TV Home Forum

Channel 5 Possible Up For Sale?

(January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FO
fodg09
FT say Discovery are taking to Sky about getting them to join their bid for Channel 5.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1ccad1b6-9b1f-11e3-946b-00144feab7de.html?ftcamp=published_links%2Frss%2Fcompanies_media%2Ffeed%2F%2Fproduct#axzz2u09FnSZY

Bids due on Thursday. BT and NBC Universal/Comcast among the other possible bidders according to the FT.
BA
bilky asko
BT and Comcast are potentially the most interesting for presentation fans - especially the latter. How much would Comcast add an American influence to branding? I reckon they would be the two broadcasters most likely to tinker with the channel.
JK
JK08
Personally, I'm hoping for it to be BT. I'd love to see BT give it a new brand - BTN Perhaps? (BT Network) - They could use BT's 'globe' symbol as a great new branding device. The only UK terrestrial broadcaster to have a symbol, like in the US. (Or do the blocks count as a symbol?)
JO
Jon
JK08 posted:
Personally, I'm hoping for it to be BT. I'd love to see BT give it a new brand - BTN Perhaps? (BT Network) - They could use BT's 'globe' symbol as a great new branding device. The only UK terrestrial broadcaster to have a symbol, like in the US. (Or do the blocks count as a symbol?)

BTN or BT Network would be a terrible name the word network would not make sense or mean anything to viewers. If you were want to BT as part of the brand you wouldn't confuse that link by sticking another letter on the end, it would be a whole word or number.

There is a chance they'd keep the same name, if not it would most likely become BT 1 or BT 5.
Last edited by Jon on 22 February 2014 10:14pm - 3 times in total
JK
JK08
Jon posted:
JK08 posted:

BTN or BT Network would be a terrible name the word network would not make sense or mean anything to viewers. If you were want to BT as part of the brand you wouldn't confuse that link by sticking another letter on the end, it would be a whole word or number.

There is a chance they'd keep the same name, if not it would most likely become BT 1 or BT 5.

Would they not want to slightly differentiate between BT (the broadcaster) and BT (the telecommunications company)? BT1, okay, but personally, I think that BT5 would be an even more ridiculous name than BTN as it makes it sound like the fifth BT.
AS
ASO
I think that BT5 is a terrible name. It suggests that there is a BT 1, 2, 3 & 4. I hope that it is still called channel 5 but that it gets a brand refresh from whoever buys it. If BT were to buy it they could do a great job in raising the profile of sport and so could sky - by broadcasting certain events on ch5.

If sky were to buy it, would 5 news stay with ITN? Surely it would be produced by Sky news again.

An american channel would add a lot of content to the channel. Im not sure that Discovery is best suited to ch5 though - the discovery channel and ch5 contrast heavily.
JO
Jon
JK08 posted:
Jon posted:
JK08 posted:

Would they not want to slightly differentiate between BT (the broadcaster) and BT (the telecommunications company)?

No, otherwise they'd be doing that with their sport channels wouldn't they? BTN sounds far too corporate and the N would take the emphasis off the BT. I wouldn't like BT 5 as name for the same reasons, but it's one of a few logical solutions i can invision in the scenario where Channel 5 gets taken over by BT.
DJ
DJ Dave
I think the channel should have a total refresh and instead of calling it channel 5 just call it five Very Happy
BR
Brekkie
BT will probably only buy it if Richard Desmond throws in the BBC as well.
DV
DVB Cornwall
No problem with continuing using 5, channel 5 or five as the channel name, associated BT branding alongside this would delineate it's ownership.

'You're watching five from BT' as an occasional voiceover ident could be used as well.
AS
ASO
Some revoloutionary thoughts going on here...
I think the channel should have a total refresh and instead of calling it channel 5 just call it five Very Happy

Not very creative. Razz
Last edited by ASO on 22 February 2014 11:29pm
JO
Jon
No problem with continuing using 5, channel 5 or five as the channel name, associated BT branding alongside this would delineate it's ownership.

'You're watching five from BT' as an occasional voiceover ident could be used as well.

I'd imagine they'd either go all in and rebrand it or keep the branding seperate like Sky do with Pick TV.

Newer posts