TV Home Forum

Interesting Endboards

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
"A Granada Production for LWT", from 2001.

The consumption of LWT seems to have added a bit of girth to the logo.
XQ
XQD
ITV makes quite a bit for Sky, though a lot of it through the various production companies and arms that ITV have bought or inherited over the years. Sky One's One Hundred And Eighty dart-show a year or two was done by ITV and one of their previous shows, Brainiac and its spin-offs were done by Granada Productions. Noel's Christmas Presents was done by ITV Studios for Sky many years after the BBC dropped it.

I meant more a direct ITV Studios production, such as something produced by the Entertainment label.

The indie production companies they've acquired have all retained their own unique identities (save for 'Part of ITV Studios' being added in small font underneath the logo.
DS
DarthSidious
"A Granada Production for LWT", from 2001:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGNCWmDybY

There was another version of this IIRC using the purple endcaps.

On a related presentation note Night and Day was the only programme that I can remember that used red smokey hearts on this ECP design. Many other programmes used yellow or defaulted to blue, but I think there were half a dozen colours available.

Central News used the red ecp design, which was an oddity as their look was mainly blue then.

https://youtu.be/lOTQ9mqyJXo

There is also another example of this on YouTube.
MW
Mike W
Unless there were rules in place about which types of programmes used which colours.

Did any other regional news programmes use the ECP design? Or just the Carlton owned ones?
TW
tweedledum
Unless there were rules in place about which types of programmes used which colours.

Did any other regional news programmes use the ECP design? Or just the Carlton owned ones?

Border Lookaround also used the blue version of that at some point. It may have been after the late 2001 refresh though.
DE
deejay
I suppose it was that “Granada production for LWT on ITV1” confusion that led to the demise of regional identity on the itv network. All through ITV’s existence up until the opening up of the tv production market there was a difference between who your regional itv station was and which programmes came from where, but I think most people ‘got’ it. They knew their station as Tyne Tees or Anglia and some also understood that Granada made Corrie.
But when Granada endcaps started appearing on the BBC or confused branding like on regional contractor making a programme for another on the network, it started to get silly and from a branding point of view, very confused.
GE
thegeek Founding member
For those of us of a certain age and up, that were brought up with BBC programmes only being on the Beeb and ITV programmes only ever being on ITV, I know I felt a strange thrill on seeing the 'Granada Production for the BBC' endcap on 'University Challenge' when it crossed over. It just wasn't right!

What the Papers Say was another Granada production for the BBC, ISTR.

STV Productions have made things for the BBC over the years too - Antiques Road Trip being a current example.
MA
Markymark
I stumbled recently accross a ‘Border TV and NRK Co Production for C4’ endcap somewhere on You Tube recently.

Also Southern TV would sometimes clumsily opt out of LWT’s The Big Match’ with Southampton FC highlights, if so they’d replace the LWT top and tails with an ‘LWT and Southern Co Production’ caption
NM
NeilMiles
I stumbled recently accross a ‘Border TV and NRK Co Production for C4’ endcap somewhere on You Tube recently

That would be from here

This Yorkshire Tyne Tees Enterprises endboard is one of my favourites

XQ
XQD

This Yorkshire Tyne Tees Enterprises endboard is one of my favourites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJgCL39f0r4

Very interesting. What on earth was that used for?
LL
Larry the Loafer
I guess this one's a bit of an oddity too.

I didn't learn until recently, but Gladiators was supposed to have finished at the end of its regular series. But in a bid to promote On Digital, "they" asked LWT to made a series of specials to give it a proper send off. The episodes were shown to On Digital customers (no idea what channel) before being shown on ITV in December 1999.

Considering On Digital was co-owned by the company that owned the company that produced Gladiators, how does a commission like that even work?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Slightly unusual...
http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/3/f552c19499baeb8b0d950d60ea8019d7

(sourced from closinglogos.com)

Newer posts