The Newsroom

BBC News Countdowns

'The Smiling Orla Guerin' (May 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
I think we all have favorite moments in the BBC (and BBC World) News countdowns. Formerly in the most recent era, most of us will recall the famous John Simpson "duck" on the road between Benghazi and Ajdabya in Libya, when an explosion occurred nearby.

Curious to know everyone's favorite moments from the new batch.

For me, it's the wry smile and nod from Orla Guerin amidst a gathering of locals in Pakistan. I'm still amazed that she managed to execute her rapid double nod in perfect timing with the countdown music!

Well done, Orla.

Although it's gone from the new titles - my local landmark alongside the sat truck raising it's dish.
MH
MoHasanie
I like the Orla Guerin part, and when George Aligiah receives a phone call. I also like the BBC News helicopter.
MH
MoHasanie

For me, it's the wry smile and nod from Orla Guerin amidst a gathering of locals in Pakistan.

I think she may have been interviewing the politician Imran Khan cause there were other camera crew there from different news organisations.
NS
NickyS Founding member
The rather good looking guy telling Jane Hill that the camera is rolling in Washington is my favourite! Razz

Barry will be happy with that comment Very Happy
BA
bakamann
I like the two helicopter shots, and most of all... Spencer Kelly in front of the Big Gundam statue in Japan...
Very Happy
MY
myan
I think there are quite a number of scenes which appear to be favourites of the BBC, in that they keep retaining those clips across their different versions of the countdown, sometimes retained from the old music editions to present editions as well. One that's retained from past to present, is the one where Mishal uses her hand to emphasize something while wearing a brown blouse. The new music editions have plenty of scenes of Mariko Oi reporting from somewhere with lots of red lanterns (I think they choose it because it's striking colors, anyone knows what event and location is that?). And also Nik Gowing holding an umbrella and walking while talking.

The previous music edition had one scene where something exploded, and the reporter was obviously caught off-guard and shocked. I guess that scene remained a favorite before the new music editions. Also, there's one with someone standing inside an airplane engine (is it Nik?) (I would love to get a chance to stand there, with the engines off of course!).

I especially love one scene from the BBCN countdown, the one where newspapers are processed/sorted on those machinery like a roller coaster. And BBCN's countdown always ends with a night scene of the new broadcasting house, lovely colors like Christmas.
LW
LeeWN
myan posted:
The previous music edition had one scene where something exploded, and the reporter was obviously caught off-guard and shocked. I guess that scene remained a favorite before the new music editions. Also, there's one with someone standing inside an airplane engine (is it Nik?) (I would love to get a chance to stand there, with the engines off of course!).

Yep! That is very popular on this forum. The so-called "John Simpson duck" which fits in to the thunderclap.
FL
flaziola
Another cool cue moment is when, quite literally, the director in the gallery cues the end of the countdown.
Anyway. We may as well load the various countdowns here.

BA
bakamann
The BBCWN countdown there is the old one, I wish the Great Almighty paulm could also upload the new versions with the new scenes... Very Happy
BK
bkman1990
My favourite scenes from the night versions are the Space Shuttle Discovery being flown in the air during the daytime and a woman making the report right beside the BBC News Van with the Satellite above it being at the ready.

I also like the BBC News Swishes through Times Sqaure in New York City and at Broadcasting House. I think they would look absolutely brilliant even in HD or 3D.
GM
Gary McEwan
Yep my favourite is Jane Hill in Washington at 14 seconds, when the OB director gives the cue she's on air...
RI
Richard
My favourite scenes from the night versions are the Space Shuttle Discovery being flown in the air during the daytime and a woman making the report right beside the BBC News Van with the Satellite above it being at the ready.

I also like the BBC News Swishes through Times Sqaure in New York City and at Broadcasting House. I think they would look absolutely brilliant even in HD or 3D.

If you have access to BBC 1 or 2 HD then you can see them in HD overnight.

Newer posts