TV Home Forum

X Factor

Breaking: Series 16 scrapped (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gottago
BM11 posted:
Where else could BGT be broadcast? Only BBC1 surely?

That's the least likely. Five or Sky much more likely.

No, C5 and Sky aren't in the market for those sort of shows anymore so these would be the least likely to take it. BBC1 would be the only other viable option. But they won't be getting it anytime soon because there isn't a chance that ITV would let BGT go, X Factor or not.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

No, C5 and Sky aren't in the market for those sort of shows anymore so these would be the least likely to take it. BBC1 would be the only other viable option. But they won't be getting it anytime soon because there isn't a chance that ITV would let BGT go, X Factor or not.

Politically it might be toxic for the BBC to do so.
:-(
A former member
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

Yeah, nothing is as politically toxic as showing a frivolous talent show. Hell, this could lead to the abolition of the license fee.
GO
gottago
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

I can confirm that it would not be toxic.
Jonwo posted:
I think ITV need to be brave and axe The X Factor so they can use some of the money elsewhere, it'll be tough to fill those hours but I think Fremantle and Syco could negotiate that they replace The X Factor with a new format rather than just have a deal for solely BGT.

I wouldn't be surprised if ITV are waiting to see how The Masked Singer does before making a decision. If that's a hit then they have a ready made replacement.

Did ITV not have a similar show called Guess the Star a few years ago that was hardly much of a hit?

Guess The Star was a very basic, poorly produced show that had been tossed in development hell for years. I'm pretty sure they weren't singing in that show either, just miming.

It's worth watching some clips of the American Masked Singer, it's weirdly compelling. Amazing production values and you're genuinely interested in who's behind the mask, even if you've never heard of them! I've heard the British version is quite good.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

Yeah, nothing is as politically toxic as showing a frivolous talent show. Hell, this could lead to the abolition of the license fee.

Just the poaching from ITV - remember how much criticism airing the Voice got the BBC. Oddly Syco made Greatest Dancer did not get the criticism.
:-(
A former member
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

Just the poaching from ITV - remember how much criticism airing the Voice got the BBC.

Not really.
Quote:
Oddly Syco made Greatest Dancer did not get the criticism.

Nice of you to contradict your own point.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

Just the poaching from ITV - remember how much criticism airing the Voice got the BBC.

Not really.
Quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/oct/29/bbc-the-voice-itv-bbc1-bbc3
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9149298/BBC-faces-criticism-over-singing-show-The-Voice.html
NG
noggin Founding member
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

Just the poaching from ITV - remember how much criticism airing the Voice got the BBC. Oddly Syco made Greatest Dancer did not get the criticism.

The Voice was a case of spending a huge amount of money buying a format (that I suspect other broadcasters were also interested in - as confirmed by ITV taking over the rights) - separate to the production fees of the indie who made it.

I don't think there were huge format rights costs of the same magnitude for 'The Greatest Dancer' - that was just a production commission from Syco in reality.
BR
Brekkie
BM11 posted:

And Syco wouldn't want that. I think it's clear now Syco and Simon especially are as tired of The X Factor as the rest of us. I wouldn't be too surprised if Simon pulled it before ITV could axe it. Seemingly BGT 2020 is already in pre-production anyway, and that falls outside the current deal.

It could also be in Syco's interest to open up some hours on ITV and move on from The X Factor to developing "new" formats they can then sell around the world. Not much money to be made globally from The X Factor at the moment.
CA
Cando
BM11 posted:

I can confirm that it would not be toxic.
Jonwo posted:
I think ITV need to be brave and axe The X Factor so they can use some of the money elsewhere, it'll be tough to fill those hours but I think Fremantle and Syco could negotiate that they replace The X Factor with a new format rather than just have a deal for solely BGT.

I wouldn't be surprised if ITV are waiting to see how The Masked Singer does before making a decision. If that's a hit then they have a ready made replacement.

Did ITV not have a similar show called Guess the Star a few years ago that was hardly much of a hit?

Guess The Star was a very basic, poorly produced show that had been tossed in development hell for years. I'm pretty sure they weren't singing in that show either, just miming.

It's worth watching some clips of the American Masked Singer, it's weirdly compelling. Amazing production values and you're genuinely interested in who's behind the mask, even if you've never heard of them! I've heard the British version is quite good.

Yeah I remember the first pilot of Guess the Star was way back in 2011. That was closer to Stars in their eyes than The Masked Singer.

BM11 posted:

The Voice was a case of spending a huge amount of money buying a format (that I suspect other broadcasters were also interested in - as confirmed by ITV taking over the rights) - separate to the production fees of the indie who made it.

I don't think there were huge format rights costs of the same magnitude for 'The Greatest Dancer' - that was just a production commission from Syco in reality.

500k an hour was not huge even by 2012 especially for a massive shiny floor show. Around what The Apprentice cost back then and less than what Strictly did as the show was mainly pre recorded in chunks.
CA
Cando
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

Not really.
Quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/oct/29/bbc-the-voice-itv-bbc1-bbc3
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9149298/BBC-faces-criticism-over-singing-show-The-Voice.html

So politically toxic that they ran it for 5 years and the BBC signed 2 subsequent deals........

The Voice left the BBC mainly because the BBC wouldn't commission the Kids spin off which would have cost 8m and the Entertainment budget was already diminished.
NG
noggin Founding member
Cando posted:

500k an hour was not huge even by 2012 especially for a massive shiny floor show. Around what The Apprentice cost back then and less than what Strictly did as the show was mainly pre recorded in chunks.

At the time the format purchase costs got a significant amount of negative press, and it became clear that the BBC wouldn't be in the market for another big-ticket format rights purchase any time soon, and instead would be more likely to develop or commission new formats.

Newer posts