TV Home Forum

CiTV Presentation

(October 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Did generic credits ever really apply to CITV anyway? Certainly CD:UK always had its own style of credits right to the end, and I know both Scratch & Sniff's Den of Doom and MPAA did- both in 2006. Not seen any later CITV shows, so not sure if more recent one have, but CITV shows certainly had their own style of credits into the mid-00s.

Not that I can really understand why ITV have been sticking with bland generic credits for the past 15 years when no other UK TV channel has done it.

Unless by light blue background you mean something other than ITV's generic credits from the 00s...
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Did generic credits ever really apply to CITV anyway? Certainly CD:UK always had its own style of credits right to the end, and I know both Scratch & Sniff's Den of Doom and MPAA did- both in 2006. Not seen any later CITV shows, so not sure if more recent one have, but CITV shows certainly had their own style of credits into the mid-00s.

Up until 2004 and the dropping of in-vision continuity, ITV generic credits didn't apply to CITV Programmes (not the CITV service itself as they'd stopped doing them by then), but after this some programmes used the ITV style, and some didn't but there was no pattern to it. My Parents Are Aliens seemed to be exempt from the generic style, whereas whatever the name of that programme on CITV was that featured the kid off the BBC's Small People/Future Generations promo (edit: Scott Chisholm and the programme was called The Giblet Boys) did have ITV generic credits.
FA
fanoftv
They generally had a music performance on the Central News set (with the desk removed and CITV logos up) on a Friday and used credits. This was more common from May - September 1998.

The set in May contained cut outs of the logo similar to the characters and used the Central/Carlton Orange & Purple colouring for the floor titles.
The set was changed along with graphics and theme in the September to use the 3D logos, the TV's added to the monitors and the flooring replaced with red & blue tiles.

This stayed for a year before the small set was decorated blue in September 1999 before moving the large set in January 2000.

With regards to the generic credits - even when they were used the credits were shrunk and did not utilise the old side cut out.
Last edited by fanoftv on 2 November 2015 6:25am
PT
Put The Telly On
Remember Scally the Dog more than any of those presenters, but only when we reminded of him. I was certainly more of a CITV viewer in my younger days though probably flicked back and two between the two as I got older - certainly tended to watch the 4.40pm show on CITV over the 4.35pm show on CBBC.

I was very much a Broom Cupboard kid, I don't really recall much of CITV before Tommy Boyd in 1991.
SW
Steve Williams
I never understood why they didn't use a studio, but did present around the Central building and use a gallery. Would it have been down to studio hire costs and if so why were they able to use the building?

They probably were able to use a studio but didn't want to. Of course its competition in those days was the Broom Cupboard, and there was a bit of a trend in those days, especially in kids shows, for sets that illustrated the mechanics of television - Going Live's set showed a lot of the bare studio walls and Grandstand did around that time too. So presumably it was a combination of wanting to ape the Broom Cupboard and wanting to be a bit anarchic and appear like they were gatecrashing the proper telly.
MT
MrTBear
I never understood why they didn't use a studio, but did present around the Central building and use a gallery. Would it have been down to studio hire costs and if so why were they able to use the building?

They probably were able to use a studio but didn't want to. Of course its competition in those days was the Broom Cupboard, and there was a bit of a trend in those days, especially in kids shows, for sets that illustrated the mechanics of television - Going Live's set showed a lot of the bare studio walls and Grandstand did around that time too. So presumably it was a combination of wanting to ape the Broom Cupboard and wanting to be a bit anarchic and appear like they were gatecrashing the proper telly.

They did have some sort of a studio on Summer Mornings, but all it really was just a few walls with some sun cutouts and artwork sent in plastered all over it, and a couple of bean bags.
MT
MrTBear
Interesting bit of pres here, from when ITV were doing the Day Of Promise telethon- CiTV kicked off the day live from the Jubilee Gardens. Also note the special CiTV DOG made for that day.
DJ
DJ Dave
They did have a garden set on CiTV at some point after 1998
:-(
A former member
And before anyone asked.... http://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/itvs-day-promise-memories-39712/ for FULL DETAILS ABOUT ITV Day of promise. Wink
BU
buster
I think GMTV2 pre-CITV branding largely featured pre school shows. I remember they'd always finish well before 9:25 and they'd fill the time with the most tedious filler of some toddlers playing with a load of toys accompanied by just the most dreadful library music known to man.

It's funny how the GMTV2 requirement lasted as long as it did. They ended up shifting it over to ITV4 when they wanted to make ITV2 24 hours meaning there were kids programmes for three hours each morning on ITV4 which was odd.

Did this end with GMTV? I know it was all to do with the licensing of ITV Breakfast.

Oh that filler was creepy. Lasted really late too, still going in 2006 at least. Reminds me of "Kiddy Stare" from Brass Eye.

And yes GMTV2 still technically exists on CITV, which is why you'll see a promo/ident begin at 09:25:00 each day. (see also London Weather having a different sponsor in the week, which magically switches for Friday's ITV News London for the rest of the weekend...)
JA
james-2001
One thing I always remember was the Disney Club was an usual show is that it began during GMTV, but ran until after it, there'd always be an advert break just before 9:25, then you'd get the picture roll of the switch from GMTV to the ITV region just before the start of another part (there used to be a video of this on YouTube, but it seems to have gone now). Must be the only programme to run that way. Though of course the Disney Club pre-dated GMTV, so maybe the show running outside of GMTV was a holdover from then.
:-(
A former member
It never lasted long but it happens twice, once in 1993 and again in 97? Remember it was scottish tv that produced Disney club from the start in 1989, plus scottish was a shareholder of GMTV. There Is full history on this on wiki.

Newer posts