The Newsroom

BBC News nostalgia, including BBC World

Split from BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Incidentally, on the Business Breakfast front, whilst it was launched as part of Breakfast News in 1989, it was spun off from the main programme at the beginning of 1993, months before the change to the virtual set. I'd always thought that had happened concurrently.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1993-01-04

I seem to recall the first edition from the new virtual set opening with the presenter saying something along the lines of "While we have a new look, let me assure you that our agenda has not changed", so the Business Breakfast hour long format had already been established by that point.

Business Breakfast had broken away at the start of the yer as a separate programme. Wikipedia suggests the first hour long Business Breakfast was January 4th.
CI
cityprod
Incidentally, on the Business Breakfast front, whilst it was launched as part of Breakfast News in 1989, it was spun off from the main programme at the beginning of 1993, months before the change to the virtual set. I'd always thought that had happened concurrently.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1993-01-04

I seem to recall the first edition from the new virtual set opening with the presenter saying something along the lines of "While we have a new look, let me assure you that our agenda has not changed", so the Business Breakfast hour long format had already been established by that point.

Business Breakfast had broken away at the start of the yer as a separate programme. Wikipedia suggests the first hour long Business Breakfast was January 4th.

BBC Genome also says that as well.
NE
Newsroom
Fiona Foster spent 3 tears on Breakfast Business and Breakfast News from 1989.

Check her out here when she left LNN and went to CNN in Atlanta.

1.13min in.

RN
Rolling News
According to Genome there was something called 'Breakfast News Extra' in the late 1990s which ran for 20 minutes after Breakfast News. What was that like?
JA
james-2001
I don't remember that, though I do remember the "See Hear Breakfast News" on BBC2 where they repeated a portion of Breakfast News from earlier in the morning with in vision signing.
ST
Stuart
Business Breakfast was originally called Breakfast Business when it launched in October 1989.

I am so pleased that you posted that. I recall having a long debate with a friend of mine about the name of the programme at the time. I've spent a couple of decades thinking I misremembered. Shocked
GE
thegeek Founding member
According to Genome there was something called 'Breakfast News Extra' in the late 1990s which ran for 20 minutes after Breakfast News. What was that like?

I think it was lighter and fluffier stories, perhaps with a phone-in segment. I may be misremembering entirely, but perhaps presented from next to some real windows?

[Edit] I'm not going mad - here's a thread about it with a full episode on YouTube:
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/bbc-breakfast-news-extra-39677
SW
Steve Williams
I think it was lighter and fluffier stories, perhaps with a phone-in segment. I may be misremembering entirely, but perhaps presented from next to some real windows?

As I probably say in that other thread, the entire point of it, it seems, was so BBC1 could start programmes at 9.20 and get one jump ahead of ITV who began their daytime line-up at 9.25.
SW
Steve Williams
I don't remember that, though I do remember the "See Hear Breakfast News" on BBC2 where they repeated a portion of Breakfast News from earlier in the morning with in vision signing.

Breakfast News on BBC2 started in November 1989 when live coverage from the House of Commons began, the 8-8.15 part of Breakfast News was simulcast before the highlights of the previous day in Parliament. After a while this had signing added, and then a few years later the simulcast moved to 7am (when they started breakfast CBBC, I think) and then for some reason circa 1996 it became easier to do it on a delay, the 7-7.15 section being repeated at 7.15 on BBC2. Lasted for a very long time.

Around the same time in 1989 page 400 on Ceefax was Breakfast Ceefax, which was the latest news, sport and so on cycling around in subtitle form, the idea being you could have that on while watching Breakfast News. Although it cycled so slowly it was easier just to cycle through the regular Ceefax pages yourself. This sounds idiotic now but my grandparents had a teletext TV before we did so it was quite exciting to have a go at Ceefax when we were there.
NE
Newsroom
Here's a rare find.

Breakfast News titles on Good Friday with Tanya Sillem in the Newsroom. 1993

JK
JKDerry
Only a couple of days after that Good Friday bulletin did we have the launch of the virtual studio on Easter Tuesday 13th April 1993.

The original Breakfast News set would have been dismantled after the last programme on Thursday 8th April 1993 and God knows where that set is? Possibly used on some other BBC show later in the 1990s.

For the 1993 Easter holidays all of BBC News came from the BBC Newsroom studio, giving viewers a last chance to see it, before the ice cold blue world of the virtual studio would take over on Easter Tuesday.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Ah, good old Lund Point. (It's still not been demolished, for some reason!)

I was sure I had some pictures somewhere of the various studios and pres points up there, but all I can find right now is one of the galleries:
Huw wasn't there at the time - it was a freeze from earlier in the day.

Newer posts