does to you but I'm sure she could remember it if she tried.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I think that's a rather long shot. If anything, I'd do better to contact the teacher herself, not the lady who walked into class. Finding the teacher or other lady would be difficult, at worst one or other may possibly have died, but alternatively either or both may have relocated from where they were living 26 years ago. If and when I manage to find either, they have both probably long forgotten that conversation. Are there many people who remember odd bits of conversation they had 26 years ago? Doubt it.
JO
Jon
Tumble Tower posted:
Are there many people who remember odd bits of conversation they had 26 years ago? Doubt it.

I've got a sneaking suspicion you would though.
TT
Tumble Tower
wells posted:
Tumble Tower posted:
Are there many people who remember odd bits of conversation they had 26 years ago? Doubt it.

I've got a sneaking suspicion you would though.

No way! Contrary to what you might think, the only bit that's stuck in my mind is what sounded to me like "It's on B2 today". All the rest is long forgotten.
ST
Stuart
Tumble Tower posted:
No way! Contrary to what you might think, the only bit that's stuck in my mind is what sounded to me like "It's on B2 today". All the rest is long forgotten.

And what a shame for all of us that you did remember that part. Just think how different the last 26 years could have been for you. You might have been an interesting and sane individual.
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
StuartPlymouth posted:
You might have been an interesting and sane individual.

Sane is, I suppose, a slight possibility.

Do you mind if I pass on the remainder of the sentence, however?
TT
Tumble Tower
Now as some of you will remember from my CBeebies Presentation thread, I recently typed in all the Sky EPG TV and radio channels. I was able to allocate codes to about a third of them, the rest, listed here, are still awaiting codes. Can anyone group them by broadcaster, e.g.
a) A few channels are owned by Setanta.
b) Create and Craft, Ideal World and a few others have a common logotype (house symbol), so must all be owned by one firm. What is it?

There must surely be other groups of channels which are owned by single broadcasters, just like EMAP own several channels, and Virgin own several channels. Does anyone know what belongs to whom?

As I've explained before, each code consists of a broadcaster code plus a channel code. The broadcaster codes are as follows:

4 = Channel 4 Television channels
5 = Channel 5 Broadcasting channels

B = BBC channels
C = Chart Show Television channels
D = Discovery channels
E = EMAP channels
G = God TV channels
I = ITV channels
M = MTV channels
N = Nickelodeon channels
Q = QVC channels
S = Sky channels
T = Turner channels
U = UKTV channels
V = Virgin Media channels
W = Walt Disney Company channels
X = Television X channels
Z = Zee channels

The upshot of this is, the following letters of the alphabet have already been used for broadcaster codes:

B C D E G I M N Q S T U V W X Z (16 letters).

Also two numerals have been used as broadcaster codes: 4 5

This just leaves 10 letters vacant for other broadcaster codes, as we find other broadcasters groups of channels on Sky. The remaining letters are:

A F H J K L O P R Y

If anyone is able to sort the remaining channels available through Sky Digital into groups by owner/broadcaster, I'd be most grateful for their work. Then one of the remaining ten leters could be allocated to each forthcoming owner/broadcaster, and individual channel codes added to the back end to form complete channel codes.
GM
GMc
How have you not been banned yet? Rolling Eyes You never stop!
JB
JasonB
Tumble Tower posted:
Now as some of you will remember from my CBeebies Presentation thread, I recently typed in all the Sky EPG TV and radio channels. I was able to allocate codes to about a third of them, the rest, listed here, are still awaiting codes. Can anyone group them by broadcaster, e.g.
a) A few channels are owned by Setanta.
b) Create and Craft, Ideal World and a few others have a common logotype (house symbol), so must all be owned by one firm. What is it?

There must surely be other groups of channels which are owned by single broadcasters, just like EMAP own several channels, and Virgin own several channels. Does anyone know what belongs to whom?

As I've explained before, each code consists of a broadcaster code plus a channel code. The broadcaster codes are as follows:

4 = Channel 4 Television channels
5 = Channel 5 Broadcasting channels

B = BBC channels
C = Chart Show Television channels
D = Discovery channels
E = EMAP channels
G = God TV channels
I = ITV channels
M = MTV channels
N = Nickelodeon channels
Q = QVC channels
S = Sky channels
T = Turner channels
U = UKTV channels
V = Virgin Media channels
W = Walt Disney Company channels
X = Television X channels
Z = Zee channels

The upshot of this is, the following letters of the alphabet have already been used for broadcaster codes:

B C D E G I M N Q S T U V W X Z (16 letters).

Also two numerals have been used as broadcaster codes: 4 5

This just leaves 10 letters vacant for other broadcaster codes, as we find other broadcasters groups of channels on Sky. The remaining letters are:

A F H J K L O P R Y

If anyone is able to sort the remaining channels available through Sky Digital into groups by owner/broadcaster, I'd be most grateful for their work. Then one of the remaining ten leters could be allocated to each forthcoming owner/broadcaster, and individual channel codes added to the back end to form complete channel codes.

Why have you bought this back up? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Tumble Tower posted:

Ever heard of Google? Rolling Eyes

Anyway two things to screw your pointless little list up (but you can do the legwork): Ideal World is owned by a company which you would need to put in your I section but you can't so there.

Also the God channel can't go under G if you're classifying channels by ownership - it should actually go under E or maybe C. Oh dear, they've gone too. Also technically MTV and Nickelodeon channels are owned by the same company and should go under V. Oh dear, that's gone too.

Time to wipe it all off I reckon. What a waste of a post this was.
PT
Put The Telly On
This has really gone far enough.
DB
dbl
Make it stop! Crying or Very sad

I've never heard of any person in my life say B2 for BBC Two it's either:
2, Two, BBC2, BBC Two or Beeb 2

Seek HELP!

Newer posts