The Newsroom

BBC News Thread

General day-to-day goings on the 1, 6 and 10 o'clock news (April 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Joshua
Well she has Crimewatch UK every Month or so..
GR
gregmc
Quote:
This week I met George Fenton, the composer who wrote the Newsnight theme that's opened the programme in more or less the same way for the last 26 years.

As you'll know if you've read this column before, he's having a look at the theme to coincide with our forthcoming redesign and, yes, he agrees with me and most of you that any changes should be minimal.

He told me some fascinating things. The Newsnight theme is played in a 12/8 time signature, at least at first. (Quiz question: what does it do next?).

The legendary scratchy guitar bit is played on a Gibson SG Junior and could be a nightmare to replicate.

From Newsnights website regarding the new look coming soon to the programme.

So it looks like the music is going to stay more or less the same, just a few tweaks.
JO
Jonathan
Did anyone catch the 'coming up' on the Ten O Clock News, just before eight o clock? I know they used to do this during the war in Kosovo, but have they done this before, recently? Whenever they do this on BBC1, as it is out of the ordinary, it seems to be alarm me. What were the headlines Huw read out, I caught just the part about Bird Flu?
NS
NickyS Founding member
Jonathan posted:
Did anyone catch the 'coming up' on the Ten O Clock News, just before eight o clock? I know they used to do this during the war in Kosovo, but have they done this before, recently? Whenever they do this on BBC1, as it is out of the ordinary, it seems to be alarm me. What were the headlines Huw read out, I caught just the part about Bird Flu?

They do 'bumpers' for the Six and Ten a lot these days - and not just on big news nights.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
NickyS posted:
Jonathan posted:

They do 'bumpers' for the Six and Ten a lot these days - and not just on big news nights.

Indeed, Nicky, they were quite common during the 1999-2004 era too. I remember Michael Buerk and Peter Sissons standing in the newsroom promoting what was coming up on the Nine/Ten O'Clock News.
JA
jamesmd
One would think that with all the hype surrounding the Ten O'Clock News Hour, they'd update this website.
CT
ctb
Didn't want to start a new thread, but does anyone know 'the legal reasons' why the piece on the Artful Dodger on BBC News Online couldn't be broadcast?
SN
snarfu
International music rights issues
CT
ctb
snarfu posted:
International music rights issues

Which is strange because it played on Newsnight Online.
DA
Dan Founding member
The Ten's coming from N24 tonight - standby for 60" countdown Wink
JA
jamesmd
This regular for Fridays?
SE
Seb
Are there technical issues? Only one set of pictures for the headlines there.

However the studio is much better than N6 IMO and the N24 headline bed is better!

Newer posts