TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

Waiting for news of 1990 on BBC Four

JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
In fact the picture illustrates one thing that's worth looking out for in the next few weeks, as some time soon the neon logo obviously gets damaged because the bar of the T goes skee-wiff. Let's see if we can spot when it happens.

I guess with a revamp just around the corner, they didn't see the point in fixing it properly.
JA
I notice Sarah Greene's shot back at someone on twitter today. She's probably getting sick of all the tweets she doubtless gets on the subject though. It is a frustrating situation though, (and one I doubt we'd be in if he was still alive) and while I don't think his episodes should be blocked, and it doesn't seem any other presenter is able to do it, people need to stop pestering his widow over it, please.

Last edited by james-2001 on 1 June 2018 7:25pm
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
Frankly, it's ridiculous how people have actually gotten this angry at something like this. They're Top of the Pops repeats, FFS. It's astounding they're still showing them seven years on anyway.
JA
Dunno, I can understand why, when people are enjoying the repeats, and we're losing a large chunk of episodes (Mike Smith was the most prominent TOTP presenter in 85 and 86, and 2nd most in 87, it's not like it's someone who presented a handful of episodes, he presented nearly a third of the episodes in those 3 years), we're losing a lot of performances, and having to resort for searching for internet videos, which often aren't complete or of the best quality (whoever encodes most of them totally messes up the resolution, frame rate and interlacing for a start), so it's easy to understand why people are frustrated.

As I've said I don't think his episodes should be blocked, he shouldn't have had the power to do it (and seems to be unique amonst TOTP presenters for having that ability- which is why I think there's more to the story than him simply not wanting them shown) and he was merely the presenter and the show was about the music, but getting at his widow isn't the way to go about it. If anything, it means even if she is able to give the go ahead to the episodes being shown, it will have taken away any possibility she might have done because of all the pestering and abuse she's got the past 18 months or so, which isn't on.
JA
Also, before the BBC4 tweetalongs sadly stopped a few months ago, they were regularly tweeting clips of Mike Smith, not from TOTP, but from pretty much everything else he did, at times it almost felt like they were rubbing it in by tweeting footage of him so regularly.

BBC4 also repeated the 1982 Xmas special (co-presented by Smith) back in 2008 with no issues as well, so that raises questions on the subject as well.

There's a story going round that he took out an injuction against the BBC showing footage of him on TOTP due to them several times showing a clip of him presenting with Jimmy Savile on the news. I admit I don't know how true it is- especially as clips of Smith made it into the Stories of 1981 & 85 (and his voice was heard in the Story of 83), I can't help but think that an injuction taken out to stop that wouldn't have allowed them to show those clips either.

But it's a very strange, unique situation, so it's hardly suprising people come up with these stories to try and explain it.
HC
Hatton Cross Central (West) Midlands Today

As I've said I don't think his episodes should be blocked, he shouldn't have had the power to do it (and seems to be unique amonst TOTP presenters for having that ability- which is why I think there's more to the story than him simply not wanting them shown) and he was merely the presenter and the show was about the music, but getting at his widow isn't the way to go about it.

Agreed. A considered but justified sharp tweeted reply to a total cretin by Sarah.

However, just a small point here. It could be that Mike requested in his will, that no clips or longform programmes that he presented are shown on television again (last will and testiments are sometimes not all about divviying up money, posessions and property) and for that to be reversed, would take someone close and related to him, to go through the money and effort to contest it.

And as Sarah put in that tweet - it's not going to be her, just for the sake of filling up a bunch of angry 80's music fans PVR hard drives with some 30 year old repeats on BBC Four, so they say they can have a complete collection.

You may be right, and there is some other reason that we've not been told. But actually, it's none of anybody's business why, what Mike's motives were to request a 'no repeat' once I've gone, and we should forget about it and move on.
Readers are warned that this post contains some flash photography
BU
buster London London
Rather strange that there is no late night repeat of TOTP 1985 tonight. There will be a late night showing after tomorrow's edition. No special schedule that would mean the late nighter shouldn't be on. At times the schedulers on BBC4 seem to treat the archive TOTP audience with contempt. There was a period when the late night's could be shown at anything from 11pm to almost 3am once. Now tonight's usual regular late night is missing for no credible scheduling reason, almost all the albeit great programmes have been shown many times before.

It's the same with the out of the blue re-screening of 1981 a few months ago, throwing double editions night after night at viewers with indecent haste, doing the same with 1982 and 1983 and then all of a sudden after that TOTP gluttonfest they have stopped when viewers might have been expecting 1984 to show up, but it hasn't. It's all over the place.

Yes what gits they are, airing nearly ten years' worth of repeats with three showings for each one, then occasionally only getting two per edition. Then they have the cheek to repeat 3 years' worth again overnight as well . I don't know why we put up with it Wink
RD
rdobbie
It surely can't be a legal injunction as:

a) any such judgment would be available in the public domain, and
b) 'hurt feelings' isn't much of a legal argument to get a contract amended some 30 years down the line.

So it appears to be a case of the BBC 'respecting the wishes' of a dead man, which is a rather odd and unprecedented situation. How would the BBC have played it if Andrew Sachs had been so incensed by the Jonathan Ross / Russell Brand prank phonecalls that he'd demanded Fawlty Towers must never be repeated?
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I wonder if it's more a case that there was some contractual issue with repeat fees or similar that required a new contract and Mike choose not to sign on the dotted line.

It's a shame that they haven't done TOTP2 style compilations of the performances from the shows they are skipping over, but producing those would require some resources being thrown at it.
Write that down in your copybook now.
IS
Inspector Sands
Dunno, I can understand why, when people are enjoying the repeats, and we're losing a large chunk of episodes (Mike Smith was the most prominent TOTP presenter in 85 and 86, and 2nd most in 87, it's not like it's someone who presented a handful of episodes, he presented nearly a third of the episodes in those 3 years), we're losing a lot of performances, and having to resort for searching for internet videos, which often aren't complete or of the best quality (whoever encodes most of them totally messes up the resolution, frame rate and interlacing for a start), so it's easy to understand why people are frustrated.

It's not understandable, it's just a TV programme. It's to watch and enjoy.... its not Pokemon, you're not meant to collect them all!

It's a certain type of obsessive who feels this entitlement, they're probably a fan boy for a certain time traveller too...

Quote:
As I've said I don't think his episodes should be blocked, he shouldn't have had the power to do it (and seems to be unique amonst TOTP presenters for having that ability

Or it just didn't occur to the others that they could?
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 2 June 2018 12:26pm
SW
Steve Williams
I guess with a revamp just around the corner, they didn't see the point in fixing it properly.

You couldn't see it very prominently last night, but I think the wonky T was present and correct last night.

It's not understandable, it's just a TV programme. It's to watch and enjoy.... its not Pokemon, you're not meant to collect them all!

And I might have more sympathy with this suggestion ("oh, what about the co-presenters/artists missing out on repeat fees") if anyone had ever mentioned it during the 35 years when they didn't repeat any episodes at all.
TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

It's a certain type of obsessive who feels this entitlement, they're probably a fan boy for a certain time traveller too...

Quote:
As I've said I don't think his episodes should be blocked, he shouldn't have had the power to do it (and seems to be unique amonst TOTP presenters for having that ability

Or the it just didn't occur to the others that they could?

Didn't someone say after the UK Gold repeats (that's when this issue first happened with Noel Edmonds and Mike Smith) that the contracts signed afterwards to present the show explicitly allowed repeats to occur?

Here's what I think happened.

UK Gold aired a few Mike Smith episodes then stopped. Is it because they never had clearance in the first place and were alerted to that fact, or was he embarrassed by them? We'll never know. The Edmonds episodes, despite being blocked for UK Gold did air on Einsfestival.

BBC Four repeats Christmas 82 back in 2008. Someone presumably checks repeat rights and doesn't find any information about not repeating certain episodes - after all, it is UK Gold (BBC Worldwide) who were told about MS & NE episodes not being allowed to air. This repeat passes under the radar.

Upon starting the repeat run in 2011 - and creating the 'Story of' documentaries, the researchers look at the contracts and find they need to request permission for the hosts. Edmonds, Savile, DLT, etc are asked and gave permission.

The Savile revelations happen. Mike Smith is due to give an interview on BBC Radio about TOTP. He pulled out of that interview. As they get along the list of presenters to request repeat rights, they ask Mike. He declines. However they can still use clips in a 'fair dealing' setting, and perhaps the other shows contracts allowed repeats without asking.

Mike Smith tragically dies. Possibly not wanting to anger Sarah Greene, they continue with the policy they currently have.

One other thing. While searching for information on this, I noticed a little something at the bottom of the Google page.

Wouldn't you agree that's a bit of a strange message?

Newer posts