TV Home Forum

BBC and ITV Regional Services

Transmissions across regional borders (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
danste237
I am living in an area that is on the border of both BBC and ITV regional outputs, Namely BBC Midlands and BBC Points west, ITV Central and ITV West, The area is served on free view by BBC Midlands and ITV Central, but are regional stories land on ITV West and BBC Points west, I understand that this is due to the signals from transmitters at ridge hill broadcasting Midlands Today and ITV Central and Mendip Transmitter broadcasting, ITV West and BBC Points west, with the technology and high speed internet is there not a way to stream and broadcast a low frequency extra BBC one slot, not saying HD so we can actually get our regional news. As a public broadcasting service I would have thought this would of been explored before now.
CM
cmthwtv
I find myself with the same situation. Luckily, I get Points West here in Gloucester on the Sky Q box.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
All of the BBC One variants stream via iPlayer, so that's available to you on most Smart TVs
NL
Ne1L C
And if you’re prepared to do some manual tuning all itv variations are available on sky plus
MI
TheMike
ITV West is also available in parts of the Ridge Hill transmitter coverage area via a separate frequency. BBC R. Gloucs is on Freeview channel 735, but as Steve in Pudsey points out, via a smart TV you can stream regional programming via the iPlayer for Points West.
DA
danste237
Is this at the same time as the live broadcast or is there a period to wait from live, Thanks for feedback and advice.
I was aware of the channels on sky plus being local coverage, just seems strange that there wasnt say 2 BBC One channel braodcasts say from ridge hill broadcasting BBC Midlands as now and BBC Points west on a new frequency slot so we had the chice, it is the same with the weather, but this seems to have been altered over the last few months as Gloucester now shows on BBC Points west and Midlands Maps,
DO
dosxuk
Won't happen as all the possible frequency spectrum to do things like this has been sold off to the phone companies.
MA
Markymark
Won't happen as all the possible frequency spectrum to do things like this has been sold off to the phone companies.

ITV West from Ridge Hill is transmitted from a special mux that only contains ITV West SD.
It's a QPSK mux, with 10 Mb/s payload. ITV will only be using 2 or 3 Mb/s, so there is space
there to also carry BBC 1 West SD, but the Beeb have never appeared to be interested in the idea ?
Spencer and danste237 gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
I believe it’s there as part of the legacy when Central South was disbanded and Gloucestershire moved into ITV West’s territory.

I frequent to Hereford a couple of times a year and from memory you are able to watch ITV West on Freeview with no issue, albeit in the 800’s.
PE
peterh
Leicestershire - east and West Midlands , Northamptonshire - anglia West, West Midlands, East Midlands and Thames valley. Lincolnshire - hull region East Midlands, East anglia and Cumbria south ggranada and bbc north west. Cumbria north - itv border and bbc north east
DA
danste237

ITV West from Ridge Hill is transmitted from a special mux that only contains ITV West SD.
It's a QPSK mux, with 10 Mb/s payload. ITV will only be using 2 or 3 Mb/s, so there is space
there to also carry BBC 1 West SD, but the Beeb have never appeared to be interested in the idea ?

Just a thought as with the TV spectrum being moved to free up the frequency for phone networks, wouldn't there be more frequent space and as Markymaek said there is a capability after all think its a bit unfair to pay TV licence when I have to stream my local news on iplayer. And that not being live as would be on BBC one so not exactly getting my local news when they are live, wonder why the BBC have never had an interest in this, seems strange as well when watching the titles for the 2 regions, Midlands today has Gloucester in the place names but Gloucester cathedral appears in the opening of points west and Cheltenham its in place names.
BA
Ballyboy
Yeah, bbc points west covers parts of Dorset but no Dorset place names appear in the titles

Newer posts