The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RB
RedButton
The problem with flippers or tickers nowadays is that they aren´t too functional when they only copy the website titles. A lot of times more context is needed. If they are more curated like in the past, i would keep them on screen. Especially when there are ongoing or live events that are interrupting the running order, they are useful.
MI
m_in_m
BBI45 posted:

I understand your argument, but I still tend to look at a ticker or flipper when it's present. As Meridian AM has said, it's down to how they're used. With channels like Al Jazeera and France 24, there will often be stories included in the ticker that aren't included in the main bulletin. I think that if they're gonna be used to provide a summary of the headlines, then keep it. If they're gonna be used for self-promotion or outdated breaking news, scrap it.

Well, not any headlines Shocked :

I think they were, the headlines didn’t have the detail that they usually have and as I said they were all the same as world news. They had a weird one in it that said something like “ working from bed: it’s great I don’t even have to get dressed ” which was a website headline.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-55775292

Also the world clocks are gone today so it must’ve just been an issue with the news channel one. Which is a shame I quite liked them.

It's a persistent problem with BBC World News. Hard to believe it was the gold standard of international news channels with such headlines. Surely it's not that difficult to periodically have someone take a few minutes to just copy and paste real news headlines.

This feels fixable. As I understand World take their headline from the website. If they added a field to the content system that asked the author to provide a standalone headline for TV or a tick box that said this story doesn't work outside the website that could surely fix it?
Independent and BBI45 gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
I saw that as well, couldnt believe it really but its not that headline, its other appears as well so bizarre and no context to it, also the BBC World News flipper seems to be more transparent during programmes, its such a giveaway when its coming from NBH and the transmission centre.
UN
Universal_r
I saw that as well, couldnt believe it really but its not that headline, its other appears as well so bizarre and no context to it, also the BBC World News flipper seems to be more transparent during programmes, its such a giveaway when its coming from NBH and the transmission centre.

The world news flipper always has weird website headlines like that it just look terrible as they have absolutely no meaning usually.
I thought it looked a bit more transparent but I wasn’t sure if it was just my eyes.
Independent and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
MO
Moz
DTV posted:
The most annoying thing about the BBC News lower thirds is that waste of space semi transparent black bar. It needlessly hides part of the picture and looks ugly.

That black bar is pointless. Would look better with just the BBC logo without that bar, straight on the image.

The slightly too narrow red box on the black bar has always slightly bothered me. I don't think that no bar would suit it at all - the logo would look even more out of place.

I've mocked up a few versions - to see what other people think. Personally, I'd opt for the red bar version.

I've always thought they should just use a black gradient rather than a single opacity black...

BR
Brekkie
The problem with flippers or tickers nowadays is that they aren´t too functional when they only copy the website titles. A lot of times more context is needed. If they are more curated like in the past, i would keep them on screen. Especially when there are ongoing or live events that are interrupting the running order, they are useful.

Your user name is apt here as that is where the red button via digital text or connected TV should come in - you get a headline on the ticker which you can expand to see more. Sadly that sort of thing now seems a thing of the past due to cost rather than being completely redundant.
Independent and AndrewPSSP gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan
Watching Shaun Ley cover breaking news about Aung San Suu Cyu at the top of the hour and the amount of context and information he ad libbed is impressive. He has been such a great addition to World weekends since the simulcasts started. A classic BBC newscaster, experienced, knowledgable and always in charge. A rarity these days on any network.....
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Yes, the BBC's strengths are showing. Doing well on this story with live contributions from Jonathan Head in Bangkok, and now Fergal Keane giving very useful context and analysis over the phone. Reged Ahmad in the studio holding her own with sensible questions in the midst of a confusing, developing situation.

Quite impressed they have managed to bring together 20 mins of freewheeling coverage after midnight (GMT) given so few details about exactly what's going on (and the motivations behind it) are known so far.
Last edited by scottishtv on 1 February 2021 12:37am
CF
CallumF
Yes, the BBC's strengths are showing. Doing well on this story with live contributions from Jonathan Head in Bangkok, and now Fergal Keane giving very useful context and analysis over the phone. Reged Ahmad in the studio holding her own with sensible questions in the midst of a confusing, developing situation.

Quite impressed they have managed to bring together 20 mins of freewheeling coverage after midnight (GMT) given so few details about exactly what's going on (and the motivations behind it) are known so far.

Forgive me but are the BBC not one of the handful of broadcasters who have a presence within the country? I actually think their correspondent was (wrongly!) imprisoned for a while there. It may be the case it's not safe or possible for him to report on this just now.
IN
Independent

Forgive me but are the BBC not one of the handful of broadcasters who have a presence within the country? I actually think their correspondent was (wrongly!) imprisoned for a while there. It may be the case it's not safe or possible for him to report on this just now.

I don't think they have any correspondents there anymore except possibly those working for the Burmese language service. But I'm aware some BBC World Service language divisions have no employees in countries they're aimed at due to conditions in those countries.
NY
NYTV

There also are reports that news channels--both domestic and international -- are offline and that internet and phone services are affected as well. So if the BBC does have a Burmese correspondent on the ground, they may not be able to report
AP
AndrewPSSP
The Burmese service does have correspondents in Burma, however, I'd hazard it's rather difficult for them to report currently.
Main roads in Napyidaw and Yangon have been blocked and mobile internet services were only restored a few moments ago. Phone lines are still cut, and there's still no television access - even the state broadcaster was taken off air. I myself have only just been able to confirm the safety of most of my relatives in Burma via voip.
The bulk of output from the Burmese service is on Facebook.

Newer posts