The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VA
valley
Looked CSO when Sam Coates was on earlier but not 100% sure.

It isn’t CSO.
ME
mediamonkeyuk
Does anyone have an updated timeline for the new graphics roll out? Has there been any more progress on the new Westminster studio?
SK
skyviewer
Does anyone have an updated timeline for the new graphics roll out? Has there been any more progress on the new Westminster studio?

I don't know but at least yesterday it seemed that the purpose built studio was used beyond the crisis update. Maybe a sign of commencing works?
ME
mediamonkeyuk

I don't know but at least yesterday it seemed that the purpose built studio was used beyond the crisis update. Maybe a sign of commencing works?

Fingers crossed. I get there have been delays for obvious reasons but things really are starting to look stale now.

Also, would it kill them to paint the walls bright white behind the glass box even? That beige really clashes with what should be a modern look and could really revamp that whole space.

I know that in past times, all of the studios were made to match each other but that seems to have fallen out of favour. Do we know if the new Westminster studio will be similar to the glass box studio of more closely aligned with the old Westminster studio and feature the gallery/newsroom?
VA
valley
I know that in past times, all of the studios were made to match each other but that seems to have fallen out of favour. Do we know if the new Westminster studio will be similar to the glass box studio of more closely aligned with the old Westminster studio and feature the gallery/newsroom?

It will be more closely aligned with both the "real" end of studio 6 (not the VR bit) and the Glass Box.
MO
Mouseboy33
Yeah maybe painting the walls bright white is not a good idea. The graphics are already white. The studio doesnt need to be painted bright white to add to the already boring presentation. There are many of other interesting wall treatments and colours they can choose from other than boring sterile white. But then again, they might set up a special channel to watch the paint dry on the walls. SkyNewsDry maybe....?
SK
skyviewer

Fingers crossed. I get there have been delays for obvious reasons but things really are starting to look stale now.

Also, would it kill them to paint the walls bright white behind the glass box even? That beige really clashes with what should be a modern look and could really revamp that whole space.

You completely nailed it! Have been saying this for years! These brown yellowish walls are looking just not right. I do think though it's not because of the painting but rather the camera setting and the colour cast. It is especially ugly when the sun shines through. When the glass box launched in 2016 the background looked fresh white because of a probably cold camera setting.
ME
mediamonkeyuk
Yeah maybe painting the walls bright white is not a good idea. The graphics are already white. The studio doesnt need to be painted bright white to add to the already boring presentation. There are many of other interesting wall treatments and colours they can choose from other than boring sterile white. But then again, they might set up a special channel to watch the paint dry on the walls. SkyNewsDry maybe....?

I agree, that it is bland but if they freshened up the graphics and moved those away from being white it may look quite nice.

You completely nailed it! Have been saying this for years! These brown yellowish walls are looking just not right. I do think though it's not because of the painting but rather the camera setting and the colour cast. It is especially ugly when the sun shines through. When the glass box launched in 2016 the background looked fresh white because of a probably cold camera setting.

There is definitely something amiss, Sky News Today yesterday with that corridor in the background was almost unwatchable. It was more brown looking than I have ever seen it and it clashed terribly with the blue light boxes/screens? on the walls. Everything just seems so piecemeal now and they really need something new and fresh. I also note that the lighting in the late evenings is getting worse, both Anna's in the glass box seem to be plunged into a dungeon after 9pm with a dark orange lighting.

I often wonder what the presenters think about these studios considering they have previously worked in Sky News Centre. I imagine Kay is particularly unimpressed and I'm sure Steven Dixon made a comment before lockdown about it all. One of the paper reviewers said that they liked the glass box and he rolled his eyes and chuckled saying something along the lines of 'the powers at be will love you'. Seems to add up as the last time he was broadcasting from home, he has installed his own blue uplighting behind him Laughing
Meridian AM and skyviewer gave kudos
:-(
A former member
It looks fine and I’m sure the presenters are more than content with it.
VA
valley
Looks like we're back to the News Hour with Mark Austin from 5pm-7pm tomorrow due to the cancellation of the Downing Street briefings. Sky News Today until 5pm.
VA
valley
First time we've seen a standing up wall sequence in News at Ten for a while?

MA
Meridian AM
Looks like we're back to the News Hour with Mark Austin from 5pm-7pm tomorrow due to the cancellation of the Downing Street briefings. Sky News Today until 5pm.

Why is it called 'News Hour'?
Surely every hour on that channel is a news hour??
Also, this 'News Hour' is for 2 hours...? (!)

Newer posts