TV Home Forum

Piers Morgan to leave GMB

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Jonwo posted:
Was watching a clip of This Morning where Holly and Phil are asking Andrew Neil whether he'll offer Piers a job and Phil seemed oddly pleased which makes me wonder if they didn't get on off screen? Piers IIRC always got annoyed that This Morning always won at the NTAs which was always fun to watch on GMB.

Piers got on fine with Phillip, they were on two different shows. They just had to share the same studio.
RN
Rolling News
Just seen the whole shebang mentioned on Gogglebox. Seems as though they were as excited as us to see Piers' reaction on Tuesday morning as they didn't appear to sleep after watching the interview on Monday night as they were all wearing the same clothes and sitting in the same positions.

You do know how Gogglebox is produced? It has been known for years.

I was joking.
Richard, chinamug and CraigWills gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Just seen the whole shebang mentioned on Gogglebox. Seems as though they were as excited as us to see Piers' reaction on Tuesday morning as they didn't appear to sleep after watching the interview on Monday night as they were all wearing the same clothes and sitting in the same positions.

Magic of television. Didn't need to sleep, could have watched them both back 24hrs later back to back. Not particularly hard to work out there's a bit of behind the scenes work going on with shows like this. All of television is a lie, don't you know Wink
MA
Meridian AM
Jonwo posted:
Was watching a clip of This Morning where Holly and Phil are asking Andrew Neil whether he'll offer Piers a job and Phil seemed oddly pleased which makes me wonder if they didn't get on off screen? Piers IIRC always got annoyed that This Morning always won at the NTAs which was always fun to watch on GMB.

No, he seems to get on fine with Schofield.
The annoyance at This Morning winning awards was banter and nothing sinister towards Schofield.

See approx.11:45:
BR
Brekkie

I think one family did whack some dressing gowns on, because of course the whole family sits on the sofa at 6.30am to watch GMB.
DV
dvboy
I don’t quite understand what they’re hoping to achieve from an Ofcom complaint, considering Piers has now gone? I can only presume a fine for ITV?

Which would be a blow for ITV considering they paid for the interview & how much of a ratings success it was for them.

I think Ofcom treats complaints differently when the come from the person in question featured (in this case indirectly) in the broadcast, although those tend to be cases when privacy is an issue.

It doesn't matter how many complaints Ofcom gets to start an investigation. It only needs one (and in some cases none as they will start one through their own monitoring), but some are clearly dealt with more easily than others.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Wasn't
I don’t quite understand what they’re hoping to achieve from an Ofcom complaint, considering Piers has now gone? I can only presume a fine for ITV?

Which would be a blow for ITV considering they paid for the interview & how much of a ratings success it was for them.

The alternative of not complaining can be misinterpreted as not being bothered about it, I guess.
IS
Inspector Sands
dvboy posted:

I think Ofcom treats complaints differently when the come from the person in question featured (in this case indirectly) in the broadcast, although those tend to be cases when privacy is an issue.

It's more often misrepresentation than privacy. They've always been taken more seriously than the 'I didn't like this' style complaints. Prior to Ofcom personal complaints like those were handled by a seperate regulator, the Broadcasting Standards Commission (BSC) who also dealt with serious issues of taste and decency - things escalated from the broadcasters, the ITC and the Radio Authority

Going back futher than that, personal complaints were handled by another organisation - The Broadcasting Complaints Commission. So there were several different organisations handling complaints, the BSC and the BCC used to have their rulings broadcast after episodes of the relevant programmes.
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 13 March 2021 3:47pm
JW
JamesWorldNews
The airing of such adjudications (by the Broadcasting Complaints Commission) was quite a common occurrence back in the day. And the airing appeared to be done at random points in the schedule, for whatever reason.

I’m not sure how or if such adjudications are aired today?
TI
TIGHazard
The airing of such adjudications (by the Broadcasting Complaints Commission) was quite a common occurrence back in the day. And the airing appeared to be done at random points in the schedule, for whatever reason.

I’m not sure how or if such adjudications are aired today?

Here's one from 2012 (although by the BBC Trust)

JO
Josh
Ofcom used to air their own summaries of adjudications on the relevant channels:

I don't know if they still do this for major incidents.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Josh posted:
Ofcom used to air their own summaries of adjudications on the relevant channels:

I believe Ofcom don't actually air anything, those are directions to the broadcaster to do something. They probably just tell GMTV or whoever to air this at a specified time and place or we'll shout some more and apply more sanctions. Or words to that effect.

In the days of the IBA they probably could have aired something (indeed if the Engineering Announcements are anything to go by they did), what with owning the transmitters and all. Although if this from 1990 was anything to go by, maybe not:

(from 3:48 )

Newer posts