TV Home Forum

This Morning

Social distance no more thanks to clever tech. (p184) - 16/04/18 onwards (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DJ
DJ Dave
Didn't they kind of skim past the era that Lorraine was co-hosting with Phil? didn't she do that for a while?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Didn't they kind of skim past the era that Lorraine was co-hosting with Phil? didn't she do that for a while?

Wasn't that to cover Fern when she went down to three days until her daughter went to school? I can't really think of anything notable from that era.
BR
Brekkie
For a chunk of the Phil and Fern era certainly until Ruth became the regular Friday host and Fern returned to doing four days a week.

Found myself watching Central for the 6pm news and they used the tedious link of Allison Hammond being a Brummie to justify the This Morning feature, introducing it with her best bits taken from Lorraine, complete with Lorraine graphics and clock.
CB
ChipperBird
No mention of the floating weather map or Freddie T!

The map appeared in a few clips in short moments, but probably would of been awkward to address. I'm sure someone other than Fred did the map a few times, - it might of been nice to see those clips as I was fond of the map bit as a kid.

That said I remember the whole Leslie thing. That brought a lot of complicated thoughts as I enjoyed him on Blue Peter and thought the way it was handled by the media was kind of awful. That said he didn't help himself by getting caught snorting cocaine in the "paper sting" mentioned. Back then that was a potential career ender in of itself.

Also I recall Fern and Phil got on very well together as co-hosts. Was there ever any hint of that going frosty before she up and left? It just seems weird to suddenly hold a grudge for 10 years over any small comment or issue with pay.
BR
Brekkie
Sadly it's not that uncommon at all for TV partnerships that seemed pretty much perfect to viewers for years and based on genuine friendship to fall apart after they stop working together - if it's not money it's usually about ego, and of course when such partnerships break up it's usually one person quitting and moving on, which can cause resentment in itself.

It's just like in the real world really - you can work with somebody every day for years and get on really well with them, but once they leave there is no guarantee that friendship will still be there.
DJ Dave, Jonwo and DE88 gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Where is 89-93?

A fun little Twitter poll that you might want to get involved in!

WH
Whataday Founding member
Also I recall Fern and Phil got on very well together as co-hosts. Was there ever any hint of that going frosty before she up and left? It just seems weird to suddenly hold a grudge for 10 years over any small comment or issue with pay.

If you watch clips post-gastric band revelation, there is definitely a different atmosphere. Can't pinpoint it to that but there's something about the relationship that comes across as false in the last year.
MR
mr_vivian
I thought it was very slim on Eamonn and Ruth's contributions to the show and I don't think it was noted that Ruth is the longest presenter of the show.

I met Ruth breifly she's a busy lady but also so down to earth and she seems quite honest.

She's publicly said how disappointed she was when she didn't get the gig over Fern at the time. She wasn't impressed Eamonn was going to work with her but she didn't mind it over time. Who wouldn't be a bit uneasy about working with their partner?

... and let's not forget Ruth's "oh f**k" moment when she tripped over a wire but I guess that is post watershed lol. Kind of wish it went out on an alright on the night timeslot so they could show the ruder stuff.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I thought it was very slim on Eamonn and Ruth's contributions to the show and I don't think it was noted that Ruth is the longest presenter of the show.

They're not the brand...

Jonwo posted:
Didn’t realise Piers Morgan had guest presented

They discuss that briefly here:

I'm surprised the move from Studio 8 to TVC wasn't mentioned, but I guess that was done to death on moving day earlier this year.
MA
mannewskev
RDJ posted:
Looking at the app and they have a gallery of photos from the past 20 years and have come across one of interest...

Interestingly it appears that they painted the outside of their studios on the South Bank well before their current look before their departure in April.

I didn't know it was done before then. Though it does include a pretty terrible drawing of Phil and Fern.

I think Lorraine Kelly's face was added to this latterly, as she presented Monday and Friday at the time.
WH
Whataday Founding member
JB
JasonB
Alison Hammond is doing the weather map on the Albert Dock. I wonder what stunt they’ll have planned to interrupt her?

Newer posts