The Newsroom

US Election Night: International Coverage

(November 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Brekkie posted:
So pointless - surely viewers would rather see the reporter on location (that's why CNN sent them there), rather than as a "hologram" in the studio.

They did it because they can! It was a very neat, clever demonstration of two areas of TV technology being used together (VR sensing and Sport multi-camera derived scene reconstruction)

The problem they had was that they didn't have an application for it...

Quote:

If anything they should be transporting the presenters to the various locations, which I'm sure could be done very easily via CSO.

Though that would be totally unethical if you didn't clearly state that the reporter wasn't in that location. Also implementing a system that allowed you to do clean 3D tracking and zooming of both foreground and background is still quite complex. The CNN thing only had to cope with a single 3D element (the reporter) not a background - which was real. Trying to analyse a background to do the same thing would be quite a lot more complex (unless you just wanted a flat spherical projection surrounding your reporter)

BTW - CNN used CSO to implement their "hologram". The guest was stood in a green tent, with the cameras poking through, and the video sent to CNN in NY was effectively a single angle shot of the reporter against green, with the NY vision mixer (or upstream keyer) CSOing them into the studio camera shot. The clever bit was the motion data from NY and the image processing in Chicago that merged the best two (from thirty-five) camera shots for any given angle requested.
EY
the eye
Here is TV3's pisstake of their hologram from tonights Election here in New Zealand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdOEsguv_J4
NG
noggin Founding member
the eye posted:
Here is TV3's p***take of their hologram from tonights Election here in New Zealand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdOEsguv_J4

Hmm - nice idea - but they kind of missed the point - CNN had constantly moving cameras on their version, which was the impressive/clever bit. If they had faked that with some subtle DVE-ery I'd have been impressed and amused - but if you take the p*** you have to do it better than the original... They didn't. Joke fell flat.
EY
the eye
You're obviously not familiar with John Campbell then! But why would you be, you don't live in NZ lol
MA
mark Founding member
Looking back on how the US networks covered Election Night, one thing that I've noticed is that some went to much more effort with their studios than others - and that's a bit surprising.

CNN made more use of their 'Election Center' than ever before (I didn't realise how huge it was until Tuesday night). ABC totally refitted the inside of the Good Morning America studio in Times Square to create a fresh and very impressive set. Fox News had a big specially-built set, which was an updated version of the one they used on Super Tuesday.

However, NBC (who had superb coverage) had a fairly small studio, which probably wan't much bigger than the BBC's. And CBS went to the least effort of the lot - they just used the usual Evening News studio with, as in every election since '96, an American flag on the backdrop.

I didn't think anyone's studios looked bad - but I'm surprised that, given the historic nature of the election, CBS and (particularly) NBC didn't push the boat out a bit more.
WW
WW Update
Here's a wonderful compilation of highlights from election night coverage as seen on the main US networks (including how each of them declared Obama the winner):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qiRwCuQmZA
BA
baoren
mark posted:
Looking back on how the US networks covered Election Night, one thing that I've noticed is that some went to much more effort with their studios than others - and that's a bit surprising.

CNN made more use of their 'Election Center' than ever before (I didn't realise how huge it was until Tuesday night). ABC totally refitted the inside of the Good Morning America studio in Times Square to create a fresh and very impressive set. Fox News had a big specially-built set, which was an updated version of the one they used on Super Tuesday.

However, NBC (who had superb coverage) had a fairly small studio, which probably wan't much bigger than the BBC's. And CBS went to the least effort of the lot - they just used the usual Evening News studio with, as in every election since '96, an American flag on the backdrop.

I didn't think anyone's studios looked bad - but I'm surprised that, given the historic nature of the election, CBS and (particularly) NBC didn't push the boat out a bit more.

But CBS's graphics aint bad Very Happy
BR
Brekkie
WW Update posted:
Here's a wonderful compilation of highlights from election night coverage as seen on the main US networks (including how each of them declared Obama the winner):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qiRwCuQmZA

Cheers for that - great compilation.
MA
mark Founding member
yaloh posted:
mark posted:

But CBS's graphics aint bad Very Happy

Nope - not bad at all!
BA
baoren
I pretty much enjoyed the election music. Any idea where would we be able to listen to a longer piece of it?
ST
st1407
Has anyone recorded the Fox News election programm on election night?
MA
mark Founding member
yaloh posted:
I pretty much enjoyed the election music. Any idea where would we be able to listen to a longer piece of it?

Not sure which election music you mean, but NBC's election theme is fantastic...

Full version here

Newer posts