The Newsroom

BBC Scotland News Thread

Reporting Scotland and Newsnight Scotland (December 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SC
scottishtv Founding member
I know we're a proud nation here in Scotland. Well done to my fellow countrymen, but this outpouring about "the Scottish contingent within Team GB"*finally* winning some medals does feel very parochial of Reporting Scotland on the Breakfast bulletins. In just a couple of minutes "the Scots within Team GB" were mentioned four or five times.

It's coming across as a total inferiority complex - in the reporting, I should add, not the Olympians themselves. Maybe it's a just a sigh of relief from BBC Scotland because they sent their own man out there to report on "the Scots".
PC
p_c_u_k
I kinda get what you mean, but it's Reporting Scotland, and the network programming has already covered in comprehensive depth all the UK athletes winning medals, so I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do.

Beyond that, local news on breakfast TV is normally hugely underfunded and press release city, so if they've got some live output to use instead I'd rather see that.
SC
Fair point, and I suppose it's no worse than "Scottish businessman travelled through terror-struck airport two weeks before attack", or "Plane crash victim once visited Scotland in 1984" which has about the same level of cringe factor,

Still, must be weird for Andy Murray having Kheredine Idessane follow him wherever he goes.

51 days later

CR
Critique
I noticed the other day that Politics Scotland has a new look (which I think must have happened fairly recently), after many a year using graphics aligned to (I think), the titles etc that the Daily Politics used a fair few moons ago! It now has a unique look that is quite nice, apart from the use of a serify font on the endboard of the titles, despite looking very modern everywhere else. I could be wrong, but I think there may be some new David Lowe music in there too - it has hints of being BBC News music, although is fairly unique.
SC
I noticed the other day that Politics Scotland has a new look

Not sure what I think of it. Hmmm. The old look was pretty dated though, especially the titles for the monthly Scottish Questions at Westminster, aptly titled "Scottish Questions".

14 days later

SC
The monthly ratings smash-hit "Scottish Questions" has also got the same new look. Must see TV.
iPlayer link.

51 days later

NT
NorthTonight
Scotland 2016 has been reduced to three nights for the past few weeks. Apparently there's now a chance it will live on ( albeit with a suitably amended title ) into next year.
:-(
A former member
Why is it still on? It was suppose to have been scraped for a new show.

13 days later

GU
Gusan
Special 'Budget' titles and music on Reporting Scotland tonight
GM
Gary McEwan
Gusan posted:
Special 'Budget' titles and music on Reporting Scotland tonight

It's the music that was used quite recently. Can't remember if they used it for the Scottish Election or the EU.
Last edited by Gary McEwan on 15 December 2016 8:31pm
GL
globaltraffic24
Unusual to use it for the Budget. My guess is they are playing around with themes, concepts, titles, etc before a potential refresh in the new year.
BR
Brekkie
Just highlights that the nations and regions can do something a bit more interesting when given the licence to go beyond a generic look. There was nothing particularly original or creative in the titles but they looked modern and crisp compared to the standard package - well until the endcap formation which was budget in more ways than one.

Newer posts