The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Martine is on the news channel shift, Reeta also did the early evening bulletin so probably refined the script

I am sure this has been said several times but given how experienced Martine is I see no reason why the Saturday late bulletin is not done by who is on the News Channel.

Then again if lunchtime can be done by the duty NC presenter then all of them can be throughout the weekend.

I had the NC on at 10pm and with BBC1 running late it felt rather disjointed for Martine to go through some stories throw to a bit of a filler report and then after a small countdown straight to Reeta at 7 minutes past for Martine to reappear after the bulletin.

But can you imagine the likes of Lukwesta or Maryam or Tim Willcox doing a BBC One programme on Saturday and Sunday eves?

Umm.. yes?
MA
Meridian AM

I am sure this has been said several times but given how experienced Martine is I see no reason why the Saturday late bulletin is not done by who is on the News Channel.

Then again if lunchtime can be done by the duty NC presenter then all of them can be throughout the weekend.

I had the NC on at 10pm and with BBC1 running late it felt rather disjointed for Martine to go through some stories throw to a bit of a filler report and then after a small countdown straight to Reeta at 7 minutes past for Martine to reappear after the bulletin.

But can you imagine the likes of Lukwesta or Maryam or Tim Willcox doing a BBC One programme on Saturday and Sunday eves?

Umm.. yes?

Never seen them, as I don't watch BBC much, but are those three not considered particularly strong at their job?
RN
Rolling News

Umm.. yes?

Oh come on, they’ve only got 50-60 years broadcasting experience between them.
BB
bbc247

Umm.. yes?

Never seen them, as I don't watch BBC much, but are those three not considered particularly strong at their job?

Perhaps Maryam could be judged as the more junior of the 3 as she only recently moved over to presenting from the business side, but Tim has worked on BBC News as a presenter since the early 2000s and was on ITN a decade before that and Lukwesa started presenting on Sky News in 2006.
Last edited by bbc247 on 13 September 2020 6:08pm
DE
deejay
Maryam is absolutely not a junior presenter. Discussing the experience, talents or otherwise of presenters really is none of anyone’s business.
GI
ginnyfan
I'm sure all 3 would be able to read the teleprompter for 15 minutes on BBC One.
MA
Meridian AM
Umm.. yes?

Perhaps Maryam could be judged as the more junior of the 3 as she only recently moved over to presenting from the business side, but Tim has worked on BBC News as a presenter since the early 2000s and was on ITN a decade before that and Lukwesa started presenting on Sky News in 2006.

Oh Lukwesa Burak! Yes, I do remember her. She was the weather forecaster on (East) Midlands Today years ago (like late 90s or early 00s).
Never seen her presenting news but she would have a lot of broadcasting experience by now.
AS
AlexS
I'm sure all 3 would be able to read the teleprompter for 15 minutes on BBC One.

I'm sure the 2 of them that can consistently read the teleprompter on the NC without random pauses, errs, and otherwise making a general mess of things are more than capable of doing so on BBC One, but the 3rd one of them shouldn't even be stumbling through the teleprompter on the news channel let alone BBC One.
LE
lesmauresfr
Sorry but the "presenter seniority" argument happens far too often on here.
BF
BFGArmy
AlexS posted:

I'm sure the 2 of them that can consistently read the teleprompter on the NC without random pauses, errs, and otherwise making a general mess of things are more than capable of doing so on BBC One, but the 3rd one of them shouldn't even be stumbling through the teleprompter on the news channel let alone BBC One.

How charming.
Rolling News and lesmauresfr gave kudos
AS
Asa Admin
And that kind of talk is also a good place to halt things here.

This thread in particular has encouraged a lot of rota talk and so we're going to wind down this level of minute discussion. Please only create threads in future for major presenter developments that have a presentation twist - attached to new programmes or rebrands for example. Someone not appearing in their regular slot does not constitute major!

As a general note, positive and negative opinions should be constructive. You don't have to like everyone you see on-screen but there's better ways to make a point than some I've read in here.

Newer posts