TV Home Forum

Global Radio axes all regional/local breakfast shows

(February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark

In exchange for this arrangement, maybe Ofcom make Global’s LBC go FM and produce more Localised News bulletins with maybe a couple of Local Phone In programmes thrown in?

What do you mean 'go FM', how many transmitters are you talking ? Enough to cover 90+% of the UK population ?
You could do it by replicating Classic FM's network, but there are no frequencies available for the power required.
RI
Rijowhi

In exchange for this arrangement, maybe Ofcom make Global’s LBC go FM and produce more Localised News bulletins with maybe a couple of Local Phone In programmes thrown in?

What do you mean 'go FM', how many transmitters are you talking ? Enough to cover 90+% of the UK population ?
You could do it by replicating Classic FM's network, but there are no frequencies available for the power required.

I was thinking about this after I had written my comment. I’m not sure how you’d do this unless you move LBC to Heart or Capital’s signals? Of course the future isn’t FM...but is Public Service Broadcasting our future?
MA
Markymark

I was thinking about this after I had written my comment. I’m not sure how you’d do this unless you move LBC to Heart or Capital’s signals? Of course the future isn’t FM...but is Public Service Broadcasting our future?

You could move LBC to Heart and Capital's FM transmitters, which provide quasi national coverage, but that would make Heart and Capital DAB only (except in a few areas where they are both available on FM)

What won't be possible is a 2.2 MHz wide proper national FM block that BBC R1-4, and Classic all have, with 50 or so high power transmitters.

But as you say, FM's not the future anyway......
RI
Rijowhi

You could move LBC to Heart and Capital's FM transmitters, which provide quasi national coverage, but that would make Heart and Capital DAB only (except in a few areas where they are both available on FM)

What won't be possible is a 2.2 MHz wide proper national FM block that BBC R1-4, and Classic all have, with 50 or so high power transmitters.

But as you say, FM's not the future anyway......

As I thought would be the case, I was thinking Quasi-National would be more likely (but still unlikely).

Will be interesting in the future that’s for sure.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The new breakfast show started this week. Obviously sounds much more ‘London’ and ‘showbiz’ than Capital Yorkshire used to be, I’m not sure how it’ll go down.

I notice they are doing like Ben Shepherd used to do on GMB, and getting Roman to record personalised links into the travel news. It’s all quite slick and fast paced as you’d expect from Global.
Last edited by Andrew on 10 April 2019 7:47pm
:-(
A former member
IT has not stopped the complaints and people switching. Of course the lower figure dont matter, with national adverts.
DJ
DJ Dave
Radio City have a new jingle saying how they are the only popular music station with the breakfast show broadcasting live from a L1 postcode.
DV
dvboy
Radio City have a new jingle saying how they are the only popular music station with the breakfast show broadcasting live from a L1 postcode.

The irony when other Bauer stations in the same network are co-located.
JO
Johnr
Fascinating views from up top at Radio City, bet the staff are a bit knackered if the lift needs servicing though!
DM
DeMarkay
The new breakfast show started this week. Obviously sounds much more ‘London’ and ‘showbiz’ than Capital Yorkshire used to be, I’m not sure how it’ll go down.

I notice they are doing like Ben Shepherd used to do on GMB, and getting Roman to record personalised links into the travel news. It’s all quite slick and fast paced as you’d expect from Global.

Split links Wink
IS
Inspector Sands

Doesn't the breakfast show on Greatest Hits come from Liverpool too? Or is that not sounted as 'popular music'?
SP
Spencer
Well this is intriguing...

Looks like their design agency might have let something slip there.

Newer posts