TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
Sky One's F1 Qualifying Highlights yesterday appeared to be a full replay of the earlier Sky Sports F1 coverage, as they included the full delay at the start and it ran over.
UK
UKnews
Cando posted:
Any more figures on these premier league Ppv matches? the Liverpool game yesterday was literally available for free on Motd on BBC One not too long later.

What they showed the full 93 minutes? Rolling Eyes

Sky Sports Premier League had a 90 minute programme* at 11:45pm showing it, so that must have been near enough the full game.

(*I'm sure it was 90 minutes and not 30, that's why I noticed it)
VA
valley
Cando posted:
Any more figures on these premier league Ppv matches? the Liverpool game yesterday was literally available for free on Motd on BBC One not too long later.

Sky Sports Premier League had a 90 minute programme* at 11:45pm showing it, so that must have been near enough the full game.

Sky Sports PL had "PL: Liverpool v Sheffield Utd". Sun 25th Oct, 12:00am. 105 min. That'd be the full game.
MI
Michael
Cando posted:

Sky Sports PL had "PL: Liverpool v Sheffield Utd". Sun 25th Oct, 12:00am. 105 min. That'd be the full game.

Dunno about you but I tend to sleep in the night time and watch football in the evening.
EL
eladkse
dvboy posted:
Sky One's F1 Qualifying Highlights yesterday appeared to be a full replay of the earlier Sky Sports F1 coverage, as they included the full delay at the start and it ran over.

That tends to be the case for the ‘highlights’ they show on the F1 channel too.

Not to be confused with actual highlights, which they also show, with the same name. Laughing
TI
TIGHazard
I've just been thinking because it's the FA Cup First Round draw tomorrow, has anything come out on the broadcast side of things?

I know there's no replays this year, and last year had the whole complaints about games picked for international coverage being free on betting sites so BBC/BT also got to broadcast some extra.

But with the pandemic and it being behind closed doors, will the broadcasters get extra picks to compensate for the lack of replays? Will all of the games be televised in some way such as online?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
dvboy posted:

That's been the case all season to date, a full replay of the earlier session, stoppages and all. Surprised it's tooted as a "highlights" package. I was quite surprised to see the entire full delay be left in yesterday, as that saw Sky One go pretty much a full hour without any adverts.

The other programme, the Sunday "highlights" is your proper highlights programme, and its so tightly presented its quite unique as a highlights programme, no padding, just a brief introduction and we're off. I know the overall underlying aim is to say open your wallet and pay us money to watch all this live on the F1 channel, although if Sky One is just going to replay the full qualifying a few hours later it sort of defeats the point. Or am I missing something?
DV
dvboy
I think that's still the aim as they also put it right up against C4's qualifying highlights.

If you're going to pay for SSF1 you're not going to have it just for the one day and then go back to Sky One for the next race's qualifying, once you've done it you're not part of that target anymore.
BR
Brekkie
A fairly rare split live rugby game next weekend with the first half of the decisive France v Ireland game on BBC2, switching to BBC1 at 9pm after Strictly.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I've just been thinking because it's the FA Cup First Round draw tomorrow, has anything come out on the broadcast side of things?
BT is back on draw hosting duties - I believe tomorrow's is from the studio, but also getting a BBC Two simulcast (presumably wrapped from Salford).
BR
Brekkie

Well it raised £93k for food banks so some good came from it. Sky and BT reportedly want out though, thinking it is damaging their reputation.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-sky-sports-and-bt-sport-both-want-1495-pay-per-view-football-nixed-20201025?source=facebook
CA
Cando

Well it raised £93k for food banks so some good came from it. Sky and BT reportedly want out though, thinking it is damaging their reputation.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-sky-sports-and-bt-sport-both-want-1495-pay-per-view-football-nixed-20201025?source=facebook

No they want all the PPV games for free on their main channels, which is never going to happen.

It was the "free" Aston Villa V Liverpool 7-2 game which made the Premier League move to PPV. As they felt they were giving too much of their content away for nothing.
Fans complaing about the greedy Premier League is not a new story.

Newer posts