TV Home Forum

Radio Studio Design

You now can’t get away with a good face for radio. (May 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil

There used to be a link to a popout player of the live feed at the top of the 5 Live site, but it's been removed. You have to scroll down all the way to the bottom where it says 'Watch live: Inside the studios' and click play.

Blimey, it's almost as if they don't want anyone to watch it

Though it was useful recently - extended Brexit live coverage meant the Kermode & Mayo film review couldn’t go out on the radio, but they still did it on the webcam live feed.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Pete posted:

I remember when Moyles did some live video from the show back in the day, and one of the things that made it seem particularly odd, aside from the fact people stand quite away from each other when making radio, was the audio compression applied to the voices for radio just doesn't work when you're looking at video.

Noticible on those programmes that are sometimes on the News Channel that are recorded in a radio studio, there was a business series done like this few years ago.

The audio is so different, much better, to what you get from a TV studio and it is quite odd at first

The TV version of The Bottom Line was originally shot in a Radio 4 studio, but laterally moved to a Millbank studio dressed to look like a radio studio.
IS
Inspector Sands

Noticible on those programmes that are sometimes on the News Channel that are recorded in a radio studio, there was a business series done like this few years ago.

The audio is so different, much better, to what you get from a TV studio and it is quite odd at first

The TV version of The Bottom Line was originally shot in a Radio 4 studio, but laterally moved to a Millbank studio dressed to look like a radio studio.

That was it. The different acoustic was very noticible on TV
BB
BBC TV Centre
I remember when Radio 1 first put their webcams up in 1999 and it brought home how really non-telegenic the studios were. Of course it was just a still image every 30 mins at the start but gradually the logos started getting bigger and the studios tidier. I think it was 2005 when they did the first, all-black rebuild of the studios to make them better for photos/video (it's featured in the promo 1'36" in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkMJLbr0EPE and looks a bit rubbish now but at the time was quite a departure )

Incidentally the Radio 1 webcam stayed up right up until they left Yalding House in 2012, taking a still photo every 10 minutes by that point!
It was quite revolutionary at the time, along with streaming audio on realplayer. Steve Wright remained one of the one that were camera shy (as they had cameras in the R2 studios). Those desks must be getting on a bit at R2, most of the national networks have been replaced wth Studer gear in NBH.
SP
Spencer
I remember when Radio 1 first put their webcams up in 1999 and it brought home how really non-telegenic the studios were. Of course it was just a still image every 30 mins at the start but gradually the logos started getting bigger and the studios tidier. I think it was 2005 when they did the first, all-black rebuild of the studios to make them better for photos/video (it's featured in the promo 1'36" in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkMJLbr0EPE and looks a bit rubbish now but at the time was quite a departure )

Incidentally the Radio 1 webcam stayed up right up until they left Yalding House in 2012, taking a still photo every 10 minutes by that point!
It was quite revolutionary at the time, along with streaming audio on realplayer. Steve Wright remained one of the one that were camera shy (as they had cameras in the R2 studios).

Probably also the case that they didn’t want to reveal how much of his show is pre-recorded.
Hatton Cross and scottishtv gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
I don't think the Radio 2 webcam was ever turned on during Steve Wright's show.
MA
Markymark
I don't think the Radio 2 webcam was ever turned on during Steve Wright's show.

I only saw it left on once, on a Children in Need day, probably because the whole show was live on that occasion.
SP
Spencer
I think radio studio webcams have only really found their true usefulness in the last few years with the ability to quickly upload produced clips to social media, especially through systems such as Virtual Director. It’s certainly been a great marketing tool for LBC in particular.

In the early days, a studio webcam was a bit of a novelty, interesting to see once or twice, but generally not something you’d return to on a regular basis.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The old Virgin Radio (what is now Absolute) used to have the "still image" webcams on their website with an apparent control for you to determine how often it updated, which was easily defeated by browser caching techniques so you didn't always get a regular update.

BRMB had a webcam as well back in the 2000s, which only ever updated every five minutes and was inadvertently disabled once when somebody stuck what I presume was a storage unit in front of it.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Different studio for Radio 1 daytime programmes today (Breakfast, mid-morning, and Scott Mills) who all came from BBC Tees - apparently due to management concerns they might not get everyone back to London in time after Big Weekend in Middlesbrough.

Sorry if going off-topic a little.
IS
Inspector Sands
That sort of thing happens fairly often, Steve Lamacq on 6 Music had a week a while back featuring live music venues across the country and did his shows from various local radio studios.

Must be nice, but a little odd for those working aon the local station to have a programme from Radio 1 pop up in the next studio. Bit of a culture shock for those used to BH too.

I wonder how it works, I seem to remember hat when Lamacq did his the music was played in from London. Presumably Radio 1 do the same. The local stations are virtualised now with everything in central locations so there's limited local replay devices. I wonder if there's a way they can transfer the music from the radio 1 system to the local one?

Mind you, I imagine it's probably easier than doing it with their old Radioman system
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 28 May 2019 7:31am
SP
Steve in Pudsey
In the week that Radio Leeds moved into their new studios, they had Moyles on Radio 1 and Phil Jupitus on 6 Music using their studios (in advance of Leeds Festival) so the Radio Leeds breakfast show was forced to use the Bradford studio. Which was no great hardship, the Breakfast Show used it quite frequently.

They used to rig a VCS machine back in the day, but as ViLoR uses VCS I would imagine that's a lot simpler now.

Newer posts