The Newsroom

CNN International

IS
Inspector Sands
CNN apparently now isn't even its home country America's news leader, let alone the world's!
Fox gains more viewers in the US, right?

I think that's been the case for many years now. However Fox is more of a domestic news channel than CNN, it has nowhere near the carriage or audience outside the US. CNN is the ubiquitous internaional news channel, its everywhere.

There's no way for international channels to accurately and comparatively get their ratings so how CNN does against the BBC or others like Al Jazeera we'll never know for sure
CH
Charles World News
CNN apparently now isn't even its home country America's news leader, let alone the world's!

I think that's been the case for many years now. However Fox is more of a domestic news channel than CNN, it has nowhere near the carriage or audience outside the US. CNN is the ubiquitous internaional news channel, its everywhere.

There's no way for international channels to accurately and comparatively get their ratings so how CNN does against the BBC or others like Al Jazeera we'll never know for sure

CNN International is still a news channel. CNN Domestic and Fox News are talk radio on TV.
CI
cityprod West Country (West) Spotlight

CNN International is still a news channel. CNN Domestic and Fox News are talk radio on TV.

I'd have to disagree here, CNN domestic is much more of a news channel, it doesn't really come across as a NewsTalk product the way Fox News does. MSNBC similarly doesn't come across as NewsTalk, just as a news channel that does use more talking heads, like CNN does. Fox News really crosses the line into NewsTalk though, as do channels like Newsmax and OAN. CBSN is most like the news channels that we're used to with lots of reporting. CNN and MSNBC have moved somewhat away from that model and use more guests and talking heads, but are still basically news channels in their basic structure. Fox News is the one that crossed right over into the NewsTalk model.
NE
Newsroom
Becci Anderson has been and continues to anchor the overnight segment from CNN from Abu Dhabi, instead of the usual line up out of Atlanta.
BF
BFGArmy Channel Channel Islands
I do wonder how the likes of Hala Gorani, Becky Anderson, Quest etc feel about not being allowed to do breaking news coverage even when it's an international, non-UK, news story, these days. It's only the overnight Atlanta CNNI people that get to be on screen during breaking news, because they get to be on CNN US as well.

It's been a non stop simulcast since this news broke, with CNNI overnight taking over for a few hours, and I don't see this ending any time soon....

It seems to be the case too for all breaking news stories these days - a particular example that springs to mind was when there was a Domestic simulcast during the Notre Dame fire. Luckily it was Brianna Keilar who was on air on Domestic at the time who did a great job as usual but that was a story that was very much on International's patch and you had Hala's slot coming up who would've been exactly the anchor you wanted covering the story.
If International aren't given the chance to take the lead even on a story like that, they're clearly just there to be Domestic's sister channel. A shame as CNNI is by far the superior operation.
GI
ginnyfan World News
Exactly.

As expected, come noon and we have Middle East expert Christi Paul on New Day weekend taking over..... Rolling Eyes
NE
Newsroom
I do wonder how the likes of Hala Gorani, Becky Anderson, Quest etc feel about not being allowed to do breaking news coverage even when it's an international, non-UK, news story, these days. It's only the overnight Atlanta CNNI people that get to be on screen during breaking news, because they get to be on CNN US as well.

It's been a non stop simulcast since this news broke, with CNNI overnight taking over for a few hours, and I don't see this ending any time soon....

It seems to be the case too for all breaking news stories these days - a particular example that springs to mind was when there was a Domestic simulcast during the Notre Dame fire. Luckily it was Brianna Keilar who was on air on Domestic at the time who did a great job as usual but that was a story that was very much on International's patch and you had Hala's slot coming up who would've been exactly the anchor you wanted covering the story.
If International aren't given the chance to take the lead even on a story like that, they're clearly just there to be Domestic's sister channel. A shame as CNNI is by far the superior operation.

I disagree to an extent. Domestic utilizes and relies heavily on the powerful operation of CNNI who in my opinion if far superior to the resources of the BBC, certainly in terms of personnel on the ground.

CNN is an American channel, is based in America, it’s only natural it would want to anchor the majority of its output.
BF
BFGArmy Channel Channel Islands
Exactly.

As expected, come noon and we have Middle East expert Christi Paul on New Day weekend taking over..... Rolling Eyes

Though to give CNN some credit, I do notice Martin Savidge is anchoring alongside her who has done a few International shifts over the years.

I just hope we don't have the joys of Ana Cabrera later.

Maybe it's CNN's choice to have a different approach but I'm surprised they don't do what BBC sometimes does with big breaking news and have both a world and domestic anchor appearing together - especially on weekends as much of the Domestic weekend output is from Atlanta.
GI
ginnyfan World News
^^^They did that a lot during the years of Arab Spring coverage and many other big international breaking news stories in 2011,2012 etc . We even had anchors together on the ground, like Hala and Anderson in Cairo. At times, they would even let CNNI anchors present on CNN US on their own. Hard to imagine that in the CNN Trump era.

NE
Newsroom
Exactly.

Though to give CNN some credit, I do notice Martin Savidge is anchoring alongside her who has done a few International shifts over the years.

I just hope we don't have the joys of Ana Cabrera later.

Maybe it's CNN's choice to have a different approach but I'm surprised they don't do what BBC sometimes does with big breaking news and have both a world and domestic anchor appearing together - especially on weekends as much of the Domestic weekend output is from Atlanta.

That remark about Christi Paul really doesn't stand up I'm afraid. She's a very experienced anchor who has managed some of the last decade's major Breaking stories over New Day Weekend. She'll have as much experience at Middle East anchoring as any other anchor at CNN domestic, unless you're Wolf Blitzer. Same goes for Ana Cabrera, handles Breaking News with ease and experience.
WH
what West Country (East) Points West

So much for International viewers getting an International perspective on international news. With these US domestic simulcasts, we just get a US perspective...
It's not great for an International channel.

Fox News is the top cable channel for overall viewership with around 1.4m viewers, MSNBC is second with 1.1m, while CNN doesn’t even pass a million anymore (778,000; which places it in 4th overall).
DE
derek500 West Country (West) Points West
what posted:

So much for International viewers getting an International perspective on international news. With these US domestic simulcasts, we just get a US perspective...
It's not great for an International channel.

Fox News is the top cable channel for overall viewership with around 1.4m viewers, MSNBC is second with 1.1m, while CNN doesn’t even pass a million anymore (778,000; which places it in 4th overall).

Those ratings are much lower than the most recent prime time figures I can find, perhaps they're the full day averages?:-

Fox News averaged 2.5 million viewers per night in 2019, the most in its 23-year history, making the network the most-watched channel on basic cable.

According to Nielsen Media Research, Fox News beat out ESPN, with its 1.78 million viewers, and third-place MSNBC, which drew an average of 1.75 million viewers in prime time. Fox topped its cable competitors for a fourth straight year, Nielsen said.

CNN finished 22nd, with an average of 972,000 viewers per night.

The top five shows in cable news for 2019 were Fox's "Hannity," with 3.3 million, followed by "Tucker Carlson Tonight," with 3.1 million.

MSNBC's "Rachel Maddow Show" was third, with 2.78 million, followed by Fox's "The Ingraham Angle," with 2.57 million, and "The Five" at 2.55m.

Carlson and Maddow switched places in the 2019 rankings compared to the previous year, when Maddow claimed the No. 2 ranking. 

Among broadcast networks, CBS took the top spot with an average of 7.14 million viewers in prime time. NBC was second, with 6.33 million, followed by ABC, with 5.19 million. Fox TV was fourth, at 4.62 million, but it was the only broadcast network among the four to increase viewership from 2018.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/476220-fox-news-hits-record-high-viewership-in-networks-23-year-history

Newer posts