The Newsroom

BBC News nostalgia, including BBC World

Split from BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
The earliest VT footage I've seen was some Tyne Tees stuff from 1962, and some of BBC2's opening night in 64

I've seen earlier US footage (not least the 6 Twilight Zones that were done on video), I don't think that counts though as we're talking UK here.

There is surving VT footage of Granada's coverage of the JFK assasination, I've seen that before. Oh, and some early behind the scenes Corrie footage on VT from 1961 was shown on the documentry about the moving sets back in 2014 (they mentioned it had been recently found, so presumably it's a tape that had been squirrelled away which is why it didn't get wiped).

As far as I'm aware, every episode of the short lived Anglia soap Weaver's Green which was made from 1965-66 exists on VT (certainly the two episodes I've seen do), which is itself pretty remarkable, even Corrie from this era only exists on telerecordings.

Last night BBC4 showed a documentary about Tom Jones. It included a clip from the 1959 ITV programme, Oh Boy of Marty Wilde. It was native VT video!
bilky asko and james-2001 gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
Am I correct in thinking the David Lowe era began with the Six O Clock News? This promo suggests it may have?

PE
Pete Founding member

- Virtual set 1993-1999 - N2(TC11)

Didn't someone on here say the last few months of that set were in N6?

How would that work? surely they'd need time to build the new set?
NE
Newsroom
Would anyone happen to know where I might find the clip of Sophie Raworth taking over mid bulletin due to Anna Ford losing her voice.

The BBC's own story is still up but the media doesn't work which is not surprising considering how old it is. I've trawled Youtube but it's not there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/2794683.stm
RN
Rolling News
Am I correct in thinking the David Lowe era began with the Six O Clock News? This promo suggests it may have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82S8aCUJzJc

The One, Six, Nine and daytime summaries all relaunched on the same day with the new look on the 10th May 1999. I wager they were promoting the Six Because the change to that bulletin was the most significant.
Steve Williams, bilky asko and Stuart gave kudos
RN
Rolling News
Would anyone happen to know where I might find the clip of Sophie Raworth taking over mid bulletin due to Anna Ford losing her voice.

The BBC's own story is still up but the media doesn't work which is not surprising considering how old it is. I've trawled Youtube but it's not there.

It says at the end that there's always a back up presenter to take over in a situation like that. I wonder if that's still the case now? I imagine if it happened now the duty News Channel presenter would take over.
NE
Newsroom

It says at the end that there's always a back up presenter to take over in a situation like that. I wonder if that's still the case now? I imagine if it happened now the duty News Channel presenter would take over.

I think these days thereā€™d be a number of presenters who could jump in.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
In normal circumstances (ie not when they are trying to keep the number of people on site to a minimum due to Coronavirus) there would always be somebody around who could fill in, I'm sure. Maybe not rostered explicitly as a backup newsreader (other than for OBs).

Even when the overnight newsreader fell asleep and missed the start of his shift, there was a producer who had some presenting experience who was able to jump into the chair.
JW
JamesWorldNews
^ The fantastic Nicky Schiller

NE
Newsroom
And here is the refresh that came before the virtual era. One and Six first editions. Martyn Lewis sound very pleased when he signs off.

CM
cmthwtv
In normal circumstances (ie not when they are trying to keep the number of people on site to a minimum due to Coronavirus) there would always be somebody around who could fill in, I'm sure. Maybe not rostered explicitly as a backup newsreader (other than for OBs).

Even when the overnight newsreader fell asleep and missed the start of his shift, there was a producer who had some presenting experience who was able to jump into the chair.

I recall once that Reeta did the first hour of afternoon live but then Ben (who was on the 5 that day) took over at three as Clive who was scheduled for the 6/10 went home ill.
IS
Inspector Sands

Yes, I don't think Sophie Raworth was there specifically as a back up presenter - she appeared without any makeup

Newer posts