The Newsroom

BBC News Channel: Presentation

Move to Broadcasting House and new look today (April 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom
BBC News Special on BBC1 now.

Also simulcasting on World. Interesting point here. I am streaming World and they are some 3 seconds ahead of the BBC One and the News Channel.
SR
SomeRandomStuff
I'm actually disappointed that the BBC didnt update the countdown graphics to make them more like those used by BBC Persian and BBC Arabic.

As for the audio: The first 30 seconds of this countdown are superb, its just a shame the last 30 dont do anything new. Its as if David Lowe has just changed the bassline, and some of the sound effects, but the drums, thunderclaps and the strings are exactly the same as the last one.

I've noticed that BBC News tend to fade out their countdown audio before the start of a simulcast on BBC One. This is probably to avoid the sound spilling over onto BBC One - In which case this tweak is probably to facilitate that.

The BBC Pips officially start at 5s on BBC Radio. So I don't see how its relevent on the news considering it's a musical cue that is only supposed to allude to the GMT pips. The countdown does not actually end on the hour as with TV broadcast delays it would always be out of sync.

All said and done, the countdown is Wishy Washy, the graphics and audio lack the punch that I would have expected.

David Lowe needs to do something MAJOR with his news music or we'll lose it altogether with the move to broadcasting house.
NE
newsfan1
I would like to see a return to the Ribbons style countdown used for BBC World in the past.

I like the David Lowe music and certainly hope it is kept.

On a different point - is Mike Seargant the Pol Corr anything to for BBC Pol Ed John Seargant?
GI
ginnyfan
I expect they will have a totally new theme and look when they move, an end of an era.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I agree that the current style of David Lowe music is becoming very, very tired. There's only so much that can be done with it, and that's already been done! I think BBC News should have a fresh start when they move to Broadcasting House, though that does not necessarily mean dropping David Lowe. Surely he could start from scratch and create a new theme for BBC News, in the same way that Dave Hewson has taken ITV News' music in different directions over the years? Hewson has done a good job of keeping certain key elements but making it sound much fresher each time. I don't see why Lowe can't do the same for the BBC?
MA
Magoo
On a different point - is Mike Seargant the Pol Corr anything to for BBC Pol Ed John Seargant?

His son.
NE
newsfan1
Magoo posted:

His son.

Thanks
NE
newsfan1
M@ posted:
A nice new music mix and definitely a step in the right direction. Still though, it's badly implemented. The logo form up at the end, in particular, could be done so much better whilst still having a countdown to zero. Plus, as pathetic as it is, it irks me the pips start from 9 seconds to the hour. Still, it's better than before.

Generally, despite the refreshes, I have to say the whole BBC News style (music and graphics) have become very stale. The white titles in particular started weak and have only become weaker as time's gone on. I used to absolutely love the music and, while it's still iconic, the current package had run its course. I've never liked the current astons and still hate them today.

Time for a total refresh. Out with the red, white and grey.

+1. I have never liked the current graphics package and is now even more inferior given the Sky rebrand
WE
Westy2
Magoo posted:

His son.

Thanks

Anyone know if Anthony Bartram is any relation to Showaddywaddy front man Dave Bartram?
SR
SomeRandomStuff
The ribbons were better because they were simpler, cleaner. Lambie-Nairn's BBC News & World News graphics, whilst excellent, are too complicated. The graphics they created for the BBC World Service, BBC Persian and BBC Arabic, are far more distinctive and cleaner like the ribbons. Much of Lambie-Nairn's graphics incorporate elements that are very VERY similar, just look at Abu Dhabi, Alaribiya and NOS, all of which have music by David Lowe. The BBC will more than likely go with another design firm unless Lambie-Nairn come up with some drastic new ideas.
I agree that the current style of David Lowe music is becoming very, very tired. There's only so much that can be done with it, and that's already been done! I think BBC News should have a fresh start when they move to Broadcasting House, though that does not necessarily mean dropping David Lowe. Surely he could start from scratch and create a new theme for BBC News, in the same way that Dave Hewson has taken ITV News' music in different directions over the years? Hewson has done a good job of keeping certain key elements but making it sound much fresher each time. I don't see why Lowe can't do the same for the BBC?

I think it is wrong to say that everything that can be done with the music has been done. A good composer could find plenty of ways of keeping the iconic parts of the current music and incorporating them into, say, a more orchestral theme? - The music will only go if the rebrand team can find something better, which is far more difficult than refreshing the current theme. If Lambie Nairn is involved then David Lowe will definitely be doing the music.

I defy you to find some news music that is better than David Lowe's BBC Stuff - even if the new countdown isn't so special.
AC
aconnell
It will be very exciting to see what BBC News will have lined up for their next rebrand in x many years time. Yes, this current branding does have its pros and cons. The on-screen graphics, astons et al., while very clear, concise and not-gimmicky, are a little TOO simplistic and bland, and could perhaps do with being brought up with the times in the next update. Less solid colour, being more compact and easier on the eye.

We are to expect BBC News in HD when they move to BH, right?

As for David Lowe, we have heard his excellent variations, such as World News America, World News Today, BBC Persian, which all have variable elements of the BBC News music. I am confident there is a lot of life left in David Lowe and his compositions, which has served well for a decade, arguably the most successful and most widely recognised news music in the world.
ZS
ZiggyShadowDust
M@ posted:
Plus, as pathetic as it is, it irks me the pips start from 9 seconds to the hour. Still, it's better than before.

I don't know why you are saying 9 seconds. It's actually 10.00 seconds from the hour. Think about it. There are units after the decimal point.* The previous version pips began at 08.00 seconds from the hour.

*When I first saw the introduction of decimal points in 2005, I was a bit confused too. I realised eventually the pips began at 11.00 seconds from the hour, while the BBC World equivilant began at 10.00 seconds. So you're forgiven.

Newer posts