TV Home Forum

X Factor

Breaking: Series 16 scrapped

AS
Ash101
The Greatest Dancer isn’t fresh in the slightest, it’s just like BGT with only dancing. The same musical cues at dramatic moments, the same cut aways, the same judges comments.

Maybe not fresh as in new, but I think the concept makes it feel exciting. A bit like The Voice it has a novelty for the audition stages. Whereas X Factor feels same-old year after year.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
They need to bring back Pop Idol, that was a much friendlier show and more constructive.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
But doesn't make any money for Simon Cowell Razz
Revolution and Brekkie gave kudos
AS
Ash101

ITV haven't really got the space to find something new whilst The X Factor is in the schedules - there best chance is probably replacing it. Wouldn't be surprised if The Masked Singer ended up airing this autumn in it's Saturday slot.

Who owns the rights for The Masked Singer? Could ITV get the rights and ask Simon Cowell’s company to produce the series? Or do Syco not work on original shows?
GO
gottago London London

ITV haven't really got the space to find something new whilst The X Factor is in the schedules - there best chance is probably replacing it. Wouldn't be surprised if The Masked Singer ended up airing this autumn in it's Saturday slot.

Who owns the rights for The Masked Singer? Could ITV get the rights and ask Simon Cowell’s company to produce the series? Or do Syco not work on original shows?

Masked Singer is a South Korean show and I know its rights in the UK were being optioned by a production company very recently, though I don’t think it was Endemol who make it in the US.

It would be down to Syco themselves to pounce on the option if they wanted it in the first place rather than ITV handing it over to them.
GM
GMc STV Central Reporting Scotland

Sounds a bit like the one-off Guess the Star a couple of years ago...

I think viewers are probably a bit fed up with singing shows now. ITV have been relying on the format for a good few months of the year since 2001!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Making way for Noel's new show perhaps? Very Happy Seriously though there needs to be a new entertainment format for Saturday nights that doesn't involve just singing or dancing.

If there is no XF though this year that's a lot of hours to fill in the Autumn.
JK
JKDerry UTV Newsline
I have contacted ITV about this rumour, and we await an official reply - until then this is still just a rumour right?
:-(
A former member
Itv can not legally comment until everything is done by the book. Since staff need paid etc
DB
dbl London London
I have contacted ITV about this rumour, and we await an official reply - until then this is still just a rumour right?

I seriously doubt the press office is going to respond to this yet, expect a generic reply.
Last edited by dbl on 13 February 2019 12:17am
bilky asko, Brekkie and Joe gave kudos
JO
Jonwo (previously Jonwo87)

Masked Singer is a South Korean show and I know its rights in the UK were being optioned by a production company very recently, though I don’t think it was Endemol who make it in the US.

It would be down to Syco themselves to pounce on the option if they wanted it in the first place rather than ITV handing it over to them.

Bandicoot Television optioned the UK rights a few weeks ago so I'm guessing they're in the process of pitching it to broadcasters.
JM
JamesM0984
There's literally nothing about this online, however If it is true, then I think all can agree it isn't before time. It just looks like a show from another era.

The lives have done a huge amount for the genre in terms of lifting the bar in production terms; for example, it can certainly take some of the credit for influencing Eurovision's evolution into the slick product it is today compared to even just 15 years ago (and it's given the BBC a massive phone book when it comes to finding six people willing to do our National Final. Wink) It's also raised loads for charity and at its peak provided true water cooler moments. It's even allowed Rage Against The Machine to have a Christmas Number 1.

I think alongside the obvious there's a few reasons it went wrong. Firstly, it never made slow evolutions. It either stayed as it is, or made really radical baby-with-bathwater changes that got reversed after a year. It was a winning formula but it was the fact it was relentlessly formulaic what bought it down.

Secondly, the illusion of it being a fair fight was taken way too far around 2009-2011. The Lucie Jones vs Jedward singoff in 2009. The endless push for Misha B despite the public constantly rejecting her. Janet Devlin under the bus. The massacre that was the 2015 series, and the embarrassing lengths made to get Louisa Johnson over the line.

Then there's the interval acts. Once upon a time it was Lionel Richie, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston... world class artists. Massive current names like Beyonce or Britney or Gaga. Now though it's been every single member of 1D, Little Mix, Cheryl still trying to make herself happen, Louisa Johnson still trying to make herself happen... people notice the fact that the BIG stars can't be a**ed to show up.

But it's had its time. There's much easier and credible ways to get yourself a record deal now because it's so easy to self-release. Anyone can get a song out to the download sites and it's eligible for the chart. From there, a major label and radio will pick you up. Why destroy your self worth on X Factor?

Newer posts