The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
news junkie
Apologies IsleOfIreland, was only trying to suggest a reason as to why this may have been the case as derek500 said it only happened when the glass box came in to use. Didn't know it was an ongoing issue.
MA
mapperuo
The difference in quality is visible between 12 months ago and this month in the same studio using the same camera positions.

What do you think it is then? Maybe the lighting has been changed and it's dimmer than it was.
DO
dosxuk
I have on my Sky Box a press preview from 12 months ago and one from this week. The first one is crisp, solid colours with details and very sharp and no picture noise or grainy appearance on the blue background. The one recorded this week is blurry, lots of picture noise, not very sharp and colours are very grainy.

The difference in quality is visible between 12 months ago and this month in the same studio using the same camera positions, bringing the glass box and what cameras into this debate is a complete red herring by people who don't want to answer why the quality in the old studio has fallen so much in the last 12 months.

Similar issues have been spotted in many news studios, because they don't have constant engineering supervision - as time goes by settings wander and the environment changes (e.g. lamps getting duller, breaking and then being replaced). Until an engineer pops in and resets everything for the new conditions the picture quality decreases. It may be that with the new studio installs, issues and launches, Sky's engineers simply haven't had as much time as they used to for the old studio.
DS
DarthSidious
I'm optimistic, for their new main studio that's coming. I'm assuming it will be taking a similar style to the box and new Southwark studio, being mainly white.

Then they will need to update the Westminster studio, and talking about that, I've noticed they've sorted the DTL backdrop, which is now white, but they've sorted the tone, so it matched the white tone of the graphics, as before it was an dull off-white.
ST
Stuart
I'm optimistic, for their new main studio that's coming. I'm assuming it will be taking a similar style to the box and new Southwark studio, being mainly white

When is that new studio due to come on line? I thought January was mentioned originally?
TV
TVViewer256
I'm optimistic, for their new main studio that's coming. I'm assuming it will be taking a similar style to the box and new Southwark studio, being mainly white.

Then they will need to update the Westminster studio, and talking about that, I've noticed they've sorted the DTL backdrop, which is now white, but they've sorted the tone, so it matched the white tone of the graphics, as before it was an dull off-white.

They're getting a new studio? It's only been 3/4 months since the got the last main one and about 1 month since they got the baby shard one
BW
BroadcastWales

They're getting a new studio? It's only been 3/4 months since the got the last main one and about 1 month since they got the baby shard one

The new studio was always planned. It's meant to replace the old Sky News studio which has been used since 2005.
RK
Rkolsen
I'm reaching here but could they have moved the gallery and production to Sky Central yet? Maybe they moved that but didn't see the need to set up the infrastructure transmit multiple 1.48 Gbps HD-SDI camera feeds across campus especially if it's temporary. Instead running fiber runs for each camera they could be encoding them at a lower bitrate and multiplex them over.

Similar issues have been spotted in many news studios, because they don't have constant engineering supervision - as time goes by settings wander and the environment changes (e.g. lamps getting duller, breaking and then being replaced). Until an engineer pops in and resets everything for the new conditions the picture quality decreases. It may be that with the new studio installs, issues and launches, Sky's engineers simply haven't had as much time as they used to for the old studio.

Surprised they don't have someone checking the studio lighting grid each day. I know MSNBC and I believe CNN have lighting directors come in every morning to check the color temperature, move the lights around as needed in their NY studios. I think the job may be union related but is there any equivalent daily inspections going on at Sky.
SK
Skygeek
I'm reaching here but could they have moved the gallery and production to Sky Central yet? Maybe they moved that but didn't see the need to set up the infrastructure transmit multiple 1.48 Gbps HD-SDI camera feeds across campus especially if it's temporary. Instead running fiber runs for each camera they could be encoding them at a lower bitrate and multiplex them over.

Nope.
DE
derek500
It's a strange one. Just watched the Press Preview and the PQ was not as good as it used to be. In the break I downloaded last night's Ian King and it's so much better. He did a two way with Charlotte Lomss at Sky News Centre and that was crystal clear, too.
JK
John Koenig
Even on the Youtube version I can notice it's clearer from the box.
DE
derek500
Even on the Youtube version I can notice it's clearer from the box.

It's not just the glass box. Comparing Sophy Ridge on now with last night's Press Preview and there is no problem with the PQ from Millbank.

When they have the screen shots of the newspaper pages, they used to really clear and readable, now anything past the main headlines and sub headlines are blurred.

Newer posts