The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, ABC News and others from across the pond

(May 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
mark Founding member
It might be that they're just beefing up the association with NBC News - but I agree it does look like something's afoot.

I agree that extending the NBC News brand to an unashamedly left-wing channel isn't the way to go - unless NBC is really looking to pin its colours to a political mast in the way that Fox does. Equally, I hope they're not planning on ditching the left-leaning stuff in favour of straight news, as that would rip the heart out of the channel in my view.

For me, the MSNBC brand does quite a good job at combining the resources of NBC News with a progressive agenda, but keeping it slightly at arm's length.
RK
Rkolsen
MSNBC's promotions have included tags like "the power of NBC News".

I imagine they could do this to differentiate the daypart from primetime.
CH
Charles
My concern is that if MSNBC does rebrand, it'll damage the impartiality of NBC News as a whole. MSNBC is known as a left-wing, pro Democrats agenda network.

It never used to be like this, but when you have Rachel Maddow and co doing the same as Fox News (with the Republican Party) for them, it is a concern.

I think what distinguishes MSNBC from Fox is that they do separate out the punditry from rolling news. At the very least, although unabashedly leftist, MSNBC is not running a propaganda and misinformation-heavy operation like Fox has been doing since the Bush Administration.

The MSNBC of today is very different from the MSNBC of, say, 2013. There's still mostly left-leaning point of view programming at night, yes, and there's still the political circus that is Morning Joe, but during the day, MSNBC is much more of a rolling news channel again since Andy Lack's return. That's also not to mention that NBC has recently hired away two high profile Fox News personalities in the last few months. The days of filling the entire programming day with DNC-heavy point of view shows from people who were barely even journalists like Ronan Farrow or The Cycle are long over. And last time I checked, NBC/MSNBC isn't the one network that's persona non grata at the White House right now (*cough* CNN *cough*). It's very hard to argue that CNN's programming day doesn't also have a very clear point of view about the orange man in the bad suit right now...
Jeffmister, seamus and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
MA
mark Founding member
I guess one possibility is that they could keep the MSNBC name for the channel itself, but rebrand the 'MSNBC Live' news blocks (9-12 and 1-5) as 'NBC News'.
MO
Mouseboy33
Variety Magazine reports the reason for the NBC LOGOs on MSNBC. There does not, at this time, going to be a wholesale name change. Just a realigning of NBC News and MSNBC. As if anyone would think anything else.

Quote:
MSNBC Programs Start Giving More Space to NBC News Logos

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/msnbc-nbc-news-logos-1202015277/
RK
Rkolsen
Since the thread title includes "and others" I thought I'd share this case study from VIzRT on Vice News Tonight. Reading and watching this case study surprised me as I thought it would have been assembled offline versus a live playout environment. They use Octopus as their news production system where they build and stack the show. The show then uses Mozart to link all the different segments together.
MA
mark Founding member
Variety Magazine reports the reason for the NBC LOGOs on MSNBC. There does not, at this time, going to be a wholesale name change. Just a realigning of NBC News and MSNBC. As if anyone would think anything else.

Quote:
MSNBC Programs Start Giving More Space to NBC News Logos

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/msnbc-nbc-news-logos-1202015277/

I wasn't far off, then! Interesting that Variety picked up on this too.
RK
Rkolsen
To reiterate the fact that they're associated with NBC New they put up this ugly banner. This screen crap came from the early morning network news show Early Today at 4:00 AM. Last week they also added the NBC News logo across the glass window panes.

If they wanted the logo as a header / banner they should have done a monitor array where it could be changed. They're clearly not hurting for money.

(FYI The big Follow Us text was a ticker inserted by my station. It was in mid transition when I grabbed this.)

Edit : Appears the banner was removed later in the day.

30 days later

ST
stuartfanning
Joe and Mika are engaged!!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/04/media/mika-brzezinski-joe-scarborough-engaged/index.html
NY
NYTV
CBS This Morning was recently the subject of an article on how the show has reinvigorated CBS http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/how-cbs-reinvigorated-its-morning-show-by-going-back-to-the-basics/328541
Charles, WW Update and Aerial gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
MSNBC did a refresh of their graphics. The ticker and lower third have been extended to the left side of the screen. I don't have a capture but MSNBC Live has a new open which solely features the NBC News logo. The full screen graphics appear to be the same.

ADmanamDA and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
Just noticed this evening. Looks better than previous lower third which was horribly clunky. With the odd looking darts ont he LIVE bug and the time bug. Its a cleaner look, but a bit large and frankly a bit boring. There really is no animations. The ticker looks cleaner with out all those added color lines and bars. Over all a bit....meh.

Newer posts