TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Seems Elliot Fletcher has apologised to Five Star after 30 years, as a direct result of the TOTP Facts Twitter account tweeting the video on Thursday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49794167

Erm, I thought it was quite clear that Twitter account was set up as a parody and is now pretending to be the real Eliot Fletcher. Kind of surprised that BBC News would report it as a news story.

In fact, a quick look at the account brings up this conversation: https://twitter.com/eliotfletcherr/status/470125831214231554
JA
james-2001
Two Eliot Fletcher accounts, both of which are probably fake.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Anyway why is this even a story? Somebody swears on Going Live and they suddenly feel sorry about it 30 years later? Assuming this is the real Fletcher, why is he apologising now?

Pretty sure most of us do stupid things at 13 years old, but have either completely forgotten about it or did any required apologising for it up to a week later. That's the sort of thing that gets you bargaining kudos in the playground. After you leave high school it just looks sad.
NL
Ne1L C
The next thing is someone will claim it was them who swore at Matt Bianco offering an apology!
IS
Inspector Sands
I think Eliot is now a TV director, his name in Imdb includes TOWIE.

Of course the other notable thing about that clip of him and 5 Star is that a young Michael Mcintyre is sitting in the background of the clip.

Quite an episode of Going Live that one as its April 1st and there was a great April Fool where Philip demonstrated a device that was essentially a voice controlled mp3 player.
JA
james-2001
4/8/88 (the infamous All About Eve episode) scheduled for the 11th October. No mention of All About Eve in the episode description though, maybe they just don't want to draw too much attention to it, hopefully they'll leave it in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00095kw

Rumours abound that someone at the BBC realised they actually do have a proper PasB of 23/6/88 (even though they used it for the Eurythmics performance in Big Hits 1988) in addition to the mute link/caption free copy, but seemingly came too late for them to be able to slot it into the schedule (unless there ends up being a last minute change on Thursday). The existence of the mute copy seemingly confused someone into thinking it was the only copy. Still no sign of a proper PasB of 14/7/88 turning up though.
JA
james-2001
Quite an episode of Going Live that one as its April 1st and there was a great April Fool where Philip demonstrated a device that was essentially a voice controlled mp3 player.

Also, that edition of Going Live was immediately followed by this:

I notice whenever they show clips of that on various shows we see Des shouting at someone in the gallery to sort it out, which as you can see here wasn't actually broadcast, presumably the "fight" was pre-recorded, and they decided not to air that bit. I guess pre-recording it was needed in case Des corpsed!
Last edited by james-2001 on 25 September 2019 5:31pm
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think there were two takes.
HC
Hatton Cross
And for the first time, I've noticed the first line of the introduction makes no sense! He basically trails something for the week afterwards.

It almost certinally was a pre-rec, because (and I'm right in saying the opener most weeks was pre-recorded as it set the whole stall out for the afternoon, so had to be flawless. US sports shows do this as a matter of routine) for the whole sequence/joke to work, Des had to play it straight, the sound effects from the scuffle had to be clear and yet let the visuals do the distracting work for the viewers and for the timings to work exactly.
SW
Steve Williams
I think there were two takes.

I remember it being said that the first take was too loud so they had to do it again.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 5:12pm
KE
kernow
A rather big fib appears to have been told on this weeks 7th July 1988 edition of TOTP.

Anyone else checked and discovered it?

Glenn Medeiros' 18th birthday?

According to Wikipedia, he was actually born on 24th June.

Newer posts