The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
AlexS posted:
There isn’t a hierarchy...

There is kind of a hierarchy...

Arrow Huw
Arrow George/Sophie/Fiona
Arrow Clive/Reeta
Arrow Kate/Mishal/Tina?
Arrow Simon/Jane/Ben/Joanna?
Arrow Victoria/Joanna/Annita/Martine/Carrie
Arrow other News Channel presenters, ie weekend regulars and relief presenters

I think there is some variation in the ordering between shows and Victoria Derbyshire, Kate Silverton and Mishal Husain are largely outside of any hierarchical structure. At the very least George would be considered above Sophie or Fiona on the Six, and Jane appears to largely be above Reeta or Clive on the One (and it is far from unknown for Clive to cover Christian on B100D). As of the most recent disclosure Simon would also appear to be below all of Jane, Ben, Joanna and Victoria in terms of pay despite working at least as many hours as any of them.

I still find it shocking that Simon McCoy has never made the BBC talent rich list especially when you consider some of the others on there.
LE
lesmauresfr
Strange rota-ing in my opinion. Surely Jane is considered more senior than Joanna?

Arrow Huw
Arrow Clive/Reeta
Arrow Kate/Mishal/Tina?

That’s very true. I know there are people out there who didn’t like Joanna doing the One today, but I really didn’t see the problem with her. She’s done it quite a few times before and she’s very good at what she does. To be honest, in terms of the One/Six/Ten, there aren’t really any presenters who I think are ‘incapable’ or not very good at what they do or “aren’t higher up in the hierarchy to present such a programme” . Let’s not forget that pretty much all such presenters have been presenting for the BBC for some years now (Tina maybe not on TV news — radio more so) and Joanna is a great example of that.
I also feel it’s sometimes nice to have a mix-up of who presents what, something that 2020 has somewhat gifted us.
CM
cmthwtv

Arrow Huw
Arrow Clive/Reeta
Arrow Kate/Mishal/Tina?

That’s very true. I know there are people out there who didn’t like Joanna doing the One today, but I really didn’t see the problem with her. She’s done it quite a few times before and she’s very good at what she does. To be honest, in terms of the One/Six/Ten, there aren’t really any presenters who I think are ‘incapable’ or not very good at what they do or “aren’t higher up in the hierarchy to present such a programme” . Let’s not forget that pretty much all such presenters have been presenting for the BBC for some years now (Tina maybe not on TV news — radio more so) and Joanna is a great example of that.
I also feel it’s sometimes nice to have a mix-up of who presents what, something that 2020 has somewhat gifted us.

If you are on about my post, I had nothing against her doing it, I found it strange she was considering the fact she had only done it (twice?) before.
LE
lesmauresfr

Arrow Huw
Arrow Clive/Reeta
Arrow Kate/Mishal/Tina?

If you are on about my post, I had nothing against her doing it, I found it strange she was considering the fact she had only done it (twice?) before.

I wasn’t. And she’s definitely done the One more than twice.
RN
Rolling News

According to my count she presented it 8 times in 2019 (at least one was on location, I think the original Brexit day on 29th March). Today was the first time she's done it this year.
CM
cmthwtv

According to my count she presented it 8 times in 2019 (at least one was on location, I think the original Brexit day on 29th March). Today was the first time she's done it this year.

I never knew that. I thought it was a very rare occasion. I offer my sincere apologies.
RN
Rolling News

I never knew that. I thought it was a very rare occasion. I offer my sincere apologies.

It’s ok! No need to apologise. I too was surprised she had done that many. ✅
NE
Newsroom

IIRC, and back to a couple of appearances on the Weekend News, the gremlins tend to come out to play. I cringed yesterday when the cameras started dancing around. I think she's a brilliant presenter and is definitely deserved of more Network bulletins.

As for the pecking order.

Other than Huw being Chief News Presenter, Fiona was official deputy on the Ten. However, it's a guessing game since Covid 19 as to any other hierarchy.
CM
cmthwtv

IIRC, and back to a couple of appearances on the Weekend News, the gremlins tend to come out to play. I cringed yesterday when the cameras started dancing around. I think she's a brilliant presenter and is definitely deserved of more Network bulletins.

Other than Huw being Chief News Presenter, Fiona was official deputy on the Ten. However, it's a guessing game since Covid 19 as to any other hierarchy.

I'd agree with most of what's been posted before, although George with his health seems to have (understandably) not gone out of his three appearances on the Six a week - and last appeared on location for the Manchester attack. Fiona also doesn't go outside one appearance a week (normally Monday 6) as well so I doubt for a major event that her or George would be chosen.

And obviously recently Simon has done the One more frequently - whereas Ben has only done one bulletin since March. Although I must admit the 4-7(6) slot is a very strong slot with some of the more "senior" presenters (Ben, Reeta, Clive).
Last edited by cmthwtv on 13 August 2020 11:15am
LE
lesmauresfr

I'd agree with most of what's been posted before, although George with his health seems to have (understandably) not gone out of his three appearances on the Six this year - and last appeared on location for the Manchester attack. Fiona also doesn't go outside one appearance a week (normally Monday 6) as well so I doubt for a major event that her or George would be chosen.

And obviously recently Simon has done the One more frequently - whereas Ben has only done one bulletin since March. Although I must admit the 4-7(6) slot is a very strong slot with some of the more "senior" presenters (Ben, Reeta, Clive).

Pretty sure George has presented the Six more than three times this year. There were a few weeks in April when he did Tuesday to Thursday and he was great, as ever. He’s sorely missed at the moment.
CM
cmthwtv

I'd agree with most of what's been posted before, although George with his health seems to have (understandably) not gone out of his three appearances on the Six this year - and last appeared on location for the Manchester attack. Fiona also doesn't go outside one appearance a week (normally Monday 6) as well so I doubt for a major event that her or George would be chosen.

Pretty sure George has presented the Six more than three times this year. There were a few weeks in April when he did Tuesday to Thursday and he was great, as ever. He’s sorely missed at the moment.

I meant a week. Doh Confused
JF
JF World News
AlexS posted:

Arrow Huw
Arrow Clive/Reeta
Arrow Kate/Mishal/Tina?
Arrow Simon/Jane/Ben/Joanna/Maryam

I think there is some variation in the ordering between shows and Victoria Derbyshire, Kate Silverton and Mishal Husain are largely outside of any hierarchical structure. At the very least George would be considered above Sophie or Fiona on the Six, and Jane appears to largely be above Reeta or Clive on the One (and it is far from unknown for Clive to cover Christian on B100D). As of the most recent disclosure Simon would also appear to be below all of Jane, Ben, Joanna and Victoria in terms of pay despite working at least as many hours as any of them.

Maryam is also Chief News Presenter working weekends on World News and the News Channel started that job last September

Newer posts