TV Home Forum

ITV1 Christmas 2012 presentation

Split from ITV Discussion Thread (December 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BE
Benjamin1
Let's Do Christmas with Gino & Mel airs in place of Loose Women from December 10 for two weeks.
TH
Thames
Historically it would be too early to put them up, but over the last 15 years or so more people put their decorations up earlier now, many around here putting them up on the first, and few have already had them up a week by this point.

Also the money spent on creating this package is better value for money if they can get as much use as they can from it, lets face it they wont be able to recycle it again next year, so get a couple more weeks out of them this year. And it's much better for the channel to be leading by getting their pres on first than seen as playing catch up, which lets face it ITV in general has been playing catch up for years. so maybe this is just another example that this year they have turned things around.

On a final note viewing habits have changed a lot over the last decade with more people watching recordings through Sky + and a alike, these people tend (like my wife) tend to fast forward straight through the intro's and into the show. having your Christmas presentation launch earlier gives them a chance to catch it too.

I rather like it I have to say I think ITV for once has set down the gauntlet to the others.
TO
tomo359
I do love this years package, I know its on early, but to be honest I don't mind, at least they have more than one ident.

Will say a few things, firstly the news ident, I think its brilliant they did one this year as normally they just use one of the standard idents like Sunflowers or Buildings! But its such a shame it comes across as such a last minute thought by the editing on it!
I don't mind the fact it goes down then back up, and back down again, but the fact its clearly just going forward then In reverse makes it look quite cheap. I'm sure they could have made it so the ITV1 logo isn't seen straight away, and maybe start lower down the tree working up to the logo at the top to reveal the logo, then maybe zooming out slowly so the logo stays on screen but there is still something happening.

With the other idents, they are lovely, but I think the transitions between segments on the tree are a bit weak, like with the soaps one, it starts by zooming out from the rovers, then suddenly changes and zooms in to the wookpack, then suddenly changes again to show video of downton abbey, it again just makes it feel like the editing was a last minute thing. I'm not really sure how they could have done it differently, maybe panning down parts of the tree or something, but this isn't a major complaint or anything, just something I noticed.
Also for some reason, even though that style editing is done across all the idents, I only seem to notice it with the soaps one!
One last minor gripe (sorry) is the logo on screen, when the wide shot is seen with the tree one side and the fireplace the other, the logo just looks oddly placed, again not fully sure why I think this, it looks like it was meant to sit in line with the fireplace, but ends up being to one side.
Don't know if this would suit, but what if they had done it so the logo was within the flames of a fire in the fireplace? I know it doesn't suit he mechanics/metal theme but I think it would look lovely on the ident, but then I guess they couldn't use the logo elsewhere! Sorry I'm just prattling on now Very Happy

The breakbumpers are a bit odd, a bit of footage from the idents with an enormous logo stuck over them. I would have thought I better idea would be to maybe focus on the ITV1 logo that appears throughout the tree such as on the train, and the logo at the top, and make the footage separate from the idents, like they used to do with the original break bumpers for the channel (think market, street etc)

Anyway, despite most of my post being moans, I do actually like this years package, and I have to say I love the two christmas promos! I have noticed though they don't seem to be promoting any films? Are they not showing many this year or just not making a big deal out of them??
:-(
A former member
I notice Crabbies are back again this year

You can get some cream for that.
IS
Inspector Sands
Whether we like or not the Christmas season is with us, shops playing Christmas songs for weeks, every town with festive lights switched on, Christmas ads on every ad break, Joe Public putting up house decorations, people busy shopping for gifts, children rehearsing the school nativity etc etc. ITV is being reflective of the season and what is happening in their audiences lives. Christmas is here.

And it's also worth remembering that for ITV, Christmas essentially ends on December 24th. Now is the important bit for them.... when they can sell more advertising. It kinda makes sense to start the festivities early
A former member
Then it's on to hogmanny and January sales advert for itv. Has Stv got any thing yet?
FA
fanoftv
After seeing ITV1's Christmas Idents for a few days now, I really like them, the conception is brilliant. It's also nice to hear a different tune over the idents.

Part's of them look real because of the reflections, such as on the train, where as other parts look like a lot of CGI. Is it a mixture of both, or just very clever animation?

As a side note, ITV2 are now in Christmas mode with what looks to be an improved version of last years with more detail, and more characters.
A former member
As a side note, ITV2 are now in Christmas mode with what looks to be an improved version of last years with more detail, and more characters.

More on ITV2's Christmas presentation here...
ID
Identity
They have slowed down the news ident now and it no longer loops
FA
fanoftv
They have slowed down the news ident now and it no longer loops

It does look a lot better, however whilst rewinding to view it, in my opinion it looks better to start on the reindeer & end on the ITV1 logo.
RO
robharrison
while the graphics are okay ish, they haven't made any effort with the music track this year, all I can say is cheap and nasty. I don't like it at all.
DB
dbl
Cheap and nasty is a bit harsh, still sounds better than UTV's CASIO sounding tracks.

Newer posts