The Newsroom

20 years of the BBC News Channel (BBC News 24)

Thursday 9th November 2017 marks 20 years since it's launch (November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Rex
1999 countdown showing again.
GM
Gary McEwan
They're certainly giving the 1999 countdown a good run tonight...
RN
Rolling News
Would love to see the 2005 and 2007 countdowns on screen again, but maybe they can't show them as they include shots of reporters no longer with the BBC and they've been deleted.
SP
Spencer
Just been watching back the 5pm hour. I noticed Ben Rich ended his forecast at 5.30 with the words, “and that’s all the weather... for now.” Very Happy
GE
thegeek Founding member
Did he point on 'that's the weather', then retract his finger on 'for now', as if he might take it away again later?
BA
Bail Moderator
Well isn't this lovely for geeks like us! Good on the N24 team! In celebration I thought I'd collate all the countdowns into a folder for you. 2005 was my fave, love the many many drums!

Here it is, every single on air countdown

I noticed in doing this, our current countdown is the oldest/longest one they've had, despite sounding like the newest. I think we're overdue a new mix! So.. here's a remix of a remix that I never got around to posting.
rupesh, Dan Gooding and richard h gave kudos
BK
bkman1990
They showed a 22 second version of the 1999 countdown just now.

I just watched the looking back clips about News 24 on Youtube. They were a terrific look back of BBC News 24 over the years. I was only a very young 7 year old when this channel was launched by the BBC; so I wouldn't have looked at it very much at all. I've only seen small bits of it when it was simulcast on BBC One NI; when my family had it on cable years ago.

All of the past contributors of News 24 over the years have been great in sharing their stories today. They are & were still a great asset to the BBC in today's modern era. Happy Birthday BBC News 24 & I hope you have another 20 years of high quality news to come. Smile
FF
FactorFiles
Wow I can't believe they just used a pretty average mock of the 1999 countdown. Thought I was going to finally see it in decent quality. At least they could have added some glow and blur to that one to try and add the subtlety of the original - it's pretty obviously a fake. Oh well.

Shout out to Martin's mock from several years ago that although it's for the BBC World countdown, perfectly captures the feel of the original.

VM
VMPhil
Wow I can't believe they just used a pretty average mock of the 1999 countdown. Thought I was going to finally see it in decent quality. At least they could have added some glow and blur to that one to try and add the subtlety of the original - it's pretty obviously a fake. Oh well.

I think that's a little harsh. The mock was obviously made with a lot of care and attention - the original poster wanted to get the little details right as seen in the original thread. It's not perfect but it's a pretty damn good recreation.
GM
Gary McEwan
Bail posted:
Well isn't this lovely for geeks like us! Good on the N24 team! In celebration I thought I'd collate all the countdowns into a folder for you. 2005 was my fave, love the many many drums!

I noticed in doing this, our current countdown is the oldest/longest one they've had, despite sounding like the newest. I think we're overdue a new mix! So.. here's a remix of a remix that I never got around to posting.

No matter what David Lowe comes up with in the future, for me nothing will come close to the 1999 countdown music.
AS
Asa Admin
That countdown was definitely a recreation...from YouTube!

If a recreation gets shown on the channel itself does that no longer make it a recreation? Laughing

Absolutely wonderful stuff this afternoon with the interviews and old pres. Didn't the flags look great in the background of the studio! A great choice to have the first day's countdown playing out just before 6 too - so many programmes no longer on air.

I think that original presentation could have continued for a few more years at least (even though I did like the changes in '99)
FF
FactorFiles
Bail posted:

No matter what David Lowe comes up with in the future, for me nothing will come close to the 1999 countdown music.

This x1000

Newer posts