The Newsroom

Mike Neville has died

(September 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
Two decent length tributes led on both the late Look North and Tyne Tees news. There was also a mention before the last item on News at Ten, before an unintentional tribute to Mike by sneaking a few pink chocolates - which reminded me of this (from 3m05s).

KelpieP0921, harshy and DE88 gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
A giant of regional broadcasting. I recall his many appearances on Nationwide too. As one friend reminded me, Mike was the master of filling time when things weren't quite going to plan.

Was it Mike who famously always wore his medallion outside his shirt?
DE
deejay
A giant of regional broadcasting. I recall his many appearances on Nationwide too. As one friend reminded me, Mike was the master of filling time when things weren't quite going to plan.

Was it Mike who famously always wore his medallion outside his shirt?

You might be thinking of a certain presenter at BBC' Manchester who did that.

Always enjoyed Mike's appearances on nationwide, doing the north east results on A Song For Europe, children in need (I think). Definitely from an era of great regional presenters.
RO
rob Founding member
Here's the Look North tribute from last night's late bulletin.

LL
London Lite Founding member
ITV News Tyne Tees tribute.

IS
Isonstine Founding member
Two decent length tributes led on both the late Look North and Tyne Tees news. There was also a mention before the last item on News at Ten, before an unintentional tribute to Mike by sneaking a few pink chocolates - which reminded me of this (from 3m05s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVmknxxSMdc

That has always been my favourite clip of Mike Neville. Effortlessly opening the programme and delivering the main news of the day before easing into genuine friendly banter with Bob Johnson. I was always jealous of viewers in the North East because everything about that North East Tonight programme was so well done but that was down to Mike himself - as seen in that clip. In an era when regional news programmes were trying to be different and a little bit "with it", it was reassuringly traditional. Yes, I know it also came with the Channel 3 North East rubbish but they were spot on when they managed to get him from the BBC.

This is the ultimate in class... but still delivered with a cheeky sign off:
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I wonder if, following the precedent of Yorkshire and Look North (Leeds) joining together for the Jo Cox broadcast earlier this year there might be something similar to say goodbye to Mike when his funeral is held?
LV
LondonViewer
I was always jealous of viewers in the North East because everything about that North East Tonight programme was so well done but that was down to Mike himself - as seen in that clip. In an era when regional news programmes were trying to be different and a little bit "with it", it was reassuringly traditional.

It really was a brilliant programme. Don't think I've seen regional news to that standard since. It was the appointment to view news programme on tv in the region during that era. Mike Neville was a true pro.
RD
RDJ
There's been some wonderful tributes on the main evening ITV News Tyne Tees and on Look North.

Was nice for Tyne Tees to show one of Mike and Bob's jovial interactions with the paper bags in full. And indeed on Look North they ended the show with Mike's leaving speech in full which I thought was a lovely touch. I could tell that Ian on Tyne Tees and Carol on Look North were both genuinely very sad about the news.

He was an ultimate North East star and legend, and one of the biggest regional personalities that has existed. On par to the likes of Richard Whiteley within the Yorkshire region.

He was a top chap that we won't see the likes of again. He relished in the face of adversity, indeed here he is helping a fresh faced Terry Wogan out on A Song for Europe in 1980 when the voting ends up being tied. He first makes an appearance during the voting at the 50:12 mark.

SO
Steven O
Few regional news presenters have managed to pull in the viewers for the main evening news programme on one channel and then join the other side and repeat the trick there, but Mike did exactly that. He was a true broadcasting colossus.

Rest in peace, Mike.
HC
Hatton Cross
I think he is the only presenter, to broadcast the last regional evening news show from one studio centre on Friday, and then the first from the new one on the next Monday evening, for both BBC and ITV.
PE
Pete Founding member
I don't know what I can add to this, however someone said earlier that Mike made NET the main event, and ITN was the afterthought. To me that was his best quality, he made the news from Newcastle matter just as much as the news from London.

On a related note - does anyone have the music from North East Tonight's 96 package?

Newer posts