TV Home Forum

Sky / Discovery Dispute

Full scale war breaks out - Peace reached with 4.5hrs to go, (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
a516digital reports the deal is for both UK-Ireland and Germany-Austria.
HC
Hatton Cross
Sky have announced on their website for subscribers . . .

http://i67.tinypic.com/23lk0v4.jpg

Err - Sky, you already have PBS America on your channel line up.

Either you meant that the carridge deal has been renewed and extended, you are moving them futher up the EPG, putting the channel in HD, or bringing the content to download via On Demand.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I suspect that the Bundesliga might have intervened. They've sold a rights package to Eurosport so the channel being missing on Sky D. would have been catastrophic. I suspect that the Bundesliga might have pressed Sky to resolve this providing leverage. The Bundesliga are now keen to spread rights around, moreso than the Premier League.
DV
dvboy
The off air slide is still broadcasting on 4461.
UK
UKnews
So Discovery caved, as I thought, they have lost my respect, and made themselves look like a bunch of clowns.

The fact that Sky has come out and said they caved, is significant as well, Sky now have Discovery on a lead. They are Sky's little pet. Crying or Very sad

I'd take such a press statement with a serious pinch of salt - there was almost certainly some give on both sides. Don't quite understand why you think they are 'clowns'. For their part Discovery are saying the deal is 'meaningfully better' than the previous one and Sky's proposal.

Sounds like a compromise to me.
Jeffmister, London Lite and dbl gave kudos
DB
dbl
They are Sky's little pet. Crying or Very sad

Pfft.. from someone on the inside, it's not how you're describing it. It's actually laughable.

Bingo!
LF
learned friend
So Discovery caved, as I thought, they have lost my respect, and made themselves look like a bunch of clowns.

The fact that Sky has come out and said they caved, is significant as well, Sky now have Discovery on a lead. They are Sky's little pet. Crying or Very sad

I'd take such a press statement with a serious pinch of salt - there was almost certainly some give on both sides. Don't quite understand why you think they are 'clowns'. For their part Discovery are saying the deal is 'meaningfully better' than the previous one and Sky's proposal.

They are clowns because of the way they carried out a low class social media campaign, and then caved into Sky. Discovery have accepted a deal that they said was unfair a few days ago. Sky did not move from their position. Discovery should have just accepted the original deal if they were not prepared to stick it out.

Discovery will never be able to negotiate a good deal again. Discovery should have pulled the channels, and then waited for Sky to approach after a large number of customers ran, in my opinion. But what does it matter now, the deal is apparently done.
PL
plymouthbloke1974
If they didn't move from their position, how is the deal "meaningfully better" for Discovery?
LF
learned friend
dbl posted:

Pfft.. from someone on the inside, it's not how you're describing it. It's actually laughable.

Bingo!

I really don't understand what you are trying to say. What does PFFT mean?

How would you describe it, a 12 billion pound company tries to bluff and fails, while at the same time having their face rubbed in it by Sky. (the fact that Sky openly states Discovery accepted a week old deal, that's rubbing it in their face)

If they didn't move from their position, how is the deal "meaningfully better" for Discovery?

Im not sure, we know that Sky's last deal was made a week ago.

Between then and now, Discovery have released a statement claiming the price Sky offered was less than 10 years ago and unfair. Sky were apparently using their position in the market.

Then suddenly at the last moment, the deal is great and Discovery is happy.

It's rubbish, Sky have done well I must admit. But it's done now. End of for another 10 years. Zipper
Last edited by learned friend on 31 January 2017 9:21pm
DV
dvboy
I wonder of the offer (£) from Sky was the same, but the terms are different eg EPG positions, a couple more HD channels, more on-demand content etc - for example at the moment content from Eurosport can take days to appear on demand and doesn't stick around for long - perhaps we will see Eurosport 360 on Sky UK&ROI.
DB
dbl
dbl posted:

Bingo!

I really don't understand what you are trying to say. What does PFFT mean?

How would you describe it, a 12 billion pound company tries to bluff and fails, while at the same time having their face rubbed in it by Sky.

'Pfft' an expression you make, when someone is potentially talking utter guff.
sbahnhof 7 and Cavan gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I suspect there is more to this on both sides than Sky and Discovery are letting on. Whether those who claimed they'd leave would have done so is open to debate, after all not every Sky subscriber has access to social media so those who responded was probably less than a tenth of a percent of the total Sky subscriber page.

A compromise has clearly been reached, whether Discovery accepted less or Sky agreed to less (or same amount over a longer period possibly) is also up for debate. We may never know.

Newer posts