TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AB
ashley b Founding member
Wondering if That's Manchester has given up on anything but news? I don't watch it much as I don't live in the UK, however I am back for a little while so decided to tune in.

The EPG for today only shows 'Manchester Headline News' right up until tomorrow when Talking Pictures TV starts. However, they couldn't show 'Manchester Headline News' - after a poor fade-out from TPTV, a couple of false starts and some repeated adverts, 'Manchester Last Week Now' started.

I noted that this show had a window backdrop, although I couldn't tell where it was (possibly the backdrop from That's Lancashire in Preston). Also, I note that the backdrop for studio links and interviews has changed to the basic purple used in other areas (or perhaps they are filming it from another area?) without the TV in the middle and without the silver bands.

Finally, they haven't updated YouTube with new episodes of 'Student Speak' or 'The Geek Show' since August.

Seems like they're cost-cutting and taking further steps backwards.

To be hopnest, I wouldn't trust the EPG on that's Manchester. Quite a lot of the time it is blank, and even when it is available, it's got the wrong listings.

But just checking the channel this morning, "Manchester Headline News" is supposed to be on, but it's just an animated holding caption (the one with the Runcron Silver Jubilee Bridge in the bckground, which is is, erm, not in Manchester - I'm not sure what bridge they were thinking it was).
:-(
A former member
Currently That's Manchester is showing local news (not sure which show) instead of Talking Pictures TV. Unsure if its a technical issue with the feed from TPTV, a conscious decision or perhaps the end of the contract.

EDIT: Also, no EPG listings.
Last edited by A former member on 16 October 2017 3:30pm
DV
dvboy
Made in Birmingham had live coverage of the Birmingham marathon yesterday, what I saw wasn't bad.
BR
Brekkie
Currently That's Manchester is showing local news (not sure which show) instead of Talking Pictures TV. Unsure if its a technical issue with the feed from TPTV, a conscious decision or perhaps the end of the contract.

Love how it's assumed a local That's TV station showing local news must be a technical issue.
Araminta Kane and Spencer gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member

Love how it's assumed a local That's TV station showing local news must be a technical issue.

It wouldn't be the first time That's TV have used the news as filler.
:-(
A former member

Ah, I didn't say I wasn't glad that they were showing it, nor did I assume Wink - Seriously though, I know they're supposed to have TPTV on and therefore wondered if there was some issue somewhere, or if the contract with TPTV has ended and they were going back to local programming. My mum doesn't have a Freeview box capable of getting TPTV full-time, only an elderly LG Freeview TV. She uses That's Manchester to watch TPTV, despite my saying I will get her a new TV or a box that can get TPTV full-time. Today she wondered what had happened to TPTV and so I told her I wasn't sure, hence my original post. Personally, I'd be happy to see TPTV or another channel continue on That's channels, providing the income generated is invested into quality local programming. Alas, this doesn't seem to be happening.
JO
Jon
Meanwhile the former Mustard TV Norwich City live discussion show continues on YouTube Live.

Considering this is completely shot and mixed on IOS devices I think it’s rather good and probably more engaging and relevant than anything that That’s Norfolk will ever give. It also shows there is an audience there so it’s worthwhile doing.

The hosts style reminds me a bit of James Richardson.
NovaProdTV and London Lite gave kudos

12 days later

LL
Former That's TV head of news Charlotte Briere-Edney is now working for ITV Border out of Carlisle as their Dumfries and Galloway reporter.
RA
RossArrowsmith
I'm a former employee of That's Oxfordshire TV. I worked there from 2015-2016 and I left the same time as most of my colleagues. Afterwards, we decided to base a mockumentary on it.
LL
The video is brilliant. Seems more like the true story of That's TV though!
DB
dbl
Oh my. If anything that's like an video essay of whats wrong with 'That's TV' Laughing

Thumbs up
RA
RossArrowsmith
The video is brilliant. Seems more like the true story of That's TV though!

Funnily enough we're actually trying to raise awareness of A) Just how shocking these local channels can be and B) How often it isn't the fault of the people working there on the frontline.

We're running a Kickstarter to make the full series - eagerly waiting the reaction of people at That's!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rossarry/in-other-news-mockumentary-season-1
NovaProdTV and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts