TV Home Forum

T4 brand to be dropped

(October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
Only a Broadcast link at the moment...

Quote:
Channel 4 is dropping the T4 brand after 14 years as it begins the search for a Friday night music show to refresh its youth programming.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/c4-axes-t4-brand-after-14-years/5047744.article
MD
Mr D'Arcy
I'm not surprised really, E4 clearly is the natural home of 'yoof' programming nowadays!
DV
dvboy
finally
JA
JAS84
Readable link
BR
Brekkie
Another poor decision by Jay Hunt and co. - but no surprise at all and it's yet another weekend tradition killed by yet another cookery show.

E4 obviously is C4's main focus now in attracting 16-34s but C4 still has obligations of it's own to that audience - and T4 helped fulfil them, and more importantly fill a good chunk of the weekend schedule. Now they'll face similar problems to ITV and end up with a daytime schedule at weekends which doesn't know what it's doing or who it's appealling too. Yes, I'm sure initially most T4 shows will remain in the schedule, but slowly but surely they'll probably make way for yet more Come Dine with Me repeats.
DB
dbl
Not exactly shocked, this was coming since its part relegation(?) to E4.
FA
fanoftv
Another poor decision by Jay Hunt and co. - but no surprise at all and it's yet another weekend tradition killed by yet another cookery show.

E4 obviously is C4's main focus now in attracting 16-34s but C4 still has obligations of it's own to that audience - and T4 helped fulfil them, and more importantly fill a good chunk of the weekend schedule. Now they'll face similar problems to ITV and end up with a daytime schedule at weekends which doesn't know what it's doing or who it's appealling too. Yes, I'm sure initially most T4 shows will remain in the schedule, but slowly but surely they'll probably make way for yet more Come Dine with Me repeats.

I couldn't agree with you more brekkie.
A well known, respected brand, lets see what it will be replaced with.
WP
WillPS
I don't see why things like T4 need to exist. The market they supposedly serve has little appetite for consuming content in such a way.
LL
Larry the Loafer
T4 is essentially "The Best of E4" fronted by some of the most unlikeable, arrogant presenters ever seen on television.
SW
SWatson7
T4 was very much a product of its time and I'm surprised its taken this long for them to make that decision, especially as the BBC have already long decided that kids programming is being removed from BBC1 and 2. Channel 4 are usually ahead in that regard.

Good to hear that they have plans for a new music show, will be interesting if they go for a populist approach or do something a bit more niche/'student' like Transmission with TMobile or The Album Chart Show.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Something For The Weekend (forgotten its new name) now also air on a Saturday.
DV
DVB Cornwall
T4 Kids? Teens and Youth more like it.
VM
VMPhil
T4 is essentially "The Best of E4" fronted by some of the most unlikeable, arrogant presenters ever seen on television.

Completely agree with this.

Newer posts