The Newsroom

BBC News nostalgia, including BBC World

Split from BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CI
cityprod
Digged out a Iraq special here with Mishal and Martine, not quite sure where Mishal is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74D9jWdJT44

She’s in Washington. I’m sure Mishal was based there in the early 2000s and done the overnight strand from there. Someone with more knowledge of that era might be able to clarify more.

Yep, that's the original Washington studio that they had in the early days of News 24. If I remember correctly, the 2am UK/9pm ET/6pm PT came from both Washington & London during that era. This was long before World News America came into being.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Steve posted:
Ah, good old Lund Point. (It's still not been demolished, for some reason!)

I was sure I had some pictures somewhere of the various studios and pres points up there, but all I can find right now is one of the galleries:
Huw wasn't there at the time - it was a freeze from earlier in the day.

There's some great pictures here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/belowred/albums/72157631505092238/with/7684280844/. It was an incredible achievement.

As pictured, as well as the studios on the roof, there were studios actually inside the building as well. I recall the English regions took it in turns to present their programmes from there, once or maybe twice each.
BR
Brekkie
Ah, good old Lund Point. (It's still not been demolished, for some reason!)

I was sure I had some pictures somewhere of the various studios and pres points up there, but all I can find right now is one of the galleries:
Huw wasn't there at the time - it was a freeze from earlier in the day.

Was it just the network news anchored from there or did the news channel do shifts from there as well?
JW
JamesWorldNews
Network, Channel and World all fully decamped to those studios, IIRC, although the overnight simulcast remained back at N8, if I’m not mistaken. (Mike Embley slot; Newsday slot still came from Lund).

The 5am simulcast programme (now The Briefing) was the first programme of the day to come from Lund.
JA
Jamesypoo
World also had a "studio" in another block of flats at the opposite side of the park as seen in this video of WHYS.

GE
thegeek Founding member
I'd completely forgotten about that one - it was an apartment block called Ironworks, over on Fish Island. World largely used it as an overspill studio when they got kicked out of their main Lund Point studio for BBC London (who I think had a reasonable claim to using the one with the better view!)

Most of these studios were external to the Park itself to cut down on the numbers of accredited staff.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Anyone? 🤔

AN
Anglialad
Anyone? 🤔

Newsbeat's Oddbox?
PE
Pete Founding member
Storyfix?
WO
Worzel
World also had a "studio" in another block of flats at the opposite side of the park as seen in this video of WHYS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thRKrTXPG4c

It was next to the box where the NC/Nationals came from. Weather came from the 'bit in the middle'.

Video tour with Tim Willcox:

JA
Jamesypoo
No, it was in a totally different building at the opposite end of the park as thegeek attested.

There were 2 boxes built on top of Lund Point for domestic/London/World, but when these 2 were in use World moved over to the other building.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It was a bit lavish to have another studio the other side just to decamp to, and all the costs that came with it. Couldn't they have just presented those hours from the normal studio

Newer posts