TV Home Forum

30th Anniversary of ITV 1989 presentation

GET READY>>>> (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
The 1989 package brought some really good pres. There was loads of themed variants of the new ITV logo in trailers & promos. It proved to be a very adaptable logo.

In London both companies embraced it fully. At the time it was a bit of a shock to lose the individual branding especially LWT's. But looking back it was a great package and looked very slick and smart

On Thames it meant a long needed modernisation of their presentation, and it provided some cohesion between the two companies on air

The logo itself is fairly timeless and wasn't bettered by them until the current one was introduced. It wasn't that flexible, though the best adaptation of it was one Christmas when the triangle in the V was turned upside down and turned into a Christmas tree
ToasterMan and Brekkie gave kudos
AR
Argybargy
So Granada only used the altered version then?

Yes. And even that didn't last long.
BR
Brekkie
It really didn't work for some regions and generally speaking it was those regions that didn't take it. Overall though for ITV it was a very strong logo and I think has stood the test of time. There was something on just a few days ago which showed some footage from a 90s football game with the ITV Sport DOG and it didn't look bad at all.
MM
MMcG198
Why did they bother in 1989? Was it due to the upcoming Broadcasting Bill which would provide the basis for the 1991 Franchise Auction?

TV Room's Clean Feed site ran an ARTICLE on this a short time ago.

And a further ARTICLE on what happened post-1989.
RD
rdd Founding member
According to Wikipedia (take from that what you will) the Network Centre wasn't established until three years later.

1992. Not created by the 1990 Act, but because of it. The 1990 Act required there to be networking arrangements but didn’t say what they should be other than that they should allow Channel 3 to operate as a national television service. The ITC was required to approve the arrangements. The concern in putting together the arrangements was that what up to then were known as the Ten (ie the licencees other than London weekday, London weekend, Midlands, North West, and Yorkshire) and independent producers would have access to the network, which up until then had been more or less run as a cartel by the Five with limited access for the Ten and little or no access for indies. So the arrangements approved by the ITC included a mandate that a person not employed by any licensee should commission and schedule the programmes, and the ITV Network Centre was born out of a need for that person to have a support staff.
Last edited by rdd on 2 September 2019 5:58pm
ToasterMan and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
GL
Gluben
Seems as good a time as any to repromote ITV In The Face:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO4G8mt6pQUVctOTSRvKUys8Gkbq8c37T

Also rather coincidental that the government have re-used the campaign slogan as "Get Ready For Brexit"...
JA
jamesw83
Might be better to plug the revised editions on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/channels/itvintheface

EDIT: My fault for not checking this up properly, these were the revised editions. But if you want them on Vimeo for whatever reason, here they are.
Last edited by jamesw83 on 3 September 2019 1:24pm
GL
Gluben
Might be better to plug the revised editions on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/channels/itvintheface

I thought those YouTube ones were the revised editions? Either way, as long as people see them.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I think those YouTube versions are the revisions. The new series had longer episodes and new additions such as the Satellite and Digital episode and were initially uploaded to Vimeo. He must've managed to get them onto YouTube without incurring any copyright issues.
JA
jamesw83
So they are, my apologies, as I knew the originals were on Youtube, and usually marked up with "Don't watch these, watch the Vimeo ones". Very good to hear they're on a decent player now
NT
Night Thoughts
The 1989 package brought some really good pres. There was loads of themed variants of the new ITV logo in trailers & promos. It proved to be a very adaptable logo.

In London both companies embraced it fully. At the time it was a bit of a shock to lose the individual branding especially LWT's. But looking back it was a great package and looked very slick and smart

On Thames it meant a long needed modernisation of their presentation, and it provided some cohesion between the two companies on air

The logo itself is fairly timeless and wasn't bettered by them until the current one was introduced. It wasn't that flexible, though the best adaptation of it was one Christmas when the triangle in the V was turned upside down and turned into a Christmas tree

They did use slightly different cuts of the music, though - LWT's would run beneath the announcement, and they were fond of using a still of the ident too. And, of course, Thames dropped it pretty much the week after the fateful franchise announcement.

I remember beginning an A-level media studies course in 1990 and one of our first tasks was to deconstruct the 1989 ident.
JA
Jacq
At the time, I lived in the Border region, and I remember the Border logo that sits in the V, but I don't remember the ITV logo.

I was only little, though, so I wouldn't trust my memory too much. I'm mainly remembering it from Border Birthdays.

Newer posts