The Newsroom

ITV Local News

Presentation and General Discussion thread (April 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PR
Primetime
What a mess the late news was on Tyne Tees last night. No short ident at the start. The national weather finished and straight into the studio, where you could see the screen picture jump and change etc. I dislike how the weather finishes on the lunch and late news programme, it should finish with the presenter saying goodbye and a closing short ident. The general flow of the News at 10.30 run much better at least!
OH
ohwhatanight Founding member
This most certainly seems a step backwards.

The whole ITV news and local news programmes just dont feel right without the integration.

I hope someone somewhere sees sense and reverts back to the integrated sequences.

Do we have any reasons yet on why this change has occurred?
BR
Brekkie
ohwhatanight posted:
Do we have any reasons yet on why this change has occurred?

It's so illogical the only logical explanation I can come up with is ITV want the audience figures for regional news to fall so they can go begging OFCOM to release them of the burden!
BS
Ben Shatliff
Does anybody know if this could just be a "Trial".?.

The whole concept of the News on ITV1 needs to go back to the drawing board again.

Why not have propper news, both National & Regional.

It is now a switch-off, even for Granada Reports.
AN
Andrew Founding member
How long have the integrated bulletins been going on?

I remember when they first started they were really dodgy, with the national presenter either being cut off or sat there in silence as the cuts were badly timed
WE
Westy2
Andrew posted:

I remember when they first started they were really dodgy, with the national presenter either being cut off or sat there in silence as the cuts were badly timed

I thought they had network talkback like the Beeb, so that shouldn't happen?
JE
Jez Founding member
Andrew posted:

They have been going on since before the ITV News relaunched in February 2004 I think. At least the lunchtime bulletin was within the national news not sure about the late.

Watched the late bulletin last night, noticed they go to an ad break after the national weather forcast, then after a few ads straight into the regional bulletin with no ident (no surprise there!) - they also use the shorter version of the titles and the weather was within the regional bulletin.
BR
Brekkie
Jez posted:
Andrew posted:

They have been going on since before the ITV News relaunched in February 2004 I think. At least the lunchtime bulletin was within the national news not sure about the late.

A bit longer than that - they were featured in the Lunchtime News and News at Ten - not from the start in Jan 2001, but certainly within a few months. I'd say it's been at least five years.

The headlines though have only been integrated since 2004.
JE
Jez Founding member
They seem to show a long advert break between the national and regional lunchtime news. The regional news is little more than 6 minutes long now - a year ago it was at least twice as long. I remember they cancelled the 3pm bulletin because they said the time would be made up during the longer lunchtime news, but when that was cut down in Sept they didnt make up the time elsewhere?
BU
buster
Some time was made up in the This Morning bulletin (which grew by a couple of minutes) and the afternoon weather (which doubled to 1.30), but the rest was never made up - still within ofcom rules though so perhaps it's as low as it can go?
BR
Brekkie
I still don't get the weather thing - it seems so stupid keeping weather updates at random points in the day that once had a bulletin.

They've kept the local weather at the end of the local news though - prior to 2004 I think the late weather summary was often shown about an hour after News at Ten.
JE
Jez Founding member
Brekkie Boy posted:
I still don't get the weather thing - it seems so stupid keeping weather updates at random points in the day that once had a bulletin.

They've kept the local weather at the end of the local news though - prior to 2004 I think the late weather summary was often shown about an hour after News at Ten.

Well the weather is recorded not live so its less hassle making a weather report than having a presenter and crew live in the studio for a news bulletin. They even had a weaher forcast in mid afternoon on Bank Holiday Monday.

But the regional news often used to be an hour after News At 10 didnt it? ISTR the late regional bulletin was often at 11.20pm (at least on HTV Wales it was) prior to the changes in Feb 2004.

Newer posts