« Topics
MetalGearRex1,518 posts since 11 May 2016
London London
Quote:
We have worked really hard for more than a year to get a deal done for our customers with Discovery, so we are disappointed with their misleading claims and aggressive actions. We now feel it’s time to set the record straight. Because despite our differences, we love Discovery too.

We were prepared to pay a fair price for the Discovery and Eurosport channels and invest more in those channels to make them even better for our customers. We have offered hundreds of millions of pounds to Discovery, a $12bn American business, but that wasn’t enough. They asked the Sky Group to pay close to £1bn for their portfolio of channels, many of which are in decline.

Sadly, we have now had to prepare for Discovery to take their channels away from Sky customers, as they have threatened to do. It is Discovery’s choice to do this, not ours. We never left the negotiating table and they haven’t come back to it since they made their threats public this week.

Sky doesn’t boot channels off our platform. If Discovery don’t want their channels to disappear, as their public campaign suggests, they could have made arrangement to stay on Sky, including free to air with advertising funding or with their own subscription, but they’ve chosen not to do so.

Our commitment to our customers is this: We will spend every penny that we were going to pay to Discovery on more and better content that our customers value. This will come from sources around the globe and home grown shows and documentaries from the UK. We will continue to offer customers a huge range of content including hundreds of shows from The History Channel, National Geographic, PBS, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic, along with more amazing sport on Sky Sports Mix, available to all our customers.

We hope our customers understand that we have been working on their behalf and will always do that. We thank them for their support.

I'm not sure how much of this I am willing to believe. Ultimately, I don't think they will pump all the extra money into more programming. Me and my family don't watch that many subscription channels. However, the channels we do watch include: Discovery History, TLC & Animal Planet. Sky's message doesn't really help us and we now regret signing a 1 year contract. As soon as our contract expires, we will be reviewing our options as we pay £38 per month and don't really get our money's worth, especially not now.

I personally feel that Sky customers, will bear the brunt of the removal of these channels. Discovery has been, and historically was an integral part of the Sky packages. Removing it devalues the package, especially for those with the Variety Bundle (and to a lesser extent, the Box Sets Bundle). 12 channels is a big loss from the looks of it.

NOW TV customers won't suffer as much though - only the Discovery Channel will get removed (as its the only Discovery Networks service on the platform). I personally won't be bothered much as I don't watch the channel, most of my viewing for pay channels tends to revolve around mainly Sky1, GOLD, Comedy Central and Fox. The five terrestrials, ITV2, E4, Dave and streaming services make up the rest.
‘Kept you waiting, huh?’- Solid Snake
BBI45647 posts since 2 Aug 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Quote:
We have worked really hard for more than a year to get a deal done for our customers with Discovery, so we are disappointed with their misleading claims and aggressive actions. We now feel it’s time to set the record straight. Because despite our differences, we love Discovery too.

We were prepared to pay a fair price for the Discovery and Eurosport channels and invest more in those channels to make them even better for our customers. We have offered hundreds of millions of pounds to Discovery, a $12bn American business, but that wasn’t enough. They asked the Sky Group to pay close to £1bn for their portfolio of channels, many of which are in decline.

Sadly, we have now had to prepare for Discovery to take their channels away from Sky customers, as they have threatened to do. It is Discovery’s choice to do this, not ours. We never left the negotiating table and they haven’t come back to it since they made their threats public this week.

Sky doesn’t boot channels off our platform. If Discovery don’t want their channels to disappear, as their public campaign suggests, they could have made arrangement to stay on Sky, including free to air with advertising funding or with their own subscription, but they’ve chosen not to do so.

Our commitment to our customers is this: We will spend every penny that we were going to pay to Discovery on more and better content that our customers value. This will come from sources around the globe and home grown shows and documentaries from the UK. We will continue to offer customers a huge range of content including hundreds of shows from The History Channel, National Geographic, PBS, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic, along with more amazing sport on Sky Sports Mix, available to all our customers.

We hope our customers understand that we have been working on their behalf and will always do that. We thank them for their support.

I'm not sure how much of this I am willing to believe. Ultimately, I don't think they will pump all the extra money into more programming. Me and my family don't watch that many subscription channels. However, the channels we do watch include: Discovery History, TLC & Animal Planet. Sky's message doesn't really help us and we now regret signing a 1 year contract. As soon as our contract expires, we will be reviewing our options as we pay £38 per month and don't really get our money's worth, especially not now.

I personally feel that Sky customers, will bear the brunt of the removal of these channels. Discovery has been, and historically was an integral part of the Sky packages. Removing it devalues the package, especially for those with the Variety Bundle (and to a lesser extent, the Box Sets Bundle). 12 channels is a big loss from the looks of it.

My mother has already agreed with me that we should leave when our contract expires in OCTOBER. Until then, it is only £320.40 (inc. offers) for a bunch of channels that are either no longer there or don't interest us. Thanks SKY!

I don't watch The History Channel, because of the reasons demonstrated above. I don't watch Nat Geo because the content doesn't interest anybody in my family, along with PBS, Sky Arts, or Sky Atlantic. Plus, we don't care about sport. Any money pumped into these channels, doesn't improve anything for my family.

We will now effectively be paying £320.40 in total between now and October for the 7 channels that we actually watch. Great Value! (sarcasm, obviously)
Tonight's weather: Dark
London Lite9,572 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
NOW TV customers won't suffer as much though - only the Discovery Channel will get removed (as its the only Discovery Networks service on the platform).

Wouldn't be surprised if Sky have something lined up to replace it on Now TV.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went for A+E's History instead considering the long relationship between them and Sky.
Brekkie29,672 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
The ticker has now appeared on Discovery Science and also Turbo.

Thankfully I'm on Virgin, and believe it or not I watch Science every night just for How It's Made.

Good on Discovery for holding out and telling Sky to beat it.

So Discovery are inflicting the on screen messages on viewers it doesn't affect.

This isn't about the viewer, it's about two large corporations misjudging the value of their channels. Discovery won't give two **** if their viewers leave Sky when they finally strike a deal a few months down the line.
Shouldn't that have been posted in the "John Logie Baird has Invented Television" thread?
nwtv20038,223 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
Discovery are now promoting their #KeepDiscovery tweets on Twitter and they're getting quite a response. A lot of people want out of Sky.

I wonder how many people will actually cancel outright? A number of subscribers are tied into contracts (usually 12 month term), and Sky will probably be offering incentives to stay like they usually do when people cancel.

I can see it being resolved, but not this week. Discovery needs Sky more than the other way round. Their channels are going to take a massive dent in ratings once they disappear from Sky, especially the lesser watched channels, such as Science, History and Shed.

Worth noting a couple of Discovery's channels, I think Shed and Home & Health have moved up the Sky EPG quite significantly too.
steve
steviegTVreturns
Rkolsen2,230 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World
The ticker has now appeared on Discovery Science and also Turbo.

Thankfully I'm on Virgin, and believe it or not I watch Science every night just for How It's Made.

Good on Discovery for holding out and telling Sky to beat it.

So Discovery are inflicting the on screen messages on viewers it doesn't affect.

This isn't about the viewer, it's about two large corporations misjudging the value of their channels. Discovery won't give two **** if their viewers leave Sky when they finally strike a deal a few months down the line.

Not many stations feel the need for alternative feeds unless a significant chunk of their audience is on one platform.

I think the messages on Virgin could also be used as a way to damage Sky's reputation even further.
Don’t let anyone treat you like your a VO/SOT when your a PKG.