TV Home Forum

Piers Morgan to leave GMB

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
The breakfast tv wars are still minnow compared to over 9m listeners who tune into Zoe Ball on Radio 2.
ET
ethanh05
He goes on to say "although the woke crowd will think they've cancelled me, they will be rather disappointed when i re-emerge." It will be interesting to see where or which broadcaster new or old?? Takes him from here on...!

He canceled himself. Literally... he walked off in a huff.

See here's the problem. He bangs on about the 'woke crowd', 'snowflakes' and 'freedom of speech' and desperately tries to stoke heat over phoney 'cancel culture' BS at this side of the Atlantic.

But he stormed off his own show because he was so thin-skinned that he flat out refused to entertain the idea that other people also have 'freedom of speech' or that anybody has a right to a contrary opinion. Isn't that the very definition of the term 'snowflake' he seems so fond of hurling at people?

Quite a few people on that side of the political agenda share that - hurl insults and meaningless terms like the much-loved 'virtue signalling' and 'snowflakes', as well as 'woke' (which doesn't really make sense, since the opposite of those who are 'woke' must be asleep), but then complain that their freedom of speech is threatened when they get it back. Most of these people would complain continuously even if they got what they wanted - some people like moaning for the sake of it (hell, I'm Welsh, it's pretty much our main attribute).

But I digress. Something that I haven't seen much of is how although GMB's ratings will probably fall due to lack of said toddler, I think a lot of people will actually tune back in, because many (including me) deliberately avoided it because of him. Some people just don't want to be hectored to at twenty-past-six in the morning - furthermore, some people just want something that they can put on in the background and absorb gradually, and with Piers you couldn't physically do that because it was so full-on. It won't affect me, because I don't watch Breakfast or Sky News or any sort of breakfast programme anyway, but I'd imagine quite a few might consider tuning in at the very least.

When you think about it, even though ITV have claimed a rare ratings victory at breakfast time, was it really worth it? All that damage caused - the various wrestling matches between guests, all the whingeing and moaning, all the various comments that were, I'm going to say it, racist and sexist, and the further-still ego that has been given to a man who already had one the size of the sun - was it truly worth it for a couple days victory in the ratings?

About him joining GB News - for all I'm concerned, let him. Lets face it, the sort of people watching GB News probably won't be wanting some kind of balanced news output in the morning, generally speaking, and putting him in a place where he can parrot his views to far fewer people than over on ITV does the world no harm. GB News shouldn't be launching anyway - the idea of a news service with any sort of political slant, left or right, is completely contrary to the very concept of news, which by nature should be balanced and indeed is on the BBC and Sky, despite what some people say - but as it is, they may as well appoint people they know will attract as big an audience as possible.

As for where ITV go from here - well, what I want from a breakfast format differs from what the general public want, so ultimately whatever I propose would therefore automatically be ratings poison. But I would just make it a bit softer - not too much, necessarily, but just around the edges, and maybe add in more genuine news and not just political cage-rattling arguments that serve the benefit of no-one. I'd also bring back the ITV Morning News, which would also work perfectly if ITV decided to go in a similar direction to that of Morgan - serving as the proper news, rather than GMB's previous mix of heavy and light. I also think Ben Shephard is having a bit of a disservice done to him - alright he's not as loud as someone like Morgan, but given the right format I think he's a very good presenter to have.

Or they could just hire Nick Ferrari and do it all over again. I know I wouldn't.
Last edited by ethanh05 on 10 March 2021 11:37am
LL
Larry the Loafer
If Twitter is anything to go by, hardly anyone understand what free speech actually means. And that goes for both sides of the spectrum.
LF
LiamFitz28
I don't agree with Piers for his comments towards Meghan, but I will miss him on GMB. He questioned politicians like other journalists don't. He wouldn't allow them to get away with giving 'generic' answers to real questions that the public needed the answers too. Yes, he shouted over people and wouldn't give Susanna the time to talk (most of the time and which was wrong), but he was interesting to watch.

With regards to the new presenter, I hope Eamonn Holmes gets the job. He's great. He has an opinion, but gives his co-presenter the time to air their view. And, he's a seasoned breakfast presenter. I just hope they don't give the job to Adil Ray on a permanent basis. He's okay as a 'fill in' presenter, but not full time. I've always found him to be a little awkward, when watching him.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The breakfast tv wars are still minnow compared to over 9m listeners who tune into Zoe Ball on Radio 2.

The measures are not comparable though
UN
Universal_r

JK
JK08
I know GMB is done by ITV and not the news division and is a separate franchise. But do you think ITV New’s execs had a say (from this side of the Atlantic is seems like they use ITV News content)? I seem to recall at one point there were ITV News logos on screen so that makes ITV News and ITN a stake holder.

Were the presenters within GMB required to uphold the same integrity at those employed by ITN?

And do you think the average member of the public knows that Piers isn’t or wasn’t a member of ITV News?

Something I noticed yesterday was that the headline of the Twitter-curated feed covering the Piers story read...
Quote:
Piers Morgan has left Good Morning Britain, ITV News has confirmed
Piers Morgan left his role at the show on Tuesday after receiving backlash for his controversial comments about Meghan Markle, ITV News confirmed in a statement.

Today, it reads...
Quote:
Piers Morgan has left Good Morning Britain, ITV has confirmed
Piers Morgan left his role at the show on Tuesday after receiving backlash for his controversial comments about Meghan Markle, ITV confirmed in a statement.
SO
Soupnzi

I think the 9m is across the week isn’t it (so more like 1.5-2m a day) but radio ratings are extremely unreliable compared to TV... though I appreciate RAJAR is all the industry has to go on
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos
WO
Worzel
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Fern Britton. Good Morning Britain with Fern Britton. Wink
MarkT76, Hatton Cross and watchingtv gave kudos
NG
noggin Founding member
I know GMB is done by ITV and not the news division and is a separate franchise.

But do you think ITV New’s execs had a say (from this side of the Atlantic is seems like they use ITV News content)? I seem to recall at one point there were ITV News logos on screen so that makes ITV News and ITN a stake holder.

Were the presenters within GMB required to uphold the same integrity at those employed by ITN?

And do you think the average member of the public knows that Piers isn’t or wasn’t a member of ITV News?

It's more complicated than you may think - ITV News isn't the same as ITN... Also - ITN isn't an ITV franchise holder or licensee AIUI - it's a contractor contracted to provide ITV's network news operation (it may once have been a franchise - but I don't think it's currently a licensee in the same way as Scottish, ITV plc regions, ITV Breakfast etc. are)

ITV News is a brand - that brand is shared by both the ITV News operation at ITN, and the ITV plc internal regional news operations (who make the ITV Regional News) and are internal to ITV plc (and were originally operated separately by each ITV regional franchise holder like Granada, Meridian, Yorkshire etc. - with London eventually being produced by a shared LWT/Carlton operation called LNN).

So 'ITV News' is really not much more than a brand - plus some contract management with ITN and some regional news operation management.

When you people talk about 'ITV News Execs' that's a complicated thing to discuss - do you mean Execs at ITN who work on the ITV News provision, senior production team members in the ITV plc Regional News operation, or those who manage the overall ITV News provision across both?

'ITV News Content' is also a complex thing to define as a result.

AIUI ITV Breakfast is a separate franchise owned by ITV plc - which is the 0600-0925 nationwide ITV franchise (separate to the ITV plc regions, Scottish etc.). ITV Daytime make the shows which broadcast during ITV Breakfast's hours (and outside that franchise/licence's hours) and as part of that have a contractual agreement with ITN - who produce ITV's Network News - to provide some news gathering and possibly news production support (such as access to pictures, facilities and possibly in some cases reporters)

I'm not sure members of the public have a clearly defined idea of what 'ITV News' is - though that will change with age. My parents still talk about ITN instead of ITV News for instance.
FI
finty6
I think it’s time to stop guessing who’s replacing Piers and just accept that he was a very unique broadcaster and there’s no obvious replacement. This will no doubt though but a giant dent in ratings for GMB just when they really took off.
Ittr and LondonViewer gave kudos
JC
JCB
I don't agree with Piers for his comments towards Meghan, but I will miss him on GMB. He questioned politicians like other journalists don't. He wouldn't allow them to get away with giving 'generic' answers to real questions that the public needed the answers too. Yes, he shouted over people and wouldn't give Susanna the time to talk (most of the time and which was wrong), but he was interesting to watch.

I really don't know what people think they're saying with "yeah it was wrong but it was interesting and popular". It's kind of in the same ball park as "I'm not racist but...."

Newer posts