TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MM
MMcG198
This post is not me advocating the reinstatement of the BBC One globe. The globe served BBC One well but it's not really an appropriate symbol for a TV channel in this age. Back in the day - when it symbolised bringing a world of entertainment to its audience, when the BBC One schedule was filled with imports - it probably made a certain amount of sense. Not now.

A friend spotted this statement in one of my posts over the weekend and has contacted me to point out that although the "bringing a world of entertainment to its audience" was the symbolism that BBC One was pushing in the 1980s, the original intent behind the globe symbol was more to emphasise the fact that, with the advent of satellite technology, broadcasting was becoming global. When Donald Baverstock introduced the symbol in 1963, it was more about emphasising the authority of the BBC - with undoubted echoes of the BBC motto "nation shall speak peace unto nation" - than selling the channel itself.

Looking back on it, it's amazing to think that a general entertainment TV channel - broadcasting to the UK - had a globe as its on-screen branding device for almost 40 years. As my friend pointed out, it really does seem as though its relevance as a symbol/branding device for BBC One went unchallenged for many years and that it was simply accepted as just being a strong, iconic image, which everyone came to associate with BBC One.
:-(
A former member
I still think when we entered the 90s even with a single ident the channel expanded with whole host of stings and bumpers for the "1" So the channel was already starting to move away from the global in 1991. The balloons is a very strange thing, and ones wonder maybe there get 1991 and 1997 rebrands in the wrong order.

Remember back in the day the BBC should for something in the world, for its programmes etc How many Language services does the BBC still operate
NI
nigel
I'd be quite happy to see the globe return.

Not standing for imperialism but for the simple fact it was classy, clean and uncluttered by marketing suits who seem to think we want something meaningful... a representation of "oneness", (what ever that is), and inclusive!

One ident and a clean voice over IMHO is all that needed and would be a refreshing change to countless arty (baffling), nonsense on the majority of channels.
MW
Mike W
I wouldn't want the globe to return, I wouldn't necessarily like the balloon to return - but something similar and as classy. I always loved English 12 - a modern take on the Balloon would be nice!

I think the globe wouldn't necessarily represent what BBC 1 is in this day and age; but then I don't think these awful Martin Parr 'things' does either, and I'd rather a plain globe than them.
A former member
The biggest problem is the idents are either too generic or to london esq in there ideas. The current BBC One idents clearly dont represent what BBC one is all about, If the people on points of view get that then its bloody obvious. If it was stuff lots of people do then I could get it like kids playing football, or people on a walking club, normal stuff.

ITV just the same, I think those idents should be better or be a mix of great popular programmes while also have local idents ie from all around the UK which local people will click straight away.
DP
D.Page
BBC1, you have a programme scheduled for late tonight entitled Life after Suicide. An ident without any possible subliminal message is needed, to avoid any repeat of the recent McCann doc/Birdwatchers debacle.
LS
Lou Scannon
BBC1, you have a programme scheduled for late tonight entitled Life after Suicide. An ident without any possible subliminal message is needed, to avoid any repeat of the recent McCann doc/Birdwatchers debacle.

Such as feeling suicidal due to the sheer embarassment of appearing in one of these dire idents?
DP
D.Page

Such as feeling suicidal due to the sheer embarassment of appearing in one of these dire idents?

Any serious responses are most welcome.
A former member
There just played out Kayakers ( nearly out in full 27 sec) So that might use that one again for that programme? There is nothing else I can see them being able to use.
DP
D.Page
There just played out Kayakers ( nearly out in full 27 sec) So that might use that one again for that programme? There is nothing else I can see them being able to use.

You are referring to Scotland (Kayakers, to around 28")
Network: Kayakers 23"
Wales: Kayakers 25"
NI: Forest 28"
A former member
Well done Scotland then, I might need to upload now if hat is the case. Of course Scotland had just come out of River city.
A former member

Newer posts