« Topics
Brekkie31,391 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Well that ad break is certainly falling foul of the most basic of OFCOM rules, especially within a "news" programme - even with trailers etc. they can only run I think for around 5 minutes on digital channels (used to be 4m30s but I think they extended it).
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Closedown98 posts since 23 Nov 2014
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Well that ad break is certainly falling foul of the most basic of OFCOM rules, especially within a "news" programme - even with trailers etc. they can only run I think for around 5 minutes on digital channels (used to be 4m30s but I think they extended it).

It certainly seems like a good way to chase off any audience you've built up. And then running a 1 minute break in the next junction...

The way they pad the breaks is strange, too. As well as the usual trailers for the bought-in stuff, they run fillers comprised of 2-3 minute chunks of locally made programming.

Among them is a series called Book-it List - A Little Taster, which has the presenter profiling restaurants at Trinity Leeds shopping centre. It's not quite an advert (though it's clearly uncritical), but not exactly programming either. Nor does it really work as a trail for the parent show, as there's no 'Watch us every night at 6.30' type graphic at the end.

There's another filler called All-Star Unplugged - a spin-off from the programme of the same name, with local artists doing acoustic tracks in a community radio studio. Again, no attempt to tie it in with a plug for the programme it's clipped from - a first time viewer would be left baffled.

Finally, there's a clip in high rotation from a segment of Rugby AM , a rugby league magazine show. It involves impressions of rugby league personalities. We see the Rugby AM graphic at the start and end, but, once more, anyone seeing it appearing in the middle of a junction must be scratching their head.
Mr Kite886 posts since 15 Aug 2007
Granada North West Today
Bay TV launches tonight at 5:50pm, I believe.

I really hope it's at least half decent. There's a big gap in the market in this part of the world, considering we've always felt disenfranchised by the Manchester/North West arrangement. I'm worried it could be cringeworthy 'school project-standard' stuff though.
Mr Kite886 posts since 15 Aug 2007
Granada North West Today
Tonight's line-up...

5:30pm - Welcome to Bay TV Liverpool
6:30pm - News, Sport, and Business
7:00pm - Arts Alive: Books
7:30pm - Arts Alive: Music
8:00pm - News, Sport, and Business
8:30pm - The Guide
9:00pm - Liam Fogarty Meets...
9:30pm - Welcome to Bay TV Liverpool
10:30pm - Arts Alive: Acoustic
11:00pm - Close
Silver Nemesis384 posts since 9 Mar 2008
Granada Wales Today
First half an hour of Bay TV looking fairly promising - solid presenter in Jay Hynd (ex Radio City) who has done a couple of interviews, including one with station bosses Chris Kerr (ex Granada) and Chris Johnson, then a music performance and into the ads. Lighting/picture quality could perhaps be better, but they're broadcasting from a large multi-camera studio space, which makes a change from the green screen/office space efforts of some of these stations.

They've got plenty of experience of producing the sort of local content that will fill the schedule - will be interesting to see their news output.

Can't provide any caps at the moment though sorry.
aconnell2,819 posts since 17 Jan 2005
Granada North West Today
I'm out of the region at the moment so I'm hoping that something from today's launch will make it sooner or later onto YouTube or here. Fingers crossed! I'm very intrigued and excited as to what they've come up with. Following here and Twitter is the only option for now!
VMPhil9,611 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
I'm out of the region at the moment so I'm hoping that something from today's launch will make it sooner or later onto YouTube or here. Fingers crossed! I'm very intrigued and excited as to what they've come up with. Following here and Twitter is the only option for now!

I've been recording since 5.30pm and planning to upload the launch show and the 6.30 news bulletin. If there's anything else you want to see I'll be happy to try and record it for you.
London Lite gave kudos
aconnell2,819 posts since 17 Jan 2005
Granada North West Today

I've been recording since 5.30pm and planning to upload the launch show and the 6.30 news bulletin. If there's anything else you want to see I'll be happy to try and record it for you.

That would be fantastic - thank you! More than grateful for your efforts.
VMPhil9,611 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
Thoughts so far? There's next to no reaction to it on Twitter.

It seems to me to be similar to other local TV channels - shows promise but the quality so far leaves a lot to be desired. It's the little things - the launch show started dead on 5.30, but the news bulletin started three minutes early. In the news bulletin there was a very obvious tacked on news report because it is introduced by voiceover, and the previous report was introduced by the newsreader as "And finally". The bulletin itself ended quite abruptly.

Bearing in mind that all anyone has seen is the launch show and this news bulletin, which I'll post more about when I post the videos.