TV Home Forum

Def ll

Old BBC two 6pm Brands (August 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I was looking around for details about Ren and Stimpy, and come across Brand for use for the 6pm slot in 1994

6pm Def ll
Fresh prince,
6.25 Ren and Stimpy
6.50 Goggle Eyes

I cant remember anything of that brand? Can anyone remember anything
RO
rob Founding member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEF_II
CI
cityprod
Also http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/bbctwo/def2_idents.html
A former member
Thank you. Was that the only brand there had on BBC two? I can remember something a few years later around the 6pm slot.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Did anybody in the UK actually use the word "def"? I've only ever heard it on the early Fresh Prince episodes.
JA
JAS84
Since Fresh Prince was shown in the slot, maybe that's where the name came from?
MI
Michael
I remember the Blade DEF II ident very clearly. As I do Wayne's World being on in the slot.

I still say def. Will there be rain? Def.
A former member
JAS84 posted:
Since Fresh Prince was shown in the slot, maybe that's where the name came from?

doubtful since Fresh Prince started two years after the Def ll Started
NG
noggin Founding member
Did anybody in the UK actually use the word "def"? I've only ever heard it on the early Fresh Prince episodes.

"Def" was apparently urban slang for good. A bit like "wicked". Never heard it outside the confines of the "Def II" strand - but I grew up in a sleepy backwater on the south coast...

Suspect it was an urban thing heard by Janet Street-Porter who latched onto it?

Some of the programme strands were quite good - particularly the "Rough Guides", though some were a bit "style over substance". I remember Reportage being pretty hit or miss. A lot of the production and presentation team had worked with JSP on Network 7 I think.
IS
Inspector Sands
Wasn't No Limits a DEFII programme?
NG
noggin Founding member
Wasn't No Limits a DEFII programme?

No - I'm pretty certain that the creation of DEF II, and the department that ran it under Janet Street-Porter, was a response to No Limits and the perceived "naffness" of similar programmes aimed at the youth audience.
NW
nwtv2003
I'm sure I've heard either Janet Street Porter or Normski say that they got the DEF name from the DEF button from JSP Mercedes Benz, daft as it sounds.

Newer posts