TV Home Forum

CBS Late Night Changes Part 2:

A swap be on the cards? (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Always surprises me how low US network and cable ratings are for a country 5 times the population of the UK.
BR
Brekkie
Always surprises me how low US network and cable ratings are for a country 5 times the population of the UK.

And how high the budgets are. Corden is getting fewer viewers than a flop 5pm chat show would get here.

48 days later

IS
Inspector Sands
So the latest on this is that it seems the late night shows are seeing a bit of a Trump Bump, in particular Saturday Night Live which is the most popular it's been in 22 years.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_589b3615e4b0c1284f299ad4

The big headline as far as this thread is concerned is that Colbert has beaten Jimmy Fallon in the ratings for the first time:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/stephen-colbert-late-show-beats-jimmy-fallon-trump-bump.html
JA
james-2001
I think someone over here should pick up SNL, I think with Trump it would probably do well. As long as it's not stuck on at some ungodly hour like when channels here have tried showing it before.
IS
Inspector Sands
I think someone over here should pick up SNL, I think with Trump it would probably do well. As long as it's not stuck on at some ungodly hour like when channels here have tried showing it before.

It has been tried a few times and it never works here. I don't know whether that's because it's shown out of its context here and without all its history.... or whether it's because it's just not funny?

Because normally, except for the recent few Trump sketches that have gone 'viral' it's really not that good (and even those would go over the heads of the average UK viewer). I remember seeing it when it was shown over here, eager to see what all the fuss was about. They did a few lame short sketches and had a musical act then came on and said goodbye! The cast all looked very proud and were obviously very pleased with themselves and the show but I was sat there thinking 'was that it?'

Maybe part of it is that the yanks don't have as big a history of sketch shows as us. SNL and Rowan and Martin and that's about it really, in terms of mainstream anyway. It doesn't cut the mustard here
GO
gottago

It has been tried a few times and it never works here. I don't know whether that's because it's shown out of its context here and without all its history.... or whether it's because it's just not funny?

Because normally, except for the recent few Trump sketches that have gone 'viral' it's really not that good (and even those would go over the heads of the average UK viewer). I remember seeing it when it was shown over here, eager to see what all the fuss was about. They did a few lame short sketches and had a musical act then came on and said goodbye! The cast all looked very proud and were obviously very pleased with themselves and the show but I was sat there thinking 'was that it?'

Maybe part of it is that the yanks don't have as big a history of sketch shows as us. SNL and Rowan and Martin and that's about it really, in terms of mainstream anyway. It doesn't cut the mustard here

I completely agree. All these late night shows seem to have an online fan base over here but I think for most Brits the humour of these shows are either so forced or so poor that they never work when they're shown here. I've tried to watch them a number of times but they're just unbearable.

Having said that I find the history and politics of these shows absolutely fascinating and The War For Late Night is an excellent book.
:-(
A former member
SNL is ok, but it nothing great, I have seen a few recent shows, and will there meh. Even people in the US have complained about the show, TO be fair there has been some gems, from the series: as said its like donkey on broken tread mill.

This could have been done every single week:

Celebrity Jeopardy I remember seing this years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch_hoYPPeGc&list=PLGd1mvprtuq9MT0Hsb-aU8MgjeqDuLrVM&ab_channel=SaturdayNightLive
sbahnhof 7 and London Lite gave kudos
EL
elmarko
Celebrity Jeopardy is a classic and I have several in MP3 format

61 days later

DJ
DJGM
Looks like the rumoured changes won't be necessary after all.

The New York Times ... How Stephen Colbert Finally Found His Elusive Groove

Quote:

Mr. Colbert has done what was unthinkable a year ago: turned “The Late Show” into the most viewed show in
late night. And President Trump is not the only reason.

In not totally unrelated news ... David Letterman's mother Dorothy, who featured on Dave's incarnation of The Late Show in a semi-regular segment called "Dave's Mom", has sadly passed away aged 95. Today of all days, on Dave's 70th birthday.
VMPhil, Critique and Inspector Sands gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
Fascinating article. I find it interesting that Colbert's apparent turning point was not on his own show but on a live show on a different, pay TV channel. I didn't realise Colbert had taken over Fallon.
Brekkie and Critique gave kudos
DJ
DJGM

Fascinating article. I find it interesting that Colbert's apparent turning point was not on his own show but on a live show on a different, pay TV channel. I didn't realise Colbert had taken over Fallon.

Technically, it was an edition of The Late Show, broadcast from the same Ed Sullivan Theater stage as usual, but moved to CBS pay TV cable channel Showtime, as the main CBS network had the serious coverage of the election results from CBS News all night.

Colbert's special was titled "Stephen Colbert’s Live Election Night Democracy’s Series Finale: Who’s Going To Clean Up This S**t?!?" ... !
WH
Whataday Founding member
Similarly on the same night there was a live edition of The View on Lifetime.
Last edited by Whataday on 12 April 2017 4:34pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts