The Newsroom

Murder of MP Jo Cox

(June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Quote:
Jo Cox MP has sadly died. Seemed as though there was an embargo on the news, especially considering that a lot of people (somewhat unusually) were referring to her in the past tense.

Yes, I saw reports on twitter of Huw Edwards and Kay Burley using "was" rather than "is" before the press conference. The reporter on BBC News in Birstall seemed to have more information from police that wasn't reported earlier.

Yes and the Independent had a headline: 'MP who lived on a boat' which then changed to the present tense for the article.

The first tweet on the BBC's Leeds Live update page was from a local bar that finished saying 'RIP to the victim', that was posted a at about 13:20
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 16 June 2016 7:33pm
DV
dvboy
BBC NC have put their own graphics on top of Look North now so we can't see their astons.
AA
Aaron_2015
The BBC News app already had the headline that Jo Cox had died before the press conference. As I was looking through the article, push notifications came through from Sky News, The Guardian and BBC News itself confirming that she had sadly died.
:-(
A former member

IN
Interceptor
Unbelievable. Poor lady. Is there a chance the referendum will be postponed as a result?
DV
dvboy
Unbelievable. Poor lady. Is there a chance the referendum will be postponed as a result?

Unlikely, but this isn't the place to discuss that anyway.

I've already requested the EU Referendum thread here be split by the way, and that to be merged with this, so we can discuss the news coverage in the right place.
NE
News96
Newsnight repeat cancelled and 2 News Paper reviews this evening on the NC.

AA
Aaron_2015

I doubt it. Campaigning has been suspended for tonight and tomorrow, but will more than likely resume on Saturday. However, campaigning will probably be toned down.
ST
Stuart
Oddly, they haven't updated the EPG (at least on Sky), BBC are normally quite quick at doing this.

This Week was to be a By-election Special. I wonder whether that element would still go ahead with a rather subdued result programme on BBC Two from Millbank, using a NC reporter/newsreader? Normally at that time the NC is simulcasting WN.
DV
dvboy
NC now pulled out of Look North with Martine Croxall presenting.
DV
dvboy
Oddly, they haven't updated the EPG (at least on Sky), BBC are normally quite quick at doing this.

This Week was to be a By-election Special. I wonder whether that element would still go ahead with a rather subdued result programme on BBC Two from Millbank, using a NC reporter/newsreader? Normally at that time the NC is simulcasting WN.

I suspect they will just report the result on NC once it happens, at the next opportunity that WN is on a break.
DV
dvboy
Changes to Newsnight:

Newer posts