TV Home Forum

Global Radio axes all regional/local breakfast shows

(February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
That is the problem with decades stations - there's only a finite amount of songs to play (though of course some decades have more than others)
And in that already limited choice they will only play the hits because that's what provokes the memories of the audience.

Then there's a station such as Greatest Hits which only plays the biggest most well known music, but has three decades to choose from. Personally I really like GHR, I'm not a fan of heavily formated radio but it is a reliable listen - you always know you'll get something you recognise and normally like.

I wouldn't be surprised if these spin offs do what some linear streaming music services have always done and go niche. There are decades stations and genre stations, how long before we get the likes of 'Radio X 90's Indie'* 'Absolute 70s Prog'

Mind you the BBC are launching a pop up Beatles station next month

*which I would definitely listen to lots
DM
DeMarkay
That is the problem with decades stations - there's only a finite amount of songs to play (though of course some decades have more than others)
And in that already limited choice they will only play the hits because that's what provokes the memories of the audience.

Then there's a station such as Greatest Hits which only plays the biggest most well known music, but has three decades to choose from. Personally I really like GHR, I'm not a fan of heavily formated radio but it is a reliable listen - you always know you'll get something you recognise and normally like.

I wouldn't be surprised if these spin offs do what some linear streaming music services have always done and go niche. There are decades stations and genre stations, how long before we get the likes of 'Radio X 90's Indie'* 'Absolute 70s Prog'

Mind you the BBC are launching a pop up Beatles station next month

*which I would definitely listen to lots

Speaking of Absolute Radio...

:-(
A former member

Forgotten 80s is scheduled between 9-11pm on a Sunday night, a dead slot in radio.

Its also one of the most tweeted things on a sunday night.
AG
AxG

Can't wait to listen to a bit of Elgar. Laughing
RU
russty_russ
AxG posted:

Can't wait to listen to a bit of Elgar. Laughing

Is this a tie in with Apple Very Happy
AS
Asa Admin
And what happens when you play a tight playlist? It attracts the listeners.

Virgin Chilled is a decent station I’ve been listening to a fair bit, but my god they’ve got to have the smallest playlist of any station. First time I heard an acoustic version of a track I thought ‘there’s something you don’t really hear on commercial radio, that’s really good’ but when you then hear that same track for the thousandth time it’s ridiculous.

R2’s playlist is really interesting, so much R1 crossover these days to the point they were both playing the same song at the same time a few weeks back.

Is that website still going that would list how often stations play songs?
IS
Inspector Sands
Asa posted:

Yes it is: http://comparemyradio.com/ unfortunately it doesn't seem to cover Global stations
VM
VMPhil
Oh it’s back online? It was taken down recently, I’m sure. It was originally developed by the web team for Absolute Radio back when they were owned by The Times of India. It originally had more stations but over the years most of them dropped out. I guess they didn’t like showing how limited their playlists were!
IS
Inspector Sands
I thought it was offline too as I tried to find it a couple of months ago.

The fact it is connected to Absolute would explain why when I tried to find it, I think, it redirected to Bauer Radio's website
AS
Asa Admin
Asa posted:

Yes it is: http://comparemyradio.com/ unfortunately it doesn't seem to cover Global stations

That’s the one, thanks. Couldn’t for the life of me find it on Google.
Shame Virgin isn’t on there (anymore?) either, it would have confirmed my suspicions about Chilled.
JO
Jon
It’s just Bauer stations now isn’t it?
DV
dvboy

There's definitely a difference between Heart 80s/90s playlist and Absolute 80s/90s which is more indie/rock skewed.

Newer posts