TV Home Forum

Sky news bulletins on Sky One ?

Should Sky News have news bulletins on sky one ? (December 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AL
alexhb01
As Sky One is the 6th channel on UK Television , and sky have there own news channel (as you all know) - I would of thought maybe they would have Sky news bulletins on the Sky One channel. It would certainly make the channel more interesting. Because I don't really watch it - and I would start to if there was more own it - like a news bulletin. And it would help promote sky news or boost the viewers of it.

I know there must be an obvious reason and this question is silly - But i Don't see why they don't have the bulletins ?? Rolling Eyes
LL
London Lite Founding member
Sister channel Pick has Sky News bulletins during the evening peak which are designed to cross promote Sky News on the various platforms.

Sky1 has had Sky News bulletins in the past though.
BR
Brekkie
No.

NEXT
ETP1 Forever and London Lite gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
As Sky One is the 6th channel on UK Television

No it isn't, however way you look at it.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Sky 1 is really poor these days. Most of the good stuff appears to been hived off to Sky Atlantic and so it makes for a really mediocre offering. It certainly isn't the '6th channel'.
eanok, bilky asko and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
Sky 1 is really poor these days. Most of the good stuff appears to been hived off to Sky Atlantic and so it makes for a really mediocre offering. It certainly isn't the '6th channel'.

This. A Guardian podcast (IIRC it was the Guardian) made a point that Sky's main channels - One, Living and Atlantic - are so similar that the hosts couldn't correctly guess which channel certain programmes were on. Since Atlantic is developing its own homegrown stuff as opposed to HBO imports, and Living has "un-feminined" itself to show more drama etc and become more generic, Sky essentially have three of the same channel.
FA
fanoftv
The only programmes I tend to watch on the channel at the moment are Arrow and The Flash. However this year I have enjoyed 50 ways to kill your mammy and duck quacks don't echo.

For the news, I'm not sure that the channel would benefit from it.
ET
ETP1 Forever
They did hourly daytime Sky News updates in the late 90s, which was achieved by sticking former Thames announcer Martin Weedon somewhere in the newsroom with the backing music from the Sky One idents

Precursor to 60 Seconds by the looks of things
GE
thegeek Founding member
TV Ark have another example: search for 'newsbreak' on this page
AL
alexhb01
OK Thanks !
FL
flaziola
ISTR that Sky News Ireland was shown on Sky1 (or Sky One at the time) in an attempt to bolster viewing figures for that program.
RO
rob Founding member
Here's a news update shown on Sky One from May 27th 1993. I have a few more of these which I shall upload in the New Year.

Newer posts