The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EE
EastEngland
Probably the last wide photo of the old studio you're going to get as an end of an era approaches fast.

It will be missed a lot.
BR
Brekkie
Will need a big skip for that screen.
EE
EastEngland
It's a few screens together - showing their age now though as they don't show white very well fairly close up and you can see the individual screens that make it ups outline.
FA
fanoftv
A shame that they haven't utilised such a wide shot that much whilst they've been back in that studio.
A wonderful use of space, I remember being in awe when in launched in 2005. How far television has come in those 13 years, when it launched it went from 4:3 to 16:9 which felt like a massive change, now we're in the times of 4K television.

Are there any television journalists who could answer this question; Do you prefer to work within the environment of the studio (a space designed to be featured on the TV as well desks around newsreaders, e.g. Sky News Centre 2005-current, BBC News) or to be in an office space designed and decorated just to be an office space and away from the studio?
SP
Spencer

A wonderful use of space, I remember being in awe when in launched in 2005. How far television has come in those 13 years, when it launched it went from 4:3 to 16:9 which felt like a massive change, now we're in the times of 4K television.

Whilst the technical capabilities of TV have progressed over the years, it’s a shame that Sky News have gone from such an impressive, versatile, dynamic studio to something which looks more like a display conservatory on the balcony of a provincial shopping centre.
HA
harshy Founding member

Whilst the technical capabilities of TV have progressed over the years, it’s a shame that Sky News have gone from such an impressive, versatile, dynamic studio to something which looks more like a display conservatory on the balcony of a provincial shopping centre.

Even the idents and graphics aren’t brilliant anymore with a forgettable toth sequence
Mouseboy33, Spencer and skyviewer gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
Probably the last wide photo of the old studio you're going to get as an end of an era approaches fast.

It will be missed a lot.

What’s happening with the space here then?
EE
EastEngland
The whole building is supposed to be being knocked down I believe (unfortunately).
SK
skyviewer
What will happen to all the furniture and technical equipment in the old studio?
IT
Ittr
What will happen to all the furniture and technical equipment in the old studio?

It will probably be auctioned
HA
harshy Founding member
The whole building is supposed to be being knocked down I believe (unfortunately).

Seems to be a waste surely Sky can adopt it to something else.
BR
Brekkie

Seems to be a waste surely Sky can adopt it to something else.

Prime real estate probably. Doesn't seem right though for a building to be knocked down less than 15 years after it was built.

Newer posts