The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BF
BFGArmy
Great addition to the London team - he did seem rather underused at Atlanta.

There don't particularly seem enough slots in London for the number of presenters they have what with Hala,Max, Hannah Vaughan Jones (though she'll be away on maternity leave soon), Bianca Nobilo, Isa Soares and co all already sharing a one-hour primetime shift and a daytime slot (which is essentially these days a 30 minute bulletin IIRC).
AF
Affi_85
Hannah Vaughn Jones was only ever freelance.
GI
ginnyfan
I haven't seen Hannah recently.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I haven't seen Hannah recently.

Along with Iain Dale from LBC, she shared hosting duties for the Tory Leadership Hustings.
AF
Affi_85
I guess they got rid of her with the reduction of london output
EX
excel99
Whilst I'm guessing CNNI's cost savings maybe the reason why, there hasn't been any reduction in the number of London 'on-air' shifts. The 'on-air' cutback in London has been Max Foster going from 2/3 shows a day to 1, and no full bulletins routinely airing from London before 1300UK, rather than 0900UK. By my count, London 'on-air' output has gone from 4.5 hours (4 on Mondays) to 3.5 hours. It seems the cuts were mostly 'behind the scenes' in London.
GI
ginnyfan
Cyril Vanier tweeted that he will be doing a ''new show'' from London, whatever that means.
SN
The SNT Three
Cyril Vanier tweeted that he will be doing a ''new show'' from London, whatever that means.

This reminded me of a pilot which I spotted on YouTube a few months back. Not sure whether it will be this which will come to fruition... The video is really rather bold, towards the end there is a segment explaining why CNN should pick up the show!

The name reminds me of something I've seen on CNNI before...
AF
Affi_85
How did the pilot even get online? Looks like a good for format although it isn’t anything innovative that they haven’t done before.

I miss Michael Holmes ‘backstory’ now that was something different.

Jim Clancy. Could never stand him!
JW
JamesWorldNews
I still miss Fionualla. My all-time favourite anchor at CNN.

From that particular “crop”, only Rosemary Church and Michael Holmes remain. Everyone else is gone.......alas.
JW
JamesWorldNews

Yes. All true. The new “show” is to be called “Nice One”..........

I’ll get my coat.......

EDIT | Just saw on Twitter that Senior Producer of CNN Newsroom Atlanta (Ben Bamsey) is relocating to London to be involved in “producing new shows”. Note the plural.

Perhaps London is getting some new output after all, and not only Cyril. Good news if so. I always found the output from CNN London to be the best on the network.
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 29 August 2019 8:45am
BF
BFGArmy
I still miss Fionualla. My all-time favourite anchor at CNN.

From that particular “crop”, only Rosemary Church and Michael Holmes remain. Everyone else is gone.......alas.

While not CNN Centre crew, the likes of Becky Anderson and Hala are still going strong too. I don't mind the relative "newbies" in any case - the likes of Lynda Kinkade, Cyril Vanier, Amara Walker and co are all fantastic.

The likes of Fionnuala Sweeney, Ralitsa Vasilleva, Zain Verjee, Monita Rajpal and co are missed though - they had a real authority about them and you knew any newcast they were involved in would be a solid newscast. That even applies to the likes of Mari Ramos and Jenny Harrison.

Yes. All true. The new “show” is to be called “Nice One”..........
I’ll get my coat.......

EDIT | Just saw on Twitter that Senior Producer of CNN Newsroom Atlanta (Ben Bamsey) is relocating to London to be involved in “producing new shows”. Note the plural.

Perhaps London is getting some new output after all, and not only Cyril. Good news if so. I always found the output from CNN London to be the best on the network.

Who knows maybe CNN learnt their lesson from the Hong Kong situation - where they completely removed daily output from there just as it all started to kick off. If there was ever a time for CNN to do more output from London, it's the next few months. You could see them having Becky and Quest back in the UK for a bit like they often do when there are major UK stories.

Newer posts