The Gallery

BBC News Filler

A musical mock (May 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BB
BBCWalesToday
When I was procrastinating and not finishing my dissertation last weekend, this happened.

Hope you like it. Was kinda going for a more minimalistic-softer-yet-still-urgent-sound.
Cavan, Bail and bkman1990 gave kudos
AG
AxG
Does not suit BBC News or any news channel IMO, it belongs in a night club.
BB
BBCWalesToday
AxG posted:
Does not suit BBC News or any news channel IMO, it belongs in a night club.

So glad you said that. I'd quite happily dance to Lowe's in a nightclub. So... good.
JO
Jonny
Could work for 60 seconds or Newsbeat.
BB
BBCWalesToday
Jonny posted:
Could work for 60 seconds or Newsbeat.

I didn't realize how dancy it was. Just goes to show how you can get lost in something. That's an idea... I can remember Newsbeat having synth similar to the bass I used at one time.
BA
Bail Moderator
Blumming marvelous! Would love to hear an extended version. Is this your own work entirely, no samples? My only "criticism" is that your pips are two fast and not on the second, presumably why you left the numbers off.
Last edited by Bail on 21 May 2013 6:07pm
JA
james
Tune!!!! That's fantastic! How long did it take to make? And it would be great in use on a business break-filler like Sky do.
RO
rob Founding member
Absolutely fantastic stuff!
BB
BBCWalesToday
Bail posted:
Blumming marvelous! Would love to hear an extended version. Is this your own work entirely, no samples? My only "criticism" is that your pips are two fast and not on the second, presumably why you left the numbers off.

Glad you like it! I think I might work on an extended version this weekend. The only samples I used heavily were some Star Trek SFX that I ran through a ring/pitch shifter... they made up the 'wooshy' SFX of the data streams - the rest was done almost entirely using synths from Image-Line... Morphine in particular.

I originally had the track at 120BPM but it sounded too slow for my liking so I changed it to 128.

james posted:
Tune!!!! That's fantastic! How long did it take to make? And it would be great in use on a business break-filler like Sky do.

Thanks James. It took me about 3 days. It's quite a simple track really - the percussion was probably the trickiest aspect.

I think that's a cool idea!

rob posted:
Absolutely fantastic stuff!

Thank you Rob!!
VV
VividandVisual
Hey- I really like it!
Makes me think that this is how liquid news would sound if it was still on- really good work!

Would be ideal for 60s or something like that- good work: ) Very Happy
BA
bilky asko
My response to this is two-pronged.

Firstly, this is a good-quality track. It could do with some development so it develops and unfolds, but that's a matter of time, and I can't criticise you for that.

Secondly, however, I don't think this track would work on BBC News. The change in the BPM makes it feel like a remixed track, and I think the overall feel of it doesn't scream news, or gravitas. However, I think the repurposing of it to an appropriate format does help.

Overall, I'd say it's a 3/5 simply because it could do with more time on it (the good basis leads me to think you certainly have the capacity to improve it).
SR
SomeRandomStuff
My response to this is two-pronged.

Firstly, this is a good-quality track. It could do with some development so it develops and unfolds, but that's a matter of time, and I can't criticise you for that.

Secondly, however, I don't think this track would work on BBC News. The change in the BPM makes it feel like a remixed track, and I think the overall feel of it doesn't scream news, or gravitas. However, I think the repurposing of it to an appropriate format does help.

Overall, I'd say it's a 3/5 simply because it could do with more time on it (the good basis leads me to think you certainly have the capacity to improve it).

100% agree with what Bilky has said.

Good Work Scott. - on a side note... i seem to remember there being many other videos on your channel, why did you delete them?

Newer posts